first time out/Oct 1st!

New2bow

Ok Bow Hunters, this is my first post after intro. I am a first time hunter. I have my place picked out (3N), and i think its pretty good (assuming when i get there it isnt already taken?). My plan is to go out the night before, and lock my climber to the base of the tree i picked, then come out pre dawn and set up. Am I breaching any rules, or hunter ettiquet by doing this? Also, how would you handle someone arriving at your spot after you are there? I am open to any support, or guidance, and appreciate all the wisdom you guys share on this list

Best

Robert

I'd agree with everyone, although off the top of my head I was pretty sure you are not allowed to store any personal property on state land (exception would be duck blinds properly labeled). I'd imagine public land allowing storage would explicitly state so and that an officer could reasonably say that putting a stand out the night before would be considered storage.

Honestly, I hunt public land in 3n as well and it's very unlikely that DEC would find your stand especially if its only there the night before. The general public however - you take your chances.

As far as claiming a spot, I agree with others that it's first come / first served. And if you're there first others should move on once your presence is known to them from a flashlight or quick call out. But I wouldn't consider you putting a stand out the night before as getting there first so if I were to be sitting at the base the tree with your stand in it and you come in after me - I may or may not move on depending on my mood.

Something to consider - you may have someone beat you to your spot and have no use of your stand at all that day.

I also shotgun on 3n public lands and one time remember "racing" this other car to a parking spot. I made a rite turn in front of him about 2 miles before the parking area. He was pissed and tailed me to where we both wanted to park. After some lite un-pleasantries and my car snugly nestled into the spot we parted ways. He took the next spot further down the dirt road. The next time I saw him, I was up under my tree flashing him with my light since he was headed my way...hahah..beat him twice in one day!

I would not leave my stand in the woods. Way too many people on the public lands between bikers, hikers, families, etc. I would be more worried about those tree-huggers messing with my stand than another hunter stealing it.

Hello & welcome. I'm hunting up by you but I usually stay over in 3C by Cranberry Mountain. I'm pretty sure on state land you are not allowed to leave anything over night and you can't use things like screw in steps etc... that cause degregation to the land. That being said last year I saw about a dozen stands on state game land chain to trees. Remember opening day bow is also opening day for small game and you will be competing with that. The first day of Archery isn't as competitive as shotgun season in that aspect but I wait a few days until the bird hunters relax a little. Do you pheasant hunt?

• Like 1

If it's hunting on a large public area....scout in as deep as possible...make sure your climber is nice and light....take a good small flash light( green lens) with you and make sure the tree is ALIVE...You cant always tell if leaves have dropped...mark it with flagging

Then go in a couple of hours before day light...meaning be set up at the very least and hour before....no one like walking in the dark too very far...this should get you away from the crowd

If you haven't already, practice with your climber.

They take a little getting used to, get to know it so set up at the base of the tree is quiet as possible and not rushed. And - the starting angle; nothing worse then getting to the height you want and being at a down angle.

Don't drop your release ;)

• Like 1

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/68895.html

"The prohibition on placing structures and storing personal property on all state lands without authorization from DEC became effective in May 2009. The regulation does allow for the following exceptions:

• a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to the provisions of the state land use regulation;
  • a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season;
  • a legally placed trap that is placed and used during trapping season;
  • a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number; or
  • a geocache, except in the High Peaks Wilderness, that is labeled with the owner's name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree."

Edited by covert

If you go in the night before just before dark you should be alright. I have heard of people useing yopur stand if they find it. So if you put it in any earlier you could have company either in your stand or somebody that found your honey hole and set up close to it. All hunters aren't always respectful of your space. Keep your spot a secret untill the last minute.

I will leave my climber in at night if I am going in first thing in the morning. That is the only time I will leave it in.

Good luck with yoru stand and hunting. Most importantly have fun.

As a former public land hunter i will tell you this, the state will not accept responsabitlity for your stand if it comes up missing, And the lock means nothing if they want to take your set they will, Then you have to replace the set plus a lock, ive seen people actually cut down the tree the stand was in to get at one, carry it in or be prepared to lose it from a thief, Ive had them stolen only to find them later set up in a different place, lol but i never hung a stand on public land that i wasnt ready to sacrifice for a good spot, And i just stopped locking them wrote my name, address and phone number on them with permanent marker and i never had one stolen after that. good luck

In a Wildlife management area (WMU) You must bring your stand in and out every day that you hunt, there is no pre-season placement allowed.

In a state forest, you are allowed to place your stand no more than 30 days prior to opening day, and it can remain until the end of the season.

Edited by Skillet

I'd be wary about bringing your stand to the spot the night before. I think the added disturbance of an extra trip in would outweigh the benefit of having your stand there waiting for you. As long as you're sure that the spot is ready to go, I'd just carry it in with you. Whatever you do, GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Skillet

If you go in the night before just before dark you should be alright. I have heard of people useing yopur stand if they find it. So if you put it in any earlier you could have company either in your stand or somebody that found your honey hole and set up close to it. All hunters aren't always respectful of your space. Keep your spot a secret untill the last minute.

I will leave my climber in at night if I am going in first thing in the morning. That is the only time I will leave it in.

Good luck with yoru stand and hunting. Most importantly have fun.

you got that right, had one cam stolen already with a lock box on it, and another spot i had tape on a couple a tree's way back in figuring most wouldn't got that deep n ripped all my tape off... don't care though cause im a little nuts when it comes to this stuff and i'll be up that tree WAY before they even start walkin from the truck lol....