Interesting Youth Season Spot on News

phade

Theres an easy way to show its good for hunting and doesnt hurt archery season. Just look at the states that have already implemented something similar. Also, you already have small game as well as waterfowl going on in this state, so gunshots are already going off in the woods during archery season.

I see it as nothing more than hunter greed really. The only group that I see attacking anyone/thing is the NYB.

I do agree that DEC sometimes screws the pooch though.

I would rather have our 14 and 15 years olds with archery equipment in their hands Columbus day weekend. Let's not loose sight of teaching the youth how to bow hunt. They will have plenty of time to shoot the woods up when regular season rolls along. How about a special youth archery season?

• Like 1

I am so sick of hearing " look at the other states that have similiar programs" this is not ohio or iowa or etc etc this is NY state. We dont have trophy deer all over the place like those states do.

Debateable to the Nth degree. Season structure and regs could change that big time....and I'm not talking about AR...wNY has some significant soil quality.

I am so sick of hearing " look at the other states that have similiar programs" this is not ohio or iowa or etc etc this is NY state. We dont have trophy deer all over the place like those states do.

Im sick of hearing greedy hunters make up reasons that they dont want others getting a crack at "their deer" before they do. Sorry, but that attitude is one of the major reasons that our recruitment numbers are dropping off like they are. Try looking further than the end of your nose and think of whats good for the sport. Rather than screw around with this unproven program and that one, DEC should just look at what programs are out there that are working and adapt them.

I would rather have our 14 and 15 years olds with archery equipment in their hands Columbus day weekend. Let's not loose sight of teaching the youth how to bow hunt. They will have plenty of time to shoot the woods up when regular season rolls along. How about a special youth archery season?

Id like to see kids get into bow hunting, but programs that help out with overall recruitment are good for the sport.

When would a youth bow season be fit in with the Oct 1 Opener now? Maybe do like the NZ and use last years tags or something like that? I could get behind that too.

This just keeps going on and on doesn't it? .... lol. Look, I've said it before, and I repeat it now. This idea of filling the year with special youth seasons is merely a cop-out for those that don't want to take time out of their hunting schedule to mentor a young person or two. So they simply come up with a "special season", and hope that someone else will volunteer to take a kid out for them. Let's face it, there is no reason why you cannot take a kid along during regular season. Most likely with the additional hunting pressure and the leafless woods, they will actually see more deer. But then, that means that we might have to let the kid take the shot and might actually have to put forth a real effort to actually help the kid get a deer. That's why I don't get all excited that the special youth season may be in jeopardy. Who cares? It's just a useless piece of window dressing anyway that makes everyone think that something wonderful has been done. For crying out loud people, if you are really convinced that we need youth recruitment then do something meaningful. Give up a few days of your hunt to actually take a kid out in the most productive time of the year and give them a real look at what hunting is. Never mind these phoney-boloney two and three day "events". Do something that really does have an effect.

• Like 1

Doc, I totally agree with taking kids out during regular seasons, all for that. In today modern life style that children live, the good old basics get tossed on the back burner. Tell me what harm it does with an early youth hunt? That may be just the extra liitle push some of these kids need to introduce them into hunting. We have to do something to raise awareness. Hunting is a dieing sport in this state. Something has to be done to keep it alive.

what do you need a special season for to introduce kids into hunting? Archery starts 10/1 so no need to even wait for a special season. Get them out there with you on 10/1 or better yet 9/1 for small game. Then don't be greedy and selfish and take them with you opening day of the regular season when chances at a good deer are even better than what Columbus Day weekend would be.

• Like 1

The early youth season isnt about greed on opening day, its about getting kids out a little earlier in the season, when theres a good chance the weather will be nicer and the deer arent on high alert from the mass of other hunters walking in and out of the woods. I take my daughter out with me during the season anytime she wants to go, opening day or the last day, doesnt matter to me. I still think the youth season is a good idea, and has been proven to be a successful program in quite a few other states.

Also, there are youth turkey hunting days in NY, I dont hear people pissing and moaning about those. I have heard nothing but successful things about it. Why is deer season so different? Oh, wait, I know....

An earlier start to the season would be just fine. Early youth archery would be great. Give the kids the mind set to think they may have that certain advantage.Why not give'm a weapon, they have better chance to fill a tag. Can't wait for my grand children to come out with me hunting, opening day or anytime.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

B.S. WNY, there is nothing wrong with the weather in mid November and no deer are on alert opening day. Hence, why opening day take is so high. Plus it's prime rut and the deer activity is at its peak.

Edited by Chevy

B.S. WNY, there is nothing wrong with the weather in mid November and no deer are on alert opening day. Hence, why opening day take is so high. Plus it's prime rut and the deer activity is at its peak.

Look, you just solved the majority of NY's problems.

Right, they are still relaxed for the first couple hours of the day, then they go on high alert. I see the difference in deer behavior between the last few days of bow and the opening few days of gun every year.

How many times have we had snow and cold on opening day of gun? Alot. How many times have we had that on Columbus Day weekend? Rarely if ever.

Also, patterning deer before the rut is alot easier than during the rut, as the bucks are running around helter skelter looking for does.

Heres the answer from DEC....

"Hello John, as of this date the crossbow extension bill, that if signed, would eliminate the proposed youth deer season set for Columbus Day weekend has not been delivered to the Governor's desk and has therefore not been signed into law. As of today the proposed youth hunt is still on, subject to change daily. If you have an interest, now would be the time to write the Governor with your opinion on whether to sign the bill or not. Lt. Tom Stoner"

...until the crossbow extension bill is signed, the youth hunt is still on. Ill be sending my letter to the Governor asking him to not sign the crossbow extension bill with the current wording that eliminates the youth season.

I've got to say that the most important item in hooking kids on hunting is to show them lots of action. And Opening day of gun season provides that action. It may or may not be the best time for that monster buck, but most places have some kind of deer parading by all day and plenty of pressure to keep them moving. Further, opening day is the time when kids get to hunt with friends and relatives to add the element of comraderie to the whole event. Also for those that worry about discomfort, opening day of gun season is generally free of bugs and oppressive heat and is a whole lot more representative of what hunting is really like. Yes, it's true that it takes a special dedicated individual to mentor some kid on your best and most important day of the season, but that is absolutely the best time to sell the sport. Not some trumped up poor imitation at the end of summer. Honestly, a little less reliance on tricks and useless window dressing style events and a little more actual honest effort, in season, providing worthwhile introductions and real mentoring of new recruits to hunting in the fashion that worked on us, and maybe we really could get kids truly interested in hunting.

So your willing to throw the guys that want to hunt with cross bow during gun season and muzzle loader under the bus for a 3 day for kids that will be able to hunt during regular gun any ways....This year guys that got DWI's years ago and were able to hunt blk powder... now will not be able to hunt at all... due to a new law prohibiting them from using blk powder...Now who's being selfish?...many are now older and never ever bow hunted in their lives....and will not have time to adjust last minute if Cross bows are not allowed in gun...

Now I say this because it's sorta of similar to past post of some ppl...not say you specifically....

Doc, I totally agree with taking kids out during regular seasons, all for that. In today modern life style that children live, the good old basics get tossed on the back burner. Tell me what harm it does with an early youth hunt? That may be just the extra liitle push some of these kids need to introduce them into hunting. We have to do something to raise awareness. Hunting is a dieing sport in this state. Something has to be done to keep it alive.

Here's the problem I have with all these gimmicky kinds of solutions. If recruitment were as simple as taking kids hunting, all the potential for that exists today during regular season. Creating a special time slot is a feel good action that makes all potential mentors feel like they have done something. But as long as hunters refuse to not take kids out now, there is nothing that I can see that will have them taking time to do it during some special season. In fact with special events, hunters are more likely to assume the problem is taken care of and assume that someone else will be out with the kids. Furthermore, I do not believe that late summer with the bugs and heat is the most attractive time to introduce anyone to hunting. I would rather they be introduced to the real activity of hunting along with friends and family and a time slot that includes the most fruitful days of hunting. There truly is the aspect of comraderie that can be added to the experience if that first introduction happens at a time when other hunters are taking part. That is a feature that most likely will not be a part of the introduction if a special and separate season is adopted.

I am always very skeptical when people start relying on gimmicky solutions. We all know what the problems of recruitment are, and until we start taking the time and effort to address them in a realistic and honest fashion, the recruitment problem will continue to dog us.

So your willing to throw the guys that want to hunt with cross bow during gun season and muzzle loader under the bus for a 3 day for kids that will be able to hunt during regular gun any ways....This year guys that got DWI's years ago and were able to hunt blk powder... now will not be able to hunt at all... due to a new law prohibiting them from using blk powder...Now who's being selfish?...many are now older and never ever bow hunted in their lives....and will not have time to adjust last minute if Cross bows are not allowed in gun...

Now I say this because it's sorta of similar to past post of some ppl...not say you specifically....

Not at all grow. The current legislation for crossbows does not expire until January 1 2013, so everyone can hunt with crossbows this year with no problem. They have plenty of time to remove the wording that nixes the youth season and get it signed before Dec 31st so that the crossbow legislation is good again next year.

I've got to say that the most important item in hooking kids on hunting is to show them lots of action.

Deer in feeding patterns do just that. Not saying they need to see monster bucks, just that deer in general are easier to pattern before the orange army shows up. Youve said it yourself, they seem to disappear shortly after the "invasion" begins.

The youth hunts have been proven to work, they arent gimmicks.

Deer in feeding patterns do just that. Not saying they need to see monster bucks, just that deer in general are easier to pattern before the orange army shows up. Youve said it yourself, they seem to disappear shortly after the "invasion" begins.

The youth hunts have been proven to work, they arent gimmicks.

If I had to pick one day when I was most likely to see the most deer, it would be opening day of gun season. It would not be some sweaty day with bugs buzzing around my face. In fact given past experience, I can almost guarantee that I will have at least one shooting opportunity sometime during opening day. If I had to pick the one time and place where I could enjoy the experience of comraderie and hunt-camp atmosphere, it would be opening weekend, not some obscure summer day when hunting is the last thing on anybody's mind. In other words, if I was trying to sell hunting to a newcomer, opening week-end would be my time of choice.

There is no statistic around that could prove the youth hunt added a new hunter. Please

" you cant make this shit up"

Really? All youd have to do is look at youth participation numbers before and after. Try again.

BTW, its pretty funny how you never even attempt to prove your point, you just keep throwing crap at the wall trying to make something stick.

If I had to pick one day when I was most likely to see the most deer, it would be opening day of gun season. It would not be some sweaty day with bugs buzzing around my face. In fact given past experience, I can almost guarantee that I will have at least one shooting opportunity sometime during opening day. If I had to pick the one time and place where I could enjoy the experience of comraderie and hunt-camp atmosphere, it would be opening weekend, not some obscure summer day when hunting is the last thing on anybody's mind. In other words, if I was trying to sell hunting to a newcomer, opening week-end would be my time of choice.

Come on Doc, summer day? Really? October is hardly summer. With Bow opening Oct 1, there will most likely be guys going to camp well before opening day of gun season. Sure, its not the same thing as opening weekend, but thats kind of the point.

I see deer constantly during bow season, moving calmly unless spooked. Alot of those deer are out of bow range, but well within gun range. Others are in bow range, but I pass them up for whatever reason.

If I was trying to get a kid more interested in hunting, early feeding patterns and warmer weather, when the kids are more likely to be able to sit out for extended periods of time without freezing their butts off, is the easiest time.

I have kids, one of which goes out with me quite a bit. Let me tell you, when the weather is cold and blowing, its really hard for her to sit out in it no matter how much she wants to.

I dont get it, some of you guys piss and moan about getting kids involved, and that recruitment is low, and every time the DEC proposes a new program to get them involved, you piss and moan about that. Which way do you want it?

I dont get it, some of you guys piss and moan about getting kids involved, and that recruitment is low, and every time the DEC proposes a new program to get them involved, you piss and moan about that. Which way do you want it?

Like moving opening day to saturday so the kids could hunt. That did nothing except anger alot of guys who likes it on monday.

Turns out the kids who want to hunt were already doing so with the monday opener. Lowering the age to hunt does help though.

• Like 1