side by side shotgun

Anyone have a used side by side theyre looking to get rid of. Ive been looking for one for a couple of years but cant find anything decent. It seems like theyve stopped producing them outside of 1 or 2 companies. cant find any winchester, browning, remington. Not looking to spend more then a few hundred. 20 gauge (3 inch) or 12 gauge.

Try Stoeger then, cheap gun but might fit your needs.

Other wise you are SOL unless you increase your price range. A good one can be found for $700-$1000

You think it would cost that much even if its not in great condition? I dont care if the outside is scratched up as long as the barrels(inside) arent too damaged.

Ive been looking for one for a couple of years but cant find anything decent.

Gun broker always has a few in the $300 range......avoid the Chinese hammer guns and damascus steel barrels......look for good shipping terms.

Find an FFL along the drive for cheap that'll sell to a city address.

You'd increase your choices a bunch at 500 all in. JMO.

I have been small game and bird hunting with doubles for many years and enjoy using them, there is just something about their classic look and handling I like especially in the smaller gauges. As with anything else you will get what you pay for and when it comes to doubles I would avoid the cheap stuff because they can be real crap! Used Savage, SKBs and some imported Spanish doubles can be had at a reasonable price if you shop around and hit some gun shows. The CZ doubles are probably one of the better buys today for new and they can also can be found used for a good deal.Save up and get a nice one and it will give you a lifetime of hunting memories.

Al

• Like 1

I have been small game and bird hunting with doubles for many years and enjoy using them, there is just something about their classic look and handling I like especially in the smaller gauges. As with anything else you will get what you pay for and when it comes to doubles I would avoid the cheap stuff because they can be real crap! Used Savage, SKBs and some imported Spanish doubles can be had at a reasonable price if you shop around and hit some gun shows. The CZ doubles are probably one of the better buys today for new and they can also can be found used for a good deal.Save up and get a nice one and it will give you a lifetime of hunting memories.

Al

Good advice from Airdale..

I have an SKB 20 gauge s/s that I bought in used but like new condition for $200 in 1975...It has been my primary bird/small game gun for nearly 40 years and has never missed a beat. other than a few honorable scars, it is just as good today as when I bought it. In that same time I have gone through 3 cheap Spanish doubles, a .410, a 28, and a 20.. All three of them were useless after less than 1000 rounds apiece.. Buy quality, and you'll never have to replace it.. SKBs are fairly common and will not break the bank. I have not shot the CZ doubles, but I am impressed with the quality of thier rifles..Excellent quality and performance for the price.

Edited by Pygmy

I agree with the statements on the CZ doubles. I have their 28 gauge Ringneck double. It has sideplares with case coloring and handles really nice. Well worth the money, good quality and comes with choke tubes as well.

Is the CZ really a sidelock, or a boxlock with sideplates..?

Not that it makes any difference..I would like to handle a CZ double...My experience with thier rifles is very positive.. The choke tubes are a real advantage..Really increases the versatility..

I did enjoy my cheap Spanish 28 gauge double, until it started breaking cocking springs..Handled nice, and I killed a lot of birds with it, up to and including pheasants. It was Mod/full and was little tight choked for grouse and woodcock, but still performed OK.. I was into crow hunting at the time, and I killed a BUNCH of crows with it with #9 skeet loads..

BTW... The retail price on my RENO 28 gauge double was $100 in 1968.. My parents paid for HALF the price for my High School graduation present. I paid the other $50, at $5 per week, from my local gun shop, The Central Cigar Store ( and poolroom) in Addison, NY...

I have a CZ Bobwhite (12 gu, sxs, side lock, two triggers, changeable chokes, extractors) that I like a lot. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it so I can't vouch for longetivity.

I like the two triggers as it's simpler mechanically than a single trigger with barrel selector switch so less to go wrong. I'm fine with the extractors but if you want to be able to re-load quickly with bulky gloves on (i.e. duck hunting) you may want to search out a model with ejectors.

It was quite a bit over $200 but still pretty reasonable for a double at $600 and something.

Here's a nice little article showing the difference between box lock/box w/ plates/sidelock......

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2011/09/sidelock-or-boxlock-see-if-you-can-tell/

And this is a good resource for understanding what many terms mean with good pics;

http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm

For example;

http://www.hallowellco.com/boxlock.htm#Boxlock

http://www.hallowellco.com/sidelock%20definition.htm

• Like 1

Anyone have a used side by side theyre looking to get rid of. Ive been looking for one for a couple of years but cant find anything decent. It seems like theyve stopped producing them outside of 1 or 2 companies. cant find any winchester, browning, remington. Not looking to spend more then a few hundred. 20 gauge (3 inch) or 12 gauge.

You can, if you look hard enough, find a good used one. Unfortunately they won't drop out of the sky. Sometimes the search is part of the fun too. Old American doubles are classics, but there are some good imported ones too (new and used) that are worth looking at. Just about everyone has a "Grandpa's shotgun" that was a classic, old American double.tucked away that they cherish and still use. They are the lucky ones.

Here is a good article by Chuck Hawks that offers alternatives, and stays away from suggesting the better quality side by side's like L.C. Smith, A.H. Fox, Lefever, Parker and WInchester M21's. The only one that may be difficult to find is Ruger's Gold Label; which disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Unfortunately many of these won't sell for a "few hundred," but if you find the right one it will be worth paying the extra scratch.

http://www.chuckhawk...ble_doubles.htm