Dogs killing my spot.

HuntOrBeHunted

I wouldnt worry about a grey fox scaring off the deer. I had trail cam pics from the spring of a few does chasing a pair of greys out of a food plot. The deer are always in it for the clover and i guess the fox are there for the bugs, mice, chipmonks.

Yea Im not sure a fox would kill your spot.

Maybe not kill it but without a doubt put a damper on the deer movement.

I had many many pics of does and a little buck on my camera. Then the dogs started coming in and I have not seen many deer at all since ( maybe 2 ).

On some pics there are 2 or 3 dogs.

WNY I put the camera there and leave it for a few days. And your very much right I may be over hunting it.

I seen all the pics and got excited to get in the woods. I have been there a few times in the past week. The thing that caught me off guard was the amount of pics I had of deer and then out of no were them dogs started coming around and the seer seemed to stop.

You think I should just stay away from there for a week or so leave the camera out of the woods and try again in a few days or what not?

I dont touch my cams for 2 weeks at a time unless they are right by the stand I am hunting, then Ill swap the card while Im there. Mind you, I dont usually put my cams right near my stands, Ill set them near trail heads to fields and other food sources. I dont really try and use them to figure out patterns as much as I use them just to see whats hanging around.

Do you have any other stand areas to hunt? How big is the property?

It's state land it covers some ground not to sure how many acers but theres plenty. Thats one reason I don't leave the camera out for to long since it is on state land. I should try to leave it out longer.

And I have the camera close to were I sit.

And yes I have a few other spots but none with ( what was ) that many deer pictures.

What do you think my best move would be stay out and hope the deer movement comes back?

Cabin I asked the same thing then Wikipedia it and they are part of the canadie family/genus. Canidae (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˈkænɨd/) [2] is the biological family of carnivorous and omnivorous mammals that includes domesticdogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes,.

So I learned something new today . B) The only good thing I can say is that fox don't like to be around coyotes. They will inhabit the same area but most of the time they will try to stay in different areas than each other. Like the other guys said a fox won't scare the deer away but a coyote would.

At this time of year, patterns can shift overnight. When the leaves start falling, expect summer patterns to break down. Also farm crops are being harvested right now, so that too can change deer movements instantly. Small game hunters add another variable. Other bowhunters can put pressure on certain areas and move deer into different patterns. Weather has shifted seasons, that can change the summer patterns of deer. There is also talk of some rut activity beginning. That absolutely will move deer. The point is that we are right in the middle of massive changes for the deer, and you should be expecting significant pattern shifts. And none of it has anything to do with foxes. No deer is afraid of a fox, that I have ever seen. Time for a little in-season scouting to play catch-up with the current deer movements. Personally I might be tempted to do a bit of predator calling after deer season, but it would have absolutely nothing to do with concerns about foxes changing deer behavior.

Hounds77 they are part of the dog family. I didn't think so untill I did some research on the today. They are part of the canidea family. If you find something that says different let me know because I was suprised at it myself.

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 1

That fox is not your problem. Although he is a dandy . I believe you have wore out your welcome in that particular spot and the deer have found a safer place to hang out. Or they are simply hitting a different food source so they have changed their pattern. Whatever the case, don't fret about it, just adjust. Thats what most people have to do every season. And although technically a canine, if you go around telling people you shot a dog with your bow, that won't be recieved very well.. It's a Fox