horse smell - cover scent?

nybuckboy

I have 2 horses, both geldings. They eat the same as deer do when turned out and when inside in their stalls they eat hay... the same grasses, clover, alfalfa, etc as deer only it's dried and the only other thing they have is 1/2 coffee can of grain twice a day plus fresh water. I was thinking rather than go thru all the pain of keeping my clothes scent proof that I just wash it with scent free detergent every other week depending how often I hunt but leave it hung the horse barn. I don't think it would spook deer.

What do you think?

yea ive even seen deer eating right along side cows, thought they were really skinny baby beefers until i looked a little harder! my neighbors have horses and they are always outside and the deer dont pay any attention to them or get spooked by them.

however, im not really a fan of cover scents because i believe deer will decipher every scent that crosses their nose. so whether you smell entirely of a horse barn, or fresh earth or whatever you use i think they will "uncover" your scent lol.

i try to have my clothes and equipment scent free, whatever comes in contact with vegetation or whatever. case in point, yesterday walking into the woods with my climber, as i entered a hedgerow my climber got a little tangled in some branches. the deer were walking perpendicular to my entry along the hedge and spent about 5 mins sniffing the branches that came in contact with my climber. up goes the tail, and they slowly retreated the way they came and eventually out into the field anyway. its darn near impossible to pull the wool over their eyes, so instead of covering it up i try and eliminate as much as possible. but to each his own.

Same situation as you, during the midday when not hunting i keep my clothes in the barn and than before going out sometimes i walk through the manure to act as a cover, i mean think about it all farmers spread sometype of manure on the fields the deer have to be used to smelling it. Who knows if it works but its cheap and with 5 horses we have alot of it lol.

I'm all about trying to be scent free... keep my outer scent free camo coverall suit in the zip bags, spray down boots and lower legs before my walk in, etc. But as most of us here have said they think deer can still smell us. Therefore if the smell of the horse (which probably smells like deer) is stronger then the human scent it may help. Like someone said as long as we wash the outer covers and under clothes weekly to get rid of our human scent it may be worth a try.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow morning and go hang it tonight.

deer will decipher every scent that crosses their nose. so whether you smell entirely of a horse barn, or fresh earth or whatever you use i think they will "uncover" your scent.

This - you cannot hide one scent with another from a deer.

I hunt a farm that has heifers. Their meadows boarder most of the woods I hunt. I walk right through their mess on the way into my stands. But I think it is important to keep your self and your clothes as clean as possible. Wash your clothes often. I shower before I go out, almost every time. Some times you can't. Wash your boots,in scent free soap especially the soles, the night before you go out. In the A.M. spray down everything before heading out. Bottom of boots too. for clothes and boots I use "free and clear" laundry detergent. Almost all brands make a free and clear . It's laundry detergent with no dyes and no perfumes. It's made for people with skin allergies. Right now I'm using "all" free and clear but they all make it. You can get a half gallon for about 6 bucks

I have a neighbor who regularly rides her horse on woodland trails. She sees more deer, and closer, than I do hunting. (For the record...she smells SWEET!)

Yeah , my SIL has 2 horses and lives in "horse country" (Geneseo) . One of the guys said when they ride the trails through the high grass that bedded deer will stand up , look and lay back down . I thought , wouldn't it be great to bow hunt from horseback !

I usually step in some horse crap when going to the stand for a little cover scent . If you do this , use the side rungs of the ladder stand to climb up .