ugh! - A federal appeals court today upheld New York’s gun licensing law

fyi

http://www.lohud.com/article/20121127/NEWS/311270076/State-appeals-court-upholds-gun-law-not-unduly-restrictive-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

A federal appeals court today upheld New York’s gun licensing law, rejecting claims by five Westchester residents that the law violates their constitutional right to bear arms.

The decision by the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals was hailed by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, whose office defended the state Supreme Court judges who denied the plaintiffs applications for “full-carry, concealed-handgun” permits because they failed to show “proper cause” why they needed the licenses.

The Attorney General said the ruling was a victory “for families across New York who are rightly concerned about the scourge of gun violence that all too often plagues our communities.”

“Every day, my office fights to ensure all New Yorkers are safe and secure in their communities,” Schneiderman said in a statement. “This means ensuring that our state’s gun laws are protected and vigorously enforced.”

The lawsuit was filed in July 2010 by Alan Kachalsky, Christina Nikolov, Johnnie Nance, Anna Marcucci-Nance, Eric Detmer and the Second Amendment Foundation.

U.S. District Judge Cathy Seibel dismissed the lawsuit in September 2011, ruling that there is no constitutional right to carry a concealed handgun in public and that the licensing provision was a legitimate public interest.

In today’s ruling, the three circuit judges unanimously agreed, finding that the “proper cause” requirement was not unduly restrictive.

“New York determined that limiting handgun possession to persons who have an articulable basis for believing they will need the weapon for self-defense is in the best interest of public safety and outweighs the need to have a handgun for an unexpected confrontation,” the judges wrote. “New York did not run afoul of the Second Amendment by doing so.”

Kachalsky, a lawyer from Rye who was the lead plaintiff, could not immediately be reached for comment

NY would rather you get killed by a criminal than defend your life against a criminal and kill him. I all boils down to the government's lack of trust in responsible citizens. They want to control all of us and what we can, and cannot, do.

They really do think guns kill people, rather than believe bad people kill people. They also believe a gun will somehow cause an intelligent, law abiding individual, to become a crazed serial killer, simply by allowing that person to carry a gun.

If you vote for one of these NY legislators, you are saying you agree with them on this issue. If you don't know what an elected official's position on this issue is, find out prior to voting for him.

Guys this not bad what just happened here. This is just another step to get it to the supreme court. So far the sitting supreme court has ruled in gun owners favor. This would just make us one step closer for the law of the land. This is the only way to fix The Peoples Republic of New York.

Over half the people walking through the doors on election day are all for restricted liberty as long as they get something for themselves. They only thing I think Mitt was wrong about on his 47% comment was the number. I fear it is over 50% and that is a death blow when there are more taking than giving....See quote #2 and 3 below...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I've been waiting over 13 months to get my pistol permit in Nassau County. I just want target/hunting permit. Maybe within the next 3 months.

New York law says that you must hear something by 6 Months.... You have a right to request that it be issued now.

Over half the people walking through the doors on election day are all for restricted liberty as long as they get something for themselves. They only thing I think Mitt was wrong about on his 47% comment was the number. I fear it is over 50% and that is a death blow when there are more taking than giving....See quote #2 and 3 below...lol

The problem is that 80 million people eligible to vote in this country do not vote (you can look up the statistics)! How many people om this site do you think do not vote but will readily complain?

• Like 1