Off to Wyoming...

BizCT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a great time Biz. I hope to do a trip like that at some point. I shoot 200 yrds regularly. I know 300 would be more difficult, but not much. 400 results in a much larger drop as the velocity slows. I would become very familiar with your ballistic calculations if you won't have a chance to shoot at that distance before the trip. Good luck.

We are flying in a day before the guide picks us up since we wouldnt have gotten there before dark if we flew in the we are being picked up. We are staying in a motel near the airport and the guide will pick us up early the next morning. We will have plenty of time to make sure our rifles are still sighted in. The guide has a full shooting range on his property.

I'm sure they make you shoot to see how you hit, before letting you just go out and take crazy shots at animals.

Have it written down at home, but im like 2-3" high at 100, still rising at 200, dead on at 300, 8-9" low at 400

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Good luck. sounds like non residents have a good chance to get tags then. Seems like elk and moose are the toughest tags for non-residents going out west as far as big game in lower 48 states.

Not positive....but I think Colorado has OTC Elk tags?

yes , they do. now to save some more $$$

Yea after this year, if I ever go back out west it will be for an Elk. But that will be years from now, as Im already booked for Mt. Lion/Coues Deer in Arizona, Bobcat in Minnesota, Deer in Pennsylvania, and Lynx in British Columbia....

We are flying in a day before the guide picks us up since we wouldnt have gotten there before dark if we flew in the we are being picked up. We are staying in a motel near the airport and the guide will pick us up early the next morning. We will have plenty of time to make sure our rifles are still sighted in. The guide has a full shooting range on his property.

I'm sure they make you shoot to see how you hit, before letting you just go out and take crazy shots at animals.

Have it written down at home, but im like 2-3" high at 100, still rising at 200, dead on at 300, 8-9" low at 400

Sounds about right. With my .270 using Powermax bonded 130gr, I drop 7.5 inches from a 100 yard zero at 400.

Good luck, Kid...

Pay attention to your guide's advice..He has seen MANY more of those critters than you have..

Only thing I can tell you, is look for a goat with cutters as high as his ears and lots of mass and a nice long curl on the main beam..Those things are tough to judge and your guide should help you with that..

As per mulies...An average mule deer buck looks HUGE next to an average NY whitetail...

His ears will be about 18" wide, which will give you a reference on the spread...The tines should be forked and well defined, meaning a 4x4 should have two deep Ys on each beam..

Good luck..I envy you... Looking forward to your report and pictures when you return..

Good luck, Kid...

Pay attention to your guide's advice..He has seen MANY more of those critters than you have..

Only thing I can tell you, is look for a goat with cutters as high as his ears and lots of mass and a nice long curl on the main beam..Those things are tough to judge and your guide should help you with that..

As per mulies...An average mule deer buck looks HUGE next to an average NY whitetail...

His ears will be about 18" wide, which will give you a reference on the spread...The tines should be forked and well defined, meaning a 4x4 should have two deep Ys on each beam..

Good luck..I envy you... Looking forward to your report and pictures when you return..

Thanks man. Yea I heard the WY antelopes arent of the 15-17" variety but they have great mass. I dont know much about b&c scoring, but I think with Antelope its something like 2 length measurements and 8 circumference measurements.

Regarding Mule Deer, I heard ear to ear is like 20-22". I definitely want the deep fork mule deer look. I see some Mule Deer have antlers like whitetails almost, I definitely dont want that.

Biz, I just got back a few days ago from a WYO rifle mule deer/archery elk hunt. I was about 1 hour from Jackson Hole. Shot a beautiful 4x4 with eyeguards and missed a 6x6 elk. Mulies have huge ears. Anything at or past his ears with good forks, shoot him. This was my first mulie. They are much bigger than whitetails. What will the terrain be like? We were in the high country approx 9k feet, all hills. I went out there with my 7mag at 2"high at 100. Oufitter advised a 100 yard zero because no flat shots. All up or down, which will make the shot shoot high. He was right on the money. Listen to your guide if he is good. Good luck.

Congrats on your mulie, Pistol...Pictures ?....

Jackson Hole is beautiful country. Did you get into town ?

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is pretty cool..

I don't want to hijack Biz thread. I'.ll try to post pics seperate tomorrow. Yes, i got into town. Really nice. Million dollar cowboy bar was cool. Saddle seats get uncomfortable quick, especially when I just rode real horse for 3 hrs a day for 6 days straight.

Sounds awesome. Post the pics! I was advised to be 2-3" high at 100 yards. I think I am hunting more flat land than you did. I will be hunting near Buffalo, WY (North-Central Wyoming). Who is the guide you went with?

I am flying out Saturday to Denver, Denver to Sheridan.