Off to Wyoming...

BizCT

I am off to Wyoming in less than 2 weeks for a Mule Deer/Antelope combo 5-day hunt. It will be my first time hunting both Mule Deer & Antelope. I have been doing a lot of research on how to field judge these animals, but I know it will be tough when I get out there. I am used to hunting deer in Putnam County (3N) with a shotgun where my farthest shot is 50-60 yards and if I see a buck or 2 a season it was a good year. Out there, from what I was told, I will see many bucks each day. I am not concerned about the long shooting, bringing 2 Weatherby's, a .270Mag and 7MM Mag and feel very confident out to 300-400 yards. I am just really worried I am going to shoot something and then regret it when I see it on the ground. I almost hope I dont see a shooter the first day lol. I am hoping for a nice 4x4 with of at least 24" spread, though it would be tough for me to turn down any sort of non-typical. With regards to the Antelope, it appears even tougher to field judge. 12" compared to 14" is a huge difference.... Any last minute tips from those of you who have hunted out there?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am off to Wyoming in less than 2 weeks for a Mule Deer/Antelope combo 5-day hunt. It will be my first time hunting both Mule Deer & Antelope. I have been doing a lot of research on how to field judge these animals, but I know it will be tough when I get out there. I am used to hunting deer in Putnam County (3N) with a shotgun where my farthest shot is 50-60 yards and if I see a buck or 2 a season it was a good year. Out there, from what I was told, I will see many bucks each day. I am not concerned about the long shooting, bringing 2 Weatherby's, a .270Mag and 7MM Mag and feel very confident out to 300-400 yards. I am just really worried I am going to shoot something and then regret it when I see it on the ground. I almost hope I dont see a shooter the first day lol. I am hoping for a nice 4x4 with of at least 24" spread, though it would be tough for me to turn down any sort of non-typical. With regards to the Antelope, it appears even tougher to field judge. 12" compared to 14" is a huge difference.... Any last minute tips from those of you who have hunted out there?

How much shooting have you done at 300 to 400 yards? Anything over 150 yards is a long shot for most shooters who don't practice much. Just wait until you see a muley or an antelope at 300 to 400 yards. Just because you are shooting those Weatherby's honestly don't mean diddly. Shooting at that type of yardage takes a LOT of practice. The gun won't do it by itself for you. YOU are the one who will have to have that very steady hold.

How much shooting have you done at 300 to 400 yards? Anything over 150 yards is a long shot for most shooters who don't practice much. Just wait until you see a muley or an antelope at 300 to 400 yards. Just because you are shooting those Weatherby's honestly don't mean diddly. Shooting at that type of yardage takes a LOT of practice. The gun won't do it by itself for you. YOU are the one who will have to have that very steady hold.

There is a range by me that is 200 yards and shoot very good groups. I have shot off a bipod, shot from sitting down, etc. I have shot coyotes up in Canada at over 300 yards. I am not worried about making the shot on a 200lb+ deer. Honestly, I dont think it takes much practice. I shoot a handful of times before a trip and never had an issue.

Well, I hope you can make it happen. I have been out west a good number of times and in my opinion shooting at such yardage is not as simple as some think it is.

If you are looking for tips, my tip would be not to set your goals so high on the animals you want to kill. A 14 inch antelope and a 24 inch muley you won't find behind every hill. In my opinion it's a safer bet shooting a representative buck your first time out at more modest ranges, than screwing up on something bigger at a more risky distance.

Biz...if they are guiding won't they be able to provide guidance inthe size of the ones you see. I have heard for us Eastern White tail hunters.... a good Muley is hard to jusdge because they look so much buigger. I have no reference though.

Yea I am sure they will be able to assist.

first guide page I have seen with no package prices posted.... weird

$5K for Mule Deer/Antelope Combo.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

That $5k price tag just made me break out in a little sweat hahaha

I figure that doing the Mule Deer and Antelope on the same trip saves me $ on the hunt, and also not flying two times and everything else that it would cost for 2 trips. Originally, I only planned to hunt Mule Deer, but the combo wasn't much more $. It came out much cheaper to both one 1 trip.

My Dad is also going, but only for Antelope. He has 4 Mule Deer and 2 Antelope already.

The licenses were killer (over $850 for my 2 tags). The Shipping I will find out. My first priority is the cape and horns for taxidermy. However, I will probably ship back some meat from both animals and donate the rest.

I know we could have done a DYI for cheaper, but for the first time (for me) going out there. I want to have a high success rate on a 5-day hunt. Maybe someday down the road I would do a DYI. Might be a better option if I was going with more people as well. Hotel, Rental Truck, 3 meals a day, etc all adds up anyway.

The licenses were killer (over $850 for my 2 tags). The Shipping I will find out. My first priority is the cape and horns for taxidermy. However, I will probably ship back some meat from both animals and donate the rest.

I know we could have done a DYI for cheaper, but for the first time (for me) going out there. I want to have a high success rate on a 5-day hunt. Maybe someday down the road I would do a DYI. Might be a better option if I was going with more people as well. Hotel, Rental Truck, 3 meals a day, etc all adds up anyway.

Thats exactly how I feel too, first time out with help to figure things out and on my own from there.