How to grow hunter numbers in New York?

defrazzle

Hunter numbers seem to be declining every year and the reasons could be many. What can be done to help those who do not get initiated into the hunting fraternity by family or friends? I am sure that there are many who would at least LEARN about hunting and then some of those would actually begin to become hunters and keep the tradition alive.

Here's an idea!

Dicks SG's, Gander and Cabela's all sell equipment to hunters. They have a vested interest in ensuring that their customer base keeps growing and evolving. And my local Gander store already hosts hunter education workshops/classes. What better way to partner with one or all of these outlets to start a mentoring program? They already have the facilities and equipment what remains is the mentors capability and willingness to teach. The store can do the marketing and maintain a list of mentors. The pairing can be done by being at the hunter education class and a sign up list can be posted at all the sales counters. The store could offer a limited time 10-20% mentor program discount to participants and the mentor. This could be a self sustaining program if managed and promoted properly.

I plan to meet with our local store managers to see what they think. I think it will work! It will be a three way win - a win for the store - a win for the participant and a win for the mentor.

Can a list of mentors be maintained on this site? It should include, name, location to mentor in and contact information.

What do you all think?

• Like 2

NY hunter numbers have been on the decline for 40 years and no one really knows who or what to blame even though there is alot of blame going around. I hear all too often people who say ooohh yea my old man used to hunt with my uncles etc, so that to me shows that we have a whole generation of lost hunters already, which is bad because thats a whole generation that doesnt even know where to start.

Just seems frustrating to me when anyone comes up with "any" idea to get young folks into hunting there are groups of people who immediately sound off about why that idea wont work, or say that would be a waste of time, or hundreds of other reasons why its a bad idea. So it looks like we are really screwed with our backs against a wall here.

there is a lot of liability in doing so in this day and age. Everyone should be background checked as well as finger printed in my opinion. I would not send my children into the woods alone with a stranger. Granted 99 percent of those participating would be legit, but the 1 percent will ruin it. I can not see any vendor wanting to take on that liability by collecting data. And those who would be legit will not want to go through these steps to help someone else become a hunter.

lower the hunting age to get kids involved and hooked before all else takes over

lower hunting license cost so ppl can afford to buy them for their family

open up more areas for people to be able to hunt.

I think your idea is great, but I can not see it getting off the ground

Overcoming a defeatist attitude is what makes it ever so much more worthwhile. While I agree with Bubba that the liability factor plays a role in our lives more and more as our species matures it should not stop anyone from "doing the right thing". I tend to be a optimist and find all sorts of ways to complete a goal and there must be others like me otherwise we would have never won our independence from Britain or gotten to the moon.

...lower the hunting age to get kids involved and hooked before all else takes over - I like this

lower hunting license cost so ppl can afford to buy them for their family - I don't think paying .27cents per day for a super sportsman is too much. But I understand the cost factor in the overall scheme of things. Rather than increasing the cost of the hunting license every so often, other users of the public lands need to pay their fair share. Hikers, boaters, Cache hunters, Birders, and others seem to be getting a free ride.

open up more areas for people to be able to hunt. - there is much NY public land that is open to hunting. Unfortunately those areas are a days drive for most. I live inside the Adirondack Park - so I hunt in my back yard.

I think your idea is great, but I can not see it getting off the ground

Perseverance :yahoo:

I am seriously wondering what fish & game clubs, gun clubs, archery clubs and other such organizations that so many hunters belong to are doing to promote the sport. Back when I was a member of a bowhunter's club. we had several events and activities each year devoted toward promoting youth participation, and also conducted some mentored hunts. Today, I don't hear a peep from any of these kinds of outfits. Somebody is dropping the ball. I remember in years past, there would be local bow clubs with booths set up at Avon's National Hunting and Fishing days where members had kids bows and targets set up, and promotional slide shows, etc., etc. that were all geared toward enticing youngsters and adults into getting into bow hunting. I haven't seen any such displays there for years now. We have some huge sportsman's clubs that could have a huge impact on hunting and shooting sports promotions. They just don't seem to be interested in any kind of public activities and promotions. We have a rather hidden presence of DEC people even at events that are held on their own property. They could be having a whole lot more visibility if they had any interest in doing so. Any DEC representation in schools? Why not? Anyone in the DEC concerned about hunter decline? any events or activities or programs being worked on to boost hunter participation, enthusiasm, or knowledge? ..... I don't think so. And yet the NYS hunter is by far the most valuable management tool in the DEC's tool-kit.

These are all people that should be knee-deep in hunting promotion and yet there seems to be less and less interest in doing so. These are people that could have real impact, and who could be working on real solutions. However, they don't seem to be willing to do anything that will actually have some effect, so where do you go from there when the people who should care, don't?

• Like 1

"Anyone in the DEC concerned about hunter decline?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you opposed to the DEC's recoginizing the hunter decline & proposing the October youth hunt?????

Defrazzle has a legitimate concern and has some interesting ideas. Pointing fingers isn't going to resolve this issue.

As NY hunters aren't we ultimately responsible for passing on this heritage and preserving the wildlife resources for future generations?

You can also look at whats hurting hunting and try to change that.

I feel deer #'s in certain areas need to be built up. Its hard to get a teenager interested when you sit in the woods for a weekend and your see nothing!

Hunting attitudes! Why did you shoot such a small buck! are you kidding me. That hunter is doing more harm then he knows.

Hunting shows on tv.

Hey run with it, Let me know if I can help and I will. My point about a license fee drop is simply this, Yes it is cheap per day, but if you have to shell out 4 or 5 hundred for everyones license in a family, that runs into money. Want more numbers and you want volunteers, push more people including yourself to become hunter ed instructors. There are always more people wanting to get in a class than there are people to teach. I just became a bow instructor as well as gun and my team does 4 or 5 classes a year which certifies anywhere between 100 and 150 people a year. I still have ppl calling to get in and asking for more classes. If there were more instructors teaching, more ppl would join the ranks as this has to be the first step to hunt.

"Anyone in the DEC concerned about hunter decline?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you opposed to the DEC's recoginizing the hunter decline & proposing the October youth hunt?????

Defrazzle has a legitimate concern and has some interesting ideas. Pointing fingers isn't going to resolve this issue.

As NY hunters aren't we ultimately responsible for passing on this heritage and preserving the wildlife resources for future generations?

I am simply pointing out some real options that can have some real impact. I am not pointing fingers, nor am I absolving anyone of a chance to join into the promotion of the sport. I am pointing out potential resources that at one time used to be effective, and don't seem to be all that involved anymore. We have great resources that need to somehow get re-inspired .... or we can just simply throw in the towel. Now, if that is looked at as pointing fingers, that is too bad. It is a realistic way of looking at the problem that suggests resources that no one seems to be willing to talk about.

Just think.....if every licensed hunter took ONE non-hunter and turned him/her into a hunter we would double the numbers!

No question about it. If that were to happen, there would be a huge increase in hunters. Of course the problem is turning that non-hunter into a hunter. I think we have to become some super-salesmen because there are all kinds of social evolution that is fighting against us. But not to be a wet-blanket on your enthusiasm, I have to agree that we have to try if hunting is going to exist off into the future. Right now it doesn't look all that good, and I think that innovative thinking such as yours is what's required to make any kind of a difference at all.

I'm not so sure about lowering the cost for licenses is going to be that big of a factor. In the initial startup cost (gear, weapon, and license) the license itself is the cheapest item. Besides, isn't the idea also to increase revenue for conservation?

Becoming a hunting instructor is nice and dandy but getting people to the class room is the first step. We're actually fortunate because nothing has done more for the sport than the "Hunger Games" books/movie and Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma". People are interested in hunting now as a alternate, healthier, and more environmentally ethical food source but they need the push. Aside from initial startup cost, they also have a fear of guns and the woods. They simply need someone to take them there so they can see first hand that it isn't as scary as they think it is.

I took a friend of mine hunting twice last year. He took the hunter's ed course last month and took the bow hunters course last weekend. Let's see how far he takes it but that's one potential hunter added to the ranks. I actively pushed him into it. He never came up to me and begged me to take him. No. It was I who actively bugged him into going with me. Like defrazzle said. If each one of us did this to someone, we would have doubled in number.

OK - time to put words into action:

Dicks SG's, Gander and Cabela's all sell equipment to hunters. They have a vested interest in ensuring that their customer base keeps growing and evolving. And my local Gander store already hosts hunter education workshops/classes. What better way to partner with one or all of these outlets to start a mentoring program? They already have the facilities and equipment what remains is the mentors capability and willingness to teach. The store can do the marketing and maintain a list of mentors. The pairing can be done by being at the hunter education class and a sign up list can be posted at all the sales counters. The store could offer a limited time 10-20% mentor program discount to participants and the mentor. This could be a self sustaining program if managed and promoted properly.

I plan to meet with our local store managers to see what they think. I think it will work! It will be a three way win - a win for the store - a win for the participant and a win for the mentor.

Here is the homework for all that have made some comments on this topic:

GO TO YOUR NEAREST GANDER/CABELLAS/DICKS and talk to the STORE MANAGER....see what he/she says about the above idea. Report back here next Sunday. Together we can have change. :fan:

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." a quote taken from Bubba.

BTW, it is interesting to read that one should sign up to be a hunter education instructor. I have thought about this many times for myself....BUT yet no one has ever asked me personally or provided the mentoring to do so. Sounds familiar doesn't it. This does not mean I do not want to to be a instructor, it just means that the "gene" to be one had not been elevated to a level where "I drank the proverbial water from the trough, without being led to it". My hunting genes are well and alive. :bye:

So Bubba, seriously, where do I start to become a HE instructor? You can be my mentor if you like.

my nearest gander and dicks is almost 2 hours away. I do my part by having classes to get people to the point where they can purchase a license. Maybe you might want to look into some of the the other ideas too.

I understand and I applaud you for your HE volunteering.

you do not need an invitation to become an instructor. Go to the dec website go to become an instructor print the app fill it out mail it in. It is that simple. Your regional coordinator will set you up with other instructors in your area to mentor with. BTW I have mentored and assisted probably 8 to 10 people to become instructors. I am not sure where you are, but you are welcome to come here and learn the ways and I will mentor you also. I work 6 days a week and do not have time to travel at least an hour and half one way to ask stores about a mentor program. I do more than most will ever do. Fill out the app go to your store and see what you find out and report back. You had the ideas then wanted to delegate it to others. Now lets see how much effort you put forward. I also have not seen anyone else respond they will head to the store today or tomorrow either. be a leader not a delegator

you do not need an invitation to become an instructor. Go to the dec website go to become an instructor print the app fill it out mail it in. It is that simple. Your regional coordinator will set you up with other instructors in your area to mentor with. BTW I have mentored and assisted probably 8 to 10 people to become instructors. I am not sure where you are, but you are welcome to come here and learn the ways and I will mentor you also. I work 6 days a week and do not have time to travel at least an hour and half one way to ask stores about a mentor program. I do more than most will ever do. Fill out the app go to your store and see what you find out and report back. You had the ideas then wanted to delegate it to others. Now lets see how much effort you put forward. I also have not seen anyone else respond they will head to the store today or tomorrow either. be a leader not a delegator

OK - thanks for pointing me in the right direction - i.e.DEC website. I will download the application, fill it out and mail it in. In regard to "...be a leader not a delegater....." your absolutely correct. Of course once you become a leader, delegation is part of that job.

Just filled out the application, need to call my two references and ask them if I can use them on the application. My application should be in the mail this afternoon.

As far as the store is concerned, I will post my finding here in a few days. I will make an appointment with the store manager and go from there.

I think that the diminishing availablity to hunting land is one of the reasons for hunter decline... I can think of numerous places I hunted as a kid that are either a neighborhood now or has been bought up and posted by new owners... I also know many EX hunters that lost their favorite hunting spot and just never took the time to find a new spot... many farmers that years ago let hunters use their property for deer hunting have stopped or limited hunting because of past abuse or overuse of their property. Not sure what the answer is, but I bet lots of those ex-hunters would probably start again if they had a solid hunting spot to hunt. When I was offered the opportunity to lease property I immediately determined how many fellas could hunt comfortably on the acreage available and called that many friends that I knew didn't have solid hunting spots and gave them the opportunity have a place that they could count on to hunt... it definitely rekindled the fire under many of their butts to get out and enjoy hunting again.

• Like 1

I'd say stop buying the kids X-box games and take them out hunting or shooting.

Instead of sitting in front of a TV set all day try and get them to go out and scout around get them in the woods.

If we don't have the youth in it we are all beat and im still young and I can barley get anyone my age to hunt with. It's a sad time and we need to do whats possible to ensure are hunting future.

Bill.

Just filled out the application, need to call my two references and ask them if I can use them on the application. My application should be in the mail this afternoon.

As far as the store is concerned, I will post my finding here in a few days. I will make an appointment with the store manager and go from there.

Well, the DEC HE application is attached to my mailbox waiting for the mail carrier to pick it up. 50% of my immediate goal accomplished. Now to contact the outdoor stores and ask for a meeting. Stay tuned....... :bye: