Not sure what this is? Deer Scrape?

Landowner

I have found early scrapes at this time of year. Last year there was one that was complete with a licking branch over head. It's not a super common thing to find this early, but it does occasionally happen. What does it mean? ........ I'm not sure. I don't know whether it is a buck that is a bit ahead of his time or what, but it just shows how little we really know about rut behavior, or scrape behavior.

Doc

I have never seen a scrape that was about 3" deep. This about 30 yards from the road, so salt would'nt be their.

If someone put it there it could be. One trick is burying salt pellets that you buy for a water conditioning system. Once the rain starts getting the salt into the soil, the deer can smell it and they will eat the dirt to get the salt.

She's found something to eat. Whether it's something naturally occurring or something that someone has purposely put on the ground, it is definitely not just a scrape. I would suggest that you might pay attention to that spot a bit because you may have a tresspasser setting up a hunting opportunity for himself. Otherwise, you may have a natural attraction that may be useful for your own hunting.

Doc