Deer hunting with pistols

builtright716

Does anyone else out there hunt deer with a pistol? I am interested in hearing your opinions and stories. I just love the lack of having to carry a long gun out in the woods. I hunt with a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 cal. I have taken 4 does in 2 years with this gun, and all were heart shots. There is no tracking involved.

post-130-131455334317_thumb.jpg

I carry my TC Encore chambered in 260 Remington. I just started with it last year and it has a fox to its name so far. No deer yet, but I hope to change that this year. I also like the reduced weight and added challenge, but I have a much better range than a shotgun.

DSC_5414-1.jpg

What glass are you running on that?  How about loads?

I just got a XP 100 260 Remington from a fellow board member here.  I tossed a 2x7 Leupold rifle scope on it so I could at least here it go bang.  Shot it yesterday, although only 50 yards I got some 1/2" groups with factory 120 grain Corelocks.  Twas fun!

What glass are you running on that?  How about loads?

I just got a XP 100 260 Remington from a fellow board member here.  I tossed a 2x7 Leupold rifle scope on it so I could at least here it go bang.  Shot it yesterday, although only 50 yards I got some 1/2" groups with factory 120 grain Corelocks.  Twas fun!

The scope is an NC Star that was on it when I bought it. Its not horrible and Ill use it till it doesnt work or I run across a good deal on a better one. I should see what Vortex has for pistol scopes. I run 140 grain Remington factory ammo for now. I am going to be getting the stuff for reloading together so I can work up loads for it. I was hitting milk jugs at 200 yards and clay pigeons at 100 with the factory ammo at the range just messing around with it. I havent shot real groups with it yet. Ill have it at the range a few more times before season starts.

I'm just finding that as I slowly grow older than dirt...holding a pistol out with my arm fully extended allows my old eyes to see both sights!

As luck would have it, my shooting eye is the one going and for the last few years I have been shooting lefty, because it's hard to look at rifle sights wearing my glasses...as they're for reading. I can see the back sight...but not the front and sometimes the target is too blurry to focus on too.

But a pistol works much better...I can aim easier with the left eye...and while practicing with a CO-2 BB pistol I find that I can hit all the targets I aim at again.

Looks like I need to buy one. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ruger Super Red Hawk with a 10" ported barrel. I mounted a Nikon scope on it a few years ago. She shoots great; the guy pulling the trigger is another story.

Some observations and opinions on using it for deer. I have taken a few deer with this gun including my best to date. However, when I got it 10 years ago I shot a lot even if I did not shoot the .44 I would shoot some .22 pistols that I own. And as everyone knows practice makes perfect. When shooting a handgun your mistakes are magnified. I dont have the same time as i used to have on the range so I reverted back to a shotgun. I hated to do it but it was only fair to the animal and the sport. I am joing a local club so I will have more time to shoot handguns again and hopefully take the old hand cannon back into the woods.

• 3 weeks later...