head shots

YFKI1983

Read the full article. It's states the train sniper use head shots and night with night vision sights at under 50 yards. The rest of the article talks about hunter using the double lung such in all other conditions. Basically what I get out of it is that it should be double lung and if the conditions are perfect, then head shot.

Read the full article. It's states the train sniper use head shots and night with night vision sights at under 50 yards. The rest of the article talks about hunter using the double lung such in all other conditions. Basically what I get out of it is that it should be double lung and if the conditions are perfect, then head shot.

What I got from it is if you have the confidence, take it. Of course a scope and rifle is assumed.

True. But there's a thin line between confidence and arrogance. And it comes down the individuals conscience. Some people will chalk up 1 wounded deer out of 100 shots as a freak occurrence. Others will see that as 1 too many.

No right or wrong here. Everyone has to be their own judge.

• Like 2

RIBS..over and done..

That is fine in most scenerios.I do it every time I can. BUT there have been times the neck shot was ALL I had.....dead deer end result. I'm talking standing deer, close shot,looking at me or a off to the side etc.,never from a rest and always off hand.Usually a snap shot,bring it up,aquire the hairs on the target and shoot.No I am not a trained sniper,but well pacticed off hand.Military back ground,state police certified with a hand gun, and a private shooting range year around practiced.Do I aim for the neck on every deer I shoot...no.I do my best not to take that shot,but if it is all I am presented,you betcha,that IS the shot that will be taken...and that is high in the neck,not center or low.But never a head shot.

• Like 1

True. But there's a thin line between confidence and arrogance. And it comes down the individuals conscience. Some people will chalk up 1 wounded deer out of 100 shots as a freak occurrence. Others will see that as 1 too many.

No right or wrong here. Everyone has to be their own judge.

What bothers me a lot is that people on here always talks about losing deer and making bad shots and gut shooting deer that makes for a long or impossible recovery. Most of the time, the hunter is aiming for the lungs.

Thus far, I've never heard of anyone aiming at the head and losing an injured deer.

I understand this is a public forum and some guys are not experianced...not comfortable with head shots

and they should not take head shots....thats fine....don't do it

however.... myself and a lot of others hunt fox and coyote on a regular basis....and I almost always have to take a head shot.....especially during deer season when we have to use .22 mag a body shot won't work

I am pretty confident shooting a coyote in the head at 150yards in the pitch dark with a flashlight....a deer at 50yards with a rest i DON'T evan think about it

at night we shoot at glow in the dark tacks....just to practice

so if your not comfortable takeing a shot don't do it......but judge someone for being a better marksman

and spending more time at the range then you

• Like 1

The 2 deer I'v seen in the last 3 years missing jaws where not born that way.

Steve, is it possible for a deer to turn it's head into it's own body? I've seen deer turn their head to where their heart and lung area would be. So is it hard to imagine that IF the missing jaw was from a bullet (not saying it was) that it could very well be from a miss to the lungs instead?

But i understand it's just easier to assume everyone else is a bad marksman and can't shoot a 3" target from 200 yards.

What bothers me a lot is that people on here always talks about losing deer and making bad shots and gut shooting deer that makes for a long or impossible recovery. Most of the time, the hunter is aiming for the lungs.

Thus far, I've never heard of anyone aiming at the head and losing an injured deer.

People who miss an 8 inch target should not be shooting at a 3 inch target. If you ask me to bet my life on hitting a 3 inch target at 200 yards, I would not take that bet because I know one out of several shots, I do pull here and there. If I had to bet my life on hitting a 3 inch target at 50 yards then maybe I would take that bet. But that's because I'm honest with myself. I know some times I'm off. There are some people here who won't admit that which is why you see deer with missing jaws.

The 2 deer I'v seen in the last 3 years missing jaws where not born that way.

I am sure the 2 deer I saw this year with broken legs were not born that way either.As well as the all the the other grazed and wounded deer in the woods.Personally, I am not real keen on the head shot(prefer neck /more chance for hydraulic shock to work its magic).With that said, I would rather see a well placed shot in the head or neck by a well practiced shooter than all the wily nilly shooting done by a good % of the shooters at that "HUGE" kill zone.

When I am talking oh head/neck shots I am thinking 100yds or less. 90% of mine were sub 50 yds

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1