Coyote

nyslowhand

I have some on our trail camera, my dad saw one, a nice sized on 50lbs at 50 yards redish coat when walking 2 weeks ago.  Personally I've seen 5 of them.  2 were drooling over my deer as I rolled up in my ATV, no bite marks on the deer, so it was OK.  And I had two piss on my tree when I was bow hunting a few years back.  Then last year I saw one to far and fast for a shot.  They are all over, I can hear them at night on my uncles property.  And on ours like I said we have visual and trail cam of them.  And the neighbors said its symphony at night.

Well since my grandfather runs about 90 to 100 head of sheep, I've seen them far far too much. 

First one I killed was with a full choke tube + 00 Buck from about 50 yards, during turkey season.  She was probably at least 50 to 60 lbs. 

We killed a 5 of them in the space of a week about 5 to 6 years ago now, they've been avoiding the area until this summer, now they're starting to come snooping around the sheep again.

This guy is going to be bait for more coyotes if it's in season & close enough with bow or muzzleloader.

I've read that if there is an established population they will kill at least 25% of the whitetail fawns.

Sure they raise hell with the turkey poults also.

Also read a very disturbing piece of propaganda promoting coyotes about them eating 1000 mice/year/coyote.

That would be perfect if that was the extent of their damage to domestic & wild animals.

As far as the Turkey Poults go..... around '95 there was 2 flocks of 100+ birds floating around the farm, and maybe 2 packs of coyotes in the area.  Now there's at least 4 packs of Yotes', and the Turkey population is less than 50% of what it was 15 years ago.  I rarely see a flock of over 50 anymore.  I'm sure Bambi get's hit hard too.

Several years ago I split a lease in Wayne Co. Coyote song was a common thing. Shot about 1/2 dozen of them, by chance. Maybe another 3-4 actually trying to hunt them. Going out in the snow there yote tracks outnumbered anything else by a long shot. That is untill I paid more attention to varmint-critters and took the 22mag or the .243 out for several walks. Withing a time span of 3 years I saw a healthy increase in the local Turkey population. That whole process, takes dedication, and time away from your regular hunting and the payoff is by no means instant. But if you got the land and you want good game hunting it isn't just food plots and apple trees that'll do it.

I can remember camping out there and being woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of some critter screatching for it's life while a pack of yotes have it cornered, and taking a walk the next day spooking off two yotes off what remainded of the carcass. They had it virtually pined down and cleaned off, it looked like it was perfectly skinned by them. Another time I remember hunting squirrels and I was parked against a hedgerow near sundown in a corner where I had seen greys jumping branches before. Well it was getting dark and time to pack it up. Just then I heard a yawning sound, like a dog would make - less then 10 yards to my right in the hedgerow. I did a quick look and now I'm in a stare down with a yote, somehow he snuck right up there and both of us were clueless to each other being there up untill that point. After about 15 seconds it bolted ouuta there. That was a cool close encounter and one of the only times I've seen a yote stand still that long. Good times.

I went to a coyote hunting seminar last winter. They said that studies have shown that coyotes kill 40-70% of whitetail fawns each year. I did some research on this afterwards and found the same stats with different studies that were done in the East.

I've read reports that say turkey populations have dropped 80% in areas with well established coyote populations. 8-10 years ago, we had a HUGE turkey population in my area, I mean I think we had more turkeys than squirrels! In the past 6 or so years, when we go out when there's snow on the ground, there will be many more coyote tracks than anything else! In that same timeframe, our turkey population is almost non existant! There's none around in the spring to hunt, I seldom ever get pics, and I haven't laid eyes on any for 2-3 years! I trap raccoons and opossums in the fall, just to help thin out the nest raiders. My neighbor traps fox and coyotes. I try my best to call coyotes, with little/no luck. Must be doing something wrong.

let the trapper and coyote hunter come on in and help control the population.The fact is,there here to stay. you'll never kill them all..... I talked to a local Biologist, He said,you think you have alot of coyotes now.You haven't seen anything yet....New ones move into the area,females give birth to larger litters when the population is low. The population is only going to grow in New York State....They have everything they need in this state.... I'm a trapper,I've got more land to trap than i can handle,All because of Mr.Yote.......

• 2 weeks later...

I like to run coyotes.  I hunt with a group who run with dogs and I know a few other groups our most in one year was 78.  They are bold and stealth!  No other way to say it.  I live on a small farm and around deer season when guys gut their deer behind the house or across the street the night is lit up howls.  And when alone in the woods coon hunting when the hounds strike up its intimidating hearing a pack of coyotes start to talk back and forth.  Ive got many funny and amazing stories of coyotes you just have to respect them...