Public Land in the Capital District

Caveman

Does anyone know of any public land to hunt with a rifle within an hour of Albany? I just moved here and I have no idea where I can hunt in gun season.  I've got bow season planned for Pine Bush but nothing lined up past that.  Any help is much appreciated. 

Yeah I've been trying to decipher the DEC website for a few years now.  I was lucky enough back in Buffalo to have family with land to hunt on.  To make things better that family member was my cousin who is the Region 9 zone supervisor for the NYS Forest Rangers.  I think I'm just going to call a Region 4 Forest Ranger and get it straight from the horse's mouth. 

Whereabouts near Saratoga are you anyway? My roommate this past year at UA was from Ballston Spa, not too far away if my geography is correct. 

Yes the DEC site is a bit of a pain but only because there is so much info crammed in there. I live in the Northern zone near Schylerville in the town of Northumberland, its all farm country out here.There is a decent area near me called the Wilton Preserve, its a mixture of town, county and state lands. Google the Wilton Preserve and you will find maps of where you can hunt in the northern zone. I grew up in BallstonSpa and currently work the other way down Western ave about 15 minutes from UA. There is some good hunting in the Albany Pine bush but again it can be crowded at times. Its one of those areas that you look up in any direction and see a tree stand in some spots. There are a good amount of deer too. I hunt behind my work once in a while and allways see deer, and a good amount of bucks.

Yeah, I've heard that about Pine Bush.  I work in the lodge at Dick's sporting goods in Latham so I get to talk to a lot of Capital District outdoorsmen (dream job for a sportsman by the way).  Anyway everyone I talk to seems to tell me there's a ton of deer in Pine Bush, and big ones too.  They also tell me there's a real tick problem and that it's crowded.  The one guy I work with told me to beat that just hike in aways.  Everyone sets up shop within a quarter mile of the road. 

I really need to give Pine Bush a try though.  I live right there in Colonie and I could probably be in my stand within 10 minutes of leaving the house.

plenty state property in dutchesscounty only good for bow or shotguns cannot hunt deer here with rifles dosent make sense some propertys in ulster and sullivan are just as populated as dutchess but shotgun only for deer here some regulations are not right ..

• 4 weeks later...

I work at UA, too many ticks in the pine bush for me though, I can't concentrate on watch if I'm constantly picking ticks off me.  Not a big fan of state woods either, nothing like getting in the woods before light and setting up just to have another hunter come in and set up 50 yards from you 1/2 hour AFTER light.  I've only lived here 7 years now and through meeting new people and asking permission, have more places to hunt than I have time to hit each season.  Being close to the northern/southern tier border is a plus too, twice the opening weekends.

• 1 month later...

Just east of RT7 past the Tomhannock Reservoir going toward Vermont on Tamarac Rd is Pittstown State forest and a few miles further up RT7 is Tibbetts state forest. Also if you like northern zone, about 45 minutes north of Albany in Saratoga county is the Lake Desolation area. Lots of state land up there on Lake Desolation rd in the town of Greenfield. I used to have a lease up there until Finch Pruyn sold all their land to the Nature Conservancy. Now its all open to the public.

Howdy!  I hear partridge run is decent, never hunted there myself.  It's more down in the valley outside of Renslearville.  Our land is on the west side of the Renslearville State Forest, so I can personally attest to that whole forest being more or less deserted after the opening weekend.  Theres usually one camp of guys parked at the end of the CCC road, but maybe 1 or 2 after opening weekend, and last year they didn't even camp.  Not really good rifle territory though, those woods are dense, more shotgun than anything. 

Has anybody been to Capital District WMA east of Troy?  I was thinking about going to check it out this weekend.

I've never been there but I was talking to another guy on here and he was saying it's really tough terrain.  I'm thinking it might be worth checking it out though, what do ya got to lose? If you do wind up going let me know what you think.

Has anybody been to Capital District WMA east of Troy?  I was thinking about going to check it out this weekend.

I've never been there but I was talking to another guy on here and he was saying it's really tough terrain.  I'm thinking it might be worth checking it out though, what do ya got to lose? If you do wind up going let me know what you think.

Bah, I'm young, rough terrain don't bother me none.  Hopefully, rough terrain means less people!

I didn't look at it that way.  You make a good point.

Bah, I'm young, rough terrain don't bother me none.  Hopefully, rough terrain means less people!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally went to Capital District WMA yesterday to teach the girlfriend how to shoot.  It was tough terrain, steep in many places, rocky and uneven, and overgrown thick brush as far as the eye can see.  Make sure you're wearing high boots with good ankle support though since more than a few times what I thought was solid ground turned out to be a leaf covered crevice between two rocks.  Not to mention I got turned around and lost in the woods...never happened to me before but it sure is nerve wracking to turn around to head back and not remember which way is back lol.  I guess it serves me right for going into an unfamiliar area with no map or compass.