Long Island Deer Movement

Geno C

Congrats guys on all the great deer!!!! I will be back out on the island this weekend. I feel i have a better chance of taking a nice buck out there right now with my bow than i do on the farm i hunt upstate with the gun. Good luck to everybody still hunting out there!!!

John

This is my last day hunting ... I'm done after today, been hunting hard since oct 1st. Had a chance oct 14th I botched it up can't blame anything but myself. This year was just hard hunting. No real seeking no real chasing. Gargabe... Night and day dif from last year.

Went out yesterday for the first time since Oct. 15th to my public land spot. At 7:30am heard crunch, crunch, crunch and just over this little hill a monster 8 point with his head down was cruising bye. Watched him stop and make a ground scrape. He ripped the ground up and then continued on. Was probably about 60 yards and never stopped to come in. Literally 5 minutes later behind me a nice spikehorn was on the move but out of my range as well. That was it for the day. Would have definitely taken either one. Will try that spot again next week and just hope somehow they are still around.

I was out yesterday all day. Didn't see any deer in the morning but my brother almost got a shot a a nice 4 pointer but he just didn't come close enough. He did manage to video the buck and it was a pretty big deer for a 4 pointer.

IMG_2344.jpg

In the afternoon we hunted state land and my brother had some small game hunters walk up on him and they told him they saw a wounded 6 pointer that couldn't get up and looked like it was suffering He climbed down and found the deer and shot him so he wouldn't suffer any longer. It was a small 7 pointer. He had a huge gash in his back and couldn't get up. My brother tagged him and now he is at the butcher. I had a ton of deer coming my way as i was climbing down but i was in a rush to get back to the check station on time so i had to leave. They really need to make the check out times a little later so you can at least hunt until sundown.

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

On a good note i did manage to get a pic of the buck that i was hunting last year. I was happy to see he was still alive but he didn't grow very much which was surprising Hopefully i will get a shot at him or the bigger one that is around before the season ends

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Good luck to whoever is still out there hunting!!!

John

from what i saw last year alot of deer held on to their head gear for longer then ive ever seen... the right side you saw may have been broken off. i have several deer on cam that have broken sides almost down to the base. plus i have seen a few of them around the 20 yard mark and they were def broken up

Good Luck Jimmy!! Ill be out Friday Sat and Sunday trying to get a big one down before the end of the season. I also just ordered a crossbow so i can hunt my private land spot in Jan. I cant hunt there with a shotgun because the owners have horses and it will scare them too much.

John

Hmm... John that's a great idea!! Never even thought of that! Bet the landowner I have permission from would be fine with that! He wasn't so fond of people shooting shotguns on his property when we got the piece a few years ago but I'm sure I can get him to go for the crossbow thing. Which one did you order?

I did not see anything at my spot yesterday. My brother in the same area jumped a deer walking in and saw a buck in the afternoon but to far away. We both did hear 3 loud gun shots close by and saw a vehicle take off and we also on the way out found 2 deer rib cages, 4 deer legs and a hide. Interesting day to say the least.