This ever happen to you?

wiretowire4

Sitting in the stand this morning, hit the grunt call a few times 5 minutes later a four pointer comes waltzing into the cut corn field..Hes coming my direction its 7 30a.m wind is in my face perfect. Then 2 shots from a .22 cal, i assumed, ring out. Now my land owner has about 80 acres and the field comes up two houses that border his property and dont have permission to hunt. And the houses have a clear view right across the field to the woods.Deer bounds off now im furious and also scared cause this person has no regard into where i am or where his bullet is going.Plus i think he is trying to poach my deer.So at first i just wanted to go up there and introduce myself.haha,but instead i did the right thing and called encon. After the investigation, he was shooting squirrels out his window at 730 am.. Go figure what luck i have. P.S. no ticket was issued cause his neighbor didnt care and he can shoot within 500 feet of his own house.

So the question is, was he shooting at squirrels the way he said, or was he shooting at the deer. There seems to be no evidence one way or the other, or at least no evidence of illegality that the CO could determine. I don't know whether you felt there was a poaching attempt, or if you felt he was shooting at you, or both, but you did the right thing by leaving it to the authorities. Let them do the job, and live with the results (not that you really have any choice).

Here's a nifty thought ..... maybe he was trying to interfere with your hunt by scaring the deer off .... lol. There is an interesting illegal act that would be just about impossible to prove. Were you in plain sight of where he was shooting from?

I suspect that it all was just an unfortunate coincidence. Sure enough these kinds of unfortunate coincidences can be mighty irritating. They usually are nobody's fault, but that doesn't lessen the disappointments. I've had similar hunt interferences, but it is not because anyone was doing anything wrong.

• Like 1

here is the real problem with this story

he must of had a license, so why wasn't he out hunting, people today are to lazy to leave the house

pop open the window...shoot a squirel...go play Xbox

if this is the future of our sport....we are in trouble

I'm going to make a website that remotely controls guns in the woods so you can hunt from the luxury of your couch. No scent control to worry about, inclement weather no problem!!! :spiteful:

he must of had a license, so why wasn't he out hunting, people today are to lazy to leave the house

Did you consider that maybe that's where he was shooting the squirrel because that was the particular squirrel that was raiding his bird feeder, or making a nest in his attic? All year I wake up, slide the .22 out the bathroom window and ding the dang Starlings that are trying to get in my bluebird and Marten houses. Then later, after I get dressed, I go out hunting.

• Like 2

Did you consider that maybe that's where he was shooting the squirrel because that was the particular squirrel that was raiding his bird feeder, or making a nest in his attic? All year I wake up, slide the .22 out the bathroom window and ding the dang Starlings that are trying to get in my bluebird and Marten houses. Then later, after I get dressed, I go out hunting.

NO...because i watch the sun come up from the woods....or I watch it come up from the lake

personnally...I don't understand people sleeping in...and then go later.....but thats just me

I'm going to make a website that remotely controls guns in the woods so you can hunt from the luxury of your couch. No scent control to worry about, inclement weather no problem!!! :spiteful:

they had this I belive it was in Texas out lawed it in less then a mounth

you could sit in your office or home see every thing on your monater push a key and a scope showed up place it on your target and hit enter the gun would shoot

juge said if you want to hunt get off your butt out lawed it

papabear

they had this I belive it was in Texas out lawed it in less then a mounth

you could sit in your office or home see every thing on your monater push a key and a scope showed up place it on your target and hit enter the gun would shoot

juge said if you want to hunt get off your butt out lawed it

papabear

right, but didn't they say it would be good for those unable to hunt because of a handicap?

Whos to say the guy isnt disabled, or just wabted to get rid of some tree rats hanging around the house because they destroy stuff? Sheesh.

We as sportsman, and that have kids, have control of that. throw the tv, ipod and xbox out in the burn pit, and get their asses in gear. gosh i hate x boxes.

NO...because i watch the sun come up from the woods....or I watch it come up from the lake

personnally...I don't understand people sleeping in...and then go later.....but thats just me

I dont understand people making others into some kind of unethical bad guy because they dont do the exact same this as the other person. But hey, thats just me.

• Like 2

As the season progresses, I hunt later and seep in. Here is my reasoning, and it works The deer start patterning the hunters and move as they get out of the woods for breakfast or whatever. I go in as they go out and have killed quite a few deer that way. Unethical or not, I find it works. Hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset. It does not mean I have to hunt at sunrise and sunset. I can hunt any time in between.

bubbas rt about that...they are no longer moving at dawn but at 8a.m.....

I go out especially during gun season way way before light any deer I may push off...soon return being pushed by the guys going out just before day break....then I have the neighbor that never goes out before 9am...about that time...the guys that went out early are coming in...I have my heavy winter gear and booties on just waiting...so much pressure here during gun I don't like moving much...

bow season I don't worry much...for I avoid the part of property that gets the most pressure from other bow hunters.

So the guy shot...I have shots going off just at dusk all the time...4 wheelers cruising by...ppl cutting wood the non stop dog barking.... trails mowed.......some times sitting tight during this stuff and not worrying about it can land you a good deer...they tend to circle back in ....

If i knew the guy was shooting a couple of squirrels i wouldnt have called encon. To answer the first reply, how was i suppose to know if he wasnt doing anything illegal or shooting at my deer, and even if he was shooting a squirrel and the officer believed that some of the rounds entered the field which is only about 20 yards from his house, that is a trespass! and is illegal It was my word against his i still think he was shooting at the deer but no proof

If i knew the guy was shooting a couple of squirrels i wouldnt have called encon. To answer the first reply, how was i suppose to know if he wasnt doing anything illegal or shooting at my deer, and even if he was shooting a squirrel and the officer believed that some of the rounds entered the field which is only about 20 yards from his house, that is a trespass! and is illegal It was my word against his i still think he was shooting at the deer but no proof

I like to go shoot the 12 gauge off the back porch a few times when I see the Neighbor from NY city drive onto his land. He doesnt see the humor in it, but it makes me chuckle! :biggrin:

It is not trespassing if your bullet goes past a property line. Sounds like you are making a heck of alot of assumptions.

I dont see why anyone would get up before dawn to shoot a 4 point. :biggrin:

hahah

Also, i never fire a round into someone else property not only because its illegal but also dangerous. Its just a good hunting ethics.

agreed. you also still get in trouble if you do kill/injure someone. Might not be first degree, but still involuntary manslaughter.

Edited by Belo