How to grow hunter numbers in New York?

defrazzle

I think having more public land in all areas of new York is key. Most people can't afford to take the day off and drive hours just to start their kid off squirrel hunting

I think you have a good point. In today's world much has to do with money. Years ago most of those that hunted lived on the land or very near land that could be hunted. Today, you either have money and can take time off to travel or you still live near or on the land you can hunt. Living in a metropolitan area where you have to travel 4-5 hours to hunt, is tough, especially if making money to support your family is the priority.

• Like 1

I think you have a good point. In today's world much has to do with money. Years ago most of those that hunted lived on the land or very near land that could be hunted. Today, you either have money and can take time off to travel or you still live near or on the land you can hunt. Living in a metropolitan area where you have to travel 4-5 hours to hunt, is tough, especially if making money to support your family is the priority.

Lots of that is probably true... although I would say that most hunters today make way more money proportional to their parents back in the day who somehow still found the time and money to hunt... I think the money has more to do with hunters believing they have to "Cabela" up to enjoy hunting... my dad wore Kmart packboots, cotton long underwear, jeans, and a wool jacket... and carried a Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge that he bought at a garage sale for $25... he enjoyed hunting just as much as the "Cabela Catalog Models" you see hunting today...It's more of a different mind set today. The reality is.. if you REALLY want to hunt.. you'll find an inexpensive way to get out and do it... if thats what you have to do.

• Like 1

Lots of that is probably true... although I would say that most hunters today make way more money proportional to their parents back in the day who somehow still found the time and money to hunt... The reality is.. if you REALLY want to hunt.. you'll find an inexpensive way to get out and do it... if thats what you have to do.

Yes, I understand what you say. The bottom line seems to be that if one wants to hunt....they will find a way. The problem is that those who know nothing about hunting won't even find their way. So, there really needs to be some sort of vehicle or bridge that give those uninitiated a path to follow. I will try and make a difference......

I know something that will get the young back into hunting and that is the need for meat. Maybe instead of trying to get a dead horse to stand again we should just let economics and our poor financial outlook for the future of our young take its course, you might see the need for food make hunting a popular pastime again, kinda how alot of our fathers found such an interest in the sport in the first place.

• Like 1

But most that hunted for food, did so with a dog and hunted rabbits...they sure still taste good in the stew pot. That what got me into hunting with my Dad and his friends...in the late 50's there was not a lot of deer in NY. My Dad and his 4 buddies wouod go to deer camp for a week and if that got a deer it was a great day. I use to go to help open up the camp and hunt the weekend for rabbits and then on Sunday afternoon would have to take a bus from Liberty Ny to Paramus NJ....I could not wait till I was old enough to be there for thge week with them. Esch had his own special stump or rock....lots of places had names from past yearw were a buck was taken. It was a general surprise when they opened up doe season with only 3 people had to be on a tag to get one...My first hunting season for deer was 1963, and I was one of the lucky ones, had my first rifle a 303 british enfield from WWII, with flip up iron sight to shoot up to 1000 yards, or leave it down for up to 150 yards...it was almost 5 pm, after sitting all day and a deer came out of the swamp and I could see horn, lots of horns, I put the 303 right agaist a big maple tree and just like Uncle Sam showed me to squeeze that trigger. The gun when off and the deer started running, and then I heard the deer crash down. MY Dad was down the ridge from me and he came running as well as two of the other guys. The showed me how to gut the deer and all draped it back to the farm. That was a lot of years ago and many deer, but still was the best day for me in the woods ( ever )

It has to be family and friends to get the hunting numbers up...so this year take a kid hunting, maybe only after rabbits or other small game, or take him or her while you scout for deer or make a ground blind... Over the years with the bow shop I have gotten over 60+ new hunter into our sport of hunting. It never was a problem for me to take a few hours off and take a kid with me either hunting or fishing.

Unless you already have all the equipment necessary to hunt, it's not economical to invest in it to save $$ on meat. Bet we all started out with used, hand-me-down and minimal equipment or clothing. We can discuss the limited availability of hunting land until we're blue in the face & never be able to resolve it. Basically, it's out of our control and merely a NYS budgetary issue.

What Defrazzle is attempting to do is see those small embers of interest or curiosity in hunting and match them up with some experience or a mentor. Like I mentioned, that matching is where the black hole exists and we need innovative thinking & ideas to be able to bridge it. It's got to be hunting family members, friends and us hunters that get others involved, whether it be youths, middle-aged individuals or returning hunters. IMHO - NO single organization or agency can effect this like we as hunters can!!

Tried to look-up my local Gun Club, Williamson Conservation & Sporting Club. Thought that would be a start to get something rolling, not so much. Not sure what the conservation part is about, but it is mainly a sport shooting organization with a gun range. Yeah, they offer hunter safety courses, but mainly cater to the working, middle class trap & skeet shooters. I think this is a trend for most Rod & Gun clubs in order to justify ($$) their existence. Probably parallels the decrease in the numbers of hunters....

I did a basic search on Google for this topic's key words. One interesting link showed up;

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/344-Hunting-Mentors-amp-New-Hunters.-Need-A-Buddy-Hook-Up-Here

a forum that had it's own category where mentors & beginners listed their availability &/or interests. Also had a "hunting buddys" hook-up. It's a start, so why don't the moderators or Burmjohn create a topic category similar to this?

im old enough to remember when putting a deer in the freezer was a real bonus because it actually covered your rifle, bullets, and new boot expenses for the season, and meant you were buying less beef that winter. Also remember guys hunting to the last day of the season in a panic if they didnt fill their freezer yet. And if one or 2 guys in the camp didnt nail one we all kinda chipped in by giving that person some meat. Maybe hunting was never a sport after all? Or maybe it was just born out of necessity and over the years became a pastime/sport done for a challenge, and young folks have found other ways to challenge themselves in ways we find stupid?

my club the black lake fish and game club and the st lawrence county sportsmans federation does many things

on 9/29 we are sponsoring a youth pheasant hunt. Birds supplied by the state local gun dig club provides dogs and handlers and the club supplies ammo and lunch. We have anywhere from 60 to 80 kids every year.

We also sponsored a wounded warrior hunt and a ladies hunt with the same people and events.

we are targeting the ones who can build up numbers. But they have to have a license first to attend the shoots, so they have to have an interest before they attend, not a lets go see what this is about.

If you can not get kids interested and through a class, none can attend. Part of the problem is the fast paced society. I know of one kid who has been trying for 2 years to get in a class. it is either football, drama club or some family function that keeps him out. I have spoken directly with his mother several times and even said give me a schedule that works for 2 weekends in a row. She has not been able to.

Didn't mean to offend any clubs that do promote the youths!

Was just noticing a trend in many clubs to revert to ranges & shooting sports.

Bubba, bravo to your club(s)!!!!!

Also, as you mentioned - We are the dinasours and fighting a changing world.

If we don't do something..... Don't know about anyone else, but I prefer not to be an exhibit in the Smithsonian!

I agree totally. The other big barrier we have is out state govt. The majority and I know I will get hell from this one, form the city area who represent us work hard against hunting. Look up records of senators and legislators and see how they vote against everything to do with hunting and see how they vote. It is tough in such a majority liberal state to get keep things going. We are still waiting on crossbows changes in Albany as well as a youth hunt. Everything is a political game.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

New Hampshire started an apprentice hunting license this year

The Apprentice License holder is allowed to hunt only when accompanied by a properly licensed person who is 18 years of age or older. "Accompanied" means maintaining actual physical direction and control -- keeping the apprentice within sight and hearing at all times (without use of electronic devices). gives a person a chance to see if they like hunting before having to go take a hunter safety class first they can only buy this once & all rules apply it is like taking a youth with you

Here in NH we have the opposite I know bowhunter#'s are increasing every year not so much firearms

only good thing here in NH is if the land is not posted you can legally hunt it unless you are told by the owner NO

I agree totally. The other big barrier we have is out state govt. The majority and I know I will get hell from this one, form the city area who represent us work hard against hunting. Look up records of senators and legislators and see how they vote against everything to do with hunting and see how they vote. It is tough in such a majority liberal state to get keep things going. We are still waiting on crossbows changes in Albany as well as a youth hunt. Everything is a political game.

Converting more liberals with embers into huntings will make this state less liberal and just maybe we'll see less decisions against hunting being voted in.

Doc said "I am seriously wondering what fish & game clubs, gun clubs, archery clubs and other such organizations that so many hunters belong to are doing to promote the sport. Back when I was a member of a bowhunter's club. we had several events and activities each year devoted toward promoting youth participation, and also conducted some mentored hunts. Today, I don't hear a peep from any of these kinds of outfits."

I know hunter numbers are declining but I do see these kind of activities in my area still. Matter of fact I am trying to get into participating in the youth Pheasant hunt weekend coming up but there are people that go every year with their dogs to help the kids get started and there may not be room for me. The two clubs I go to have plenty of youth oriented stuff going on, and there is plenty of stuff in other clubs I am a memeber of too. Sometimes I think we get all wrapped up in the numbers leaving the sport and forget that there are still lots of avenues in place to help out, and have fun doing so.

I know I've got my son hooked, I intend to teach him as much as possible, and offer him every opportunity to gain interest. I'm starting on my girlfriend's little girls now. The older one (6) already goes out after squirrel with her Grandfather and I. The younger one (4) says she wants to go with us next time, she always tell me - "Ya gotta neek up on 'em"

I could definitely do more though.

Does anyone remember the DEC "Apprentice Hunter" program? It matched veteran hunters with interested youth who lacked the opportunity, or who had no one to teach them. I participated in it when I was a jr hunter, and had some great times. No one in my family hunted when I grew up. Gramps was too old, but still went to camp all the time, and he often took me. I think that's what sparked me, and the DEC program really helped me along.

Edited by Skillet

Ok I have to say i did not read all of this .

Promote it where and when you can, have non hunting friends over for a venison cook out, bring some deer jerky,slim sticks ect to work.Have photos of your deer at the work place let people know you hunt ! Answer their questions .

Everyone wants to be "green" and buy local food, well Hunters should be all over this ! Its an open door lets walk on in.This is one way the DEC should promote it," want to be GREEN ? wear ORANGE !!

I have a friend who started hunting because of the deer he saw hanging from trees while doing his paper route ! He's VP of his state bow assc. and works pro bono fighting the antis in his western state. All because we hung our deer with pride back then ...

Take someone hunting ! I took a friends son years ago he still hunts !

Ok I'll take some flack over this,but thats ok.Shorten the hunter ed/safety class.Put most of it online and have one night/day of hands on. Focus on SAFETY in the class.The class part on line would be consistent as everyone gets the same info not a night of 'me and Joe" stories some get

I know kids who wanted to but never took the class because 3 free nights in a row don't exist for many kids today. In fact that was the hardest thing about the class for mine, with sports,clubs and a heavy school load being free from 5;30 to 10:30 3 nights in row was a challange.

crap i gotta put a stand togather, see what this place does to a guy

Well, the DEC HE application is attached to my mailbox waiting for the mail carrier to pick it up. 50% of my immediate goal accomplished. Now to contact the outdoor stores and ask for a meeting. Stay tuned....... :bye:

Made an appointment to meet with the local Gander Mountain manager for this evening at 1830 hrs. I will see what kind of reaction I get from him. I'll post it here soon after.

In regard to mentoring, I came up with another idea that could work. - JUST ASK - . Meaning, just ask a co-worker, friend, someone you just met, etc. if they ever hunted or hunt now. What ever the answer is can be an open door for you to ask a series of follow up questions. For example: The first answer = No. Well a follow up statement/question could be, "Well I am doing an informal survey and may I ask you why not?" You will be surprised on what kind of answers you will get. If the answer is Yes, the the follow up statement/question could be "That's great! Well, I am doing an informal survey and may I ask you if you believe that the number of hunters in New York State is dwindling and what could be done about it?" The conversation should continue.

I tried this method yesterday on a health insurance adviser who I am working with. After about 10 minutes he asked me to keep him in mind as he could be a potential for a Hunter Mentor Program.

I think having more public land in all areas of new York is key. Most people can't afford to take the day off and drive hours just to start their kid off squirrel hunting

Yet they find time to go from soccer to football to basketball to wrestling to baseball..... From grade school until high school graduation.... BTW: many 50 year olds who hunted in high school still hunt. How many who played football still do?