Ruger SR1911

I have been looking at getting a 1911 for a few months now, and just kind of bouncing around through shops to see what I liked, what I could afford, and ultimately, what I wanted. After handling several guns, I decided that I wanted a Commander sized gun that didn’t max out my budget, and most of all a gun that I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot the daylights out of. The Ruger fit the bill on all of those fronts.

I remember kind of drooling over the full size when it came out in 2011, but trying to support my wife and I on a High School teachers salary with a spouse in vet school, even an entry level 1911 was out of the question. 

That changed last week, when I visited a little shop in Washington County and found this gun for a decent price. It’s nice and tight, and outside of the shop or previous owner pretty much drowning the thing in oil, it looked great and was exactly what I was looking for. I picked it up today, and got all of the excess oil (and dirt) off of it. The thing looks pretty much brand new, and with the box and all the goodies, it can pretty much pass as such. 

I am going to dress it up a little bit with some Ruger “Eagle’s Wings” grips, but outside of that, I plan on leaving it pretty much stock  

Best of all, I got it in time to take back home to Illinois and plink with my dad a bit. That in itself is priceless. 

B88F8EFD-6057-4F64-8C92-3C111ABDDDC7.jpeg

6D01FBD4-93F9-4965-B298-7C7C2ABCEBF9.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 12

Sweet 1911!  I didn't think we had similar taste in firearms at all but i really like your last couple purchases. 

How does taking a handgun back to Illinois work? I assume you have a permit there as well from living there previously. What about States you travel through or flying?

Watch the direction you are going, you may end up building one of those black rifles! .... lol

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Sweet 1911!  I didn't think we had similar taste in firearms at all but i really like your last couple purchases. 

How does taking a handgun back to Illinois work? I assume you have a permit there as well from living there previously. What about States you travel through or flying?

Watch the direction you are going, you may end up building one of those black rifles! .... lol

I doubt a black rifle is in my future, but I've always liked any "classic" design :)

I've talked with the states we'll be traveling through, and as long as it they are locked in a hard sided case, separate from ammo, I'm good with "safe passage". I spoke with ISP, and the local district commander said that as long as I have a license in my home state, I'm fine for IL. I was a little worried that I couldn't do it, but it sounds like as long as I stay away from NJ, I'm fine. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 2