Early Goose?

Lawdwaz

Who is going?

Birds/fields/permisssion all locked down?

Dekes preped and ready?

Dog in tip top shape?

Thermos cleaned?

Bug spray still potent?

Gun plugged?

Duck stamp & HIP number all in place?

vaccinations up to date? (YOU, not the dog)

I used to do quite a bit of it but got tired of all the running around trying to secure permission and chase down the birds in different fields all the time. Then, it seems like all the good hunts were next to or too close to houses and even though it might have been 500' plus, I didn't feel comfortable banging so close to kids, dogs and tree huggers.

If I got a call next week to accompany someone on a hunt, I'd load up all the appropriate gear and do my part to help all the golfers and local soccer players.

How do you like your coffee and what is your favorite donut? <grin>

I love the THUMP of a honker hitting the ground after you fold him about 30 yards up..!!...

As Lawdwaz says, it takes some homework to set up a hunt, but it's great lying in a diversion ditch while about 50 big fat honking geese have their wings set trying to land on your face...

Every hunter should experience that a time or two or three...

Whacker... Since you have never shot them, I'll give you a suggestion for goose loads..

Kent Faststeel BB...In my 3" 12 gauge 11-87 and Citori, they kill geese nearly as well as the lead loads I used to use.. I can't say that about other steel loads I have used.

I use an IC choke in my 11-87 and IC/Mod in the OU.. I have NOT had good results with tight chokes and steel shot..

I think Im gonna take my son this year. He hasn't got his license yet but I got a spot where he'll see lot of action. It's a big cut hay lot with a ditch running up the middle. open swamp on one side and a golf course with tons of ponds on it, on the other. the land owner and I use to do real well there.

Pygmy...you got that load/choke combo right!! IMHO

My dog came back from Peak performance where she was force fetched couple months ago, When the weather is hot i havent worked her. But now that its cooling down we are at it everyday, Ive never really hunted waterfowl but with the blood lines my lab has. I couldnt not hunt over her it would be an insult to her heritage. So i started gathering waterfowl gear, My brother is huge into waterfowl and him and his buddies are gonna show me the ropes. My first season with my best friend and family i cant wait. good luck to all those who venture out,

post-2347-0-05257200-1346279455_thumb.jp

Almost ready getting my stamp tomorrow, remember you need to have last years license. Should be a productive early season as many of the corn fields have already been chopped. I start looking for waterfowl hunting ammo on sale right around now, I also shoot 3 in. Kent in BB with a pure gold modified choke. If any one notices any decent sales for a case of shells I would appreciate the heads up.

Back when we could use lead for ducks and geese, I was never impressed with HV loads...Heavy SHOT loads made the difference, even if the MV was a couple hundred FPS lower than the fast loads.

Medium to low velocity loads also tended to produce better patterns with lead shot then the HV loads...

I killed LOTS of ducks with a handload of 1 1/4 oz. of lead shot shot at a MV of aound 1200 FPS..

Then steel shot became mandatory..The early steel loads were pathetic. You would bust a duck and he would either lose feathers and keep flying, or he would hit the water swimming and you were lucky to recover him.

I tried the HV steel shot about ten or twelve years ago...With steel, unlike lead, the higher velocity REALLY makes a difference.

HV steel loads, like the Kent Fasteel ( and others) really does kill waterfowl at reasonable ranges, say up to 40 yards or so.. Perhaps a little farther if you are holding your mouth right..

If you want to spend several bucks per round, you can get non toxic shot that performs as well as lead, but for a reasonable price it is hard to beat high velocity steel such as Kent Fasteel.

Doe if you have the time and money buy a couple boxes of shells and test them through the gun you plan on using. Its amazing how much difference you can get from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I shoot a Moss 835 and it throws one hell of a pattern with a kicks mod choke.

Pick one out and hold on the beak and you should be good to go.

If you guys have not seen this site they have pretty good prices on waterfowl ammo.

Rogers

• 3 weeks later...