EGGPLANT

Dom

How can i fry this without it soaking up all the oil from the pan?I got bored with the same old baking method and tryed to fry but was not that great becase it had soaked up all of the grease from pan.Could someone help please.

mmm love love eggplant. we didn't plant any this year

Sorry to here that if we lived closer I would give you some,AND AGAIN SORRY.Yes i like it very much myself and that is why i asked for different way's to fry.Eggplant use to be white and looked like an egg that is whereit got it's name they had to mix plant's to get the purple/black color they are so to cover the brown yuky color they would turn by the time they got to the market's.

Hey Dom

try salting the pieces for awhile then rinse and continue with breading and frying. read it somewhere online awhile back and seemd to work. or maybe slice thinner pieces so its not in the oil as long.

Dom, I grow a lot of egg plan and we cook alot of eggplant. The women seem to love the stuff!.

For grilling: I agree it soaks up oil like a sponge. My best advice is make a small bowl with olive or other oil. We add a bit of minced garlic and a little salt. We cut the eggplant into slices about 1/2-inch thick and dip into the oil/garlic/salt mixture and put on a platter. Cover the barbeque grate with heavy duty aluminum foil and toast until golden brown on both side.

For frying and making eggplant parmesan. Cut into slices 1/4 or 3/16 inches thick. Dip in a 50/50 mixture of milk and eggs. Coat with unseasoned bread crumbs. Put just enough oil in the fry pan to cover the bottom and heat to medium high. Lightly fry slices by frying them briefly on each side then browning after the small amount of oil is absorbed.

To make eggplant parmesan, make marinara sauce ( add some oil in the saucepan, and fry some minced garlic and add crushed or pureed tomatoes before the garlic gets too browned). Add some sweet basil or oregano and simmer 20-30 minutes. Get some good mozerella and grated parmesan. Add some sauce to the bottom of a baking dish. Place a layer of lightly fried eggpant. add plenty of sauce since your eggplant is just lightly fried so it will absorb more sauce. Cover the eggplant layer with mozerella and a sprinkling of parmesan. Repeat as neceassary. Bake for about an 50 minute covered with non-stick aluminum foil or use toothpicks to keep the cheeze away from the foil. Remove foil and bake another 1/2 hour until starting to brown up on top. Serve up hot with extra sauce if you have it. You'll be a hero!

Hope this help.

Dom, I grow a lot of egg plan and we cook alot of eggplant. The women seem to love the stuff!.

For grilling: I agree it soaks up oil like a sponge. My best advice is make a small bowl with olive or other oil. We add a bit of minced garlic and a little salt. We cut the eggplant into slices about 1/2-inch thick and dip into the oil/garlic/salt mixture and put on a platter. Cover the barbeque grate with heavy duty aluminum foil and toast until golden brown on both side.

For frying and making eggplant parmesan. Cut into slices 1/4 or 3/16 inches thick. Dip in a 50/50 mixture of milk and eggs. Coat with unseasoned bread crumbs. Put just enough oil in the fry pan to cover the bottom and heat to medium high. Lightly fry slices by frying them briefly on each side then browning after the small amount of oil is absorbed.

To make eggplant parmesan, make marinara sauce ( add some oil in the saucepan, and fry some minced garlic and add crushed or pureed tomatoes before the garlic gets too browned). Add some sweet basil or oregano and simmer 20-30 minutes. Get some good mozerella and grated parmesan. Add some sauce to the bottom of a baking dish. Place a layer of lightly fried eggpant. add plenty of sauce since your eggplant is just lightly fried so it will absorb more sauce. Cover the eggplant layer with mozerella and a sprinkling of parmesan. Repeat as neceassary. Bake for about an 50 minute covered with non-stick aluminum foil or use toothpicks to keep the cheeze away from the foil. Remove foil and bake another 1/2 hour until starting to brown up on top. Serve up hot with extra sauce if you have it. You'll be a hero!

Hope this help.

That may also be my prob I normaly use lard/crisco for all frying may be to much oil.If I soak in milk then the eggplant wont be so dry to start.This was my first try will try again with these suggestion's.

By their very nature, eggplant WILL soak of oil when you fry them. The trick I've always found was to just use enough oil to keep them from sticking to the pan, after the flour-eggwash-breadcrumb procedure. Granted, it won't give you the complete deep-fried taste, but it will keep them from soaking up oil. I've never tried the batter method as mentioned above, that might be a solution.

Growing up Italian I watched my mother and Grandmothers making it for years. I did'nt pay a whole lot of attention but I remember they would cut it into round slices then put a little salt on them. Let it sit for a while. This would draw out alot of the water from the eggplant. Then they would stack the slices, put a cutting board onto of them and put some weight ontop of the board. This would push alot of the water out of the plant. I remember one time watching my grandmother do this and she said "no wet - no oil" Anyway it always came out great, not oily . I dont know......

Growing up Italian I watched my mother and Grandmothers making it for years. I did'nt pay a whole lot of attention but I remember they would cut it into round slices then put a little salt on them. Let it sit for a while. This would draw out alot of the water from the eggplant. Then they would stack the slices, put a cutting board onto of them and put some weight ontop of the board. This would push alot of the water out of the plant. I remember one time watching my grandmother do this and she said "no wet - no oil" Anyway it always came out great, not oily . I dont know......

Just as ants said,next mix eggs and a small amount of milk,dip slices im milk/egg mixture both sides,now dip in bread crumbs,a good heated frying pan with heated olive oil,just enough so the egg plant does not stick to the pan,brown both sides.Yummy.Next I put in the toaster oven the browned egg plant add some tomato sauce and parm. cheese or parm. cheese a slice of tomato and a slice of onion Yummy.Heat until the cheese just melts.