head shots

YFKI1983

Ok lets clarify....Ive done only two headshots on does. Both where standing still and I had a steady rest. That was all they were giving me to shoot at and I am confident in my shots.

One deer was in a pile of trees with here head sticking out, she stood there for better than 10 minutes. The latest was in tall grass, and she layed down and only had her head exposed. Neck shots...never. If not perpect the deer run forever and can breath with a hole in there neck.

My preference is still quartering or broadside taking out the lungs.

i'm not a fan of even neck shots but i'm not against them. i suppose if you miss the neck you miss outright vs missing in the vitals and wounding. However, head shots really aren't cool and honestly they greatly reduce your odds. They teach police to aim for vitals and not the head for a reason. You're playing too many videogames.

• Like 1

Im playing too many video games? If you have a doe and shoot for the head and you move a bit or she does its most likely going to be a clean miss. I didnt say I like to do it because its fun, I said you dont ruin any meat and the odds of wounding the deer are small. And im not saying take a head shot at a moving deer, free hand or even a semi long shot. WNY let me get some of that popcorn lol

• Like 1

Taking advantage of our "Deer Anatomy" thread, I was looking at the last picture on the first page. That is the only one that really shows the location and size of the brain and also clearly shows all the other areas that can be hit if you are just a couple of inches off. I too have seen a deer with it's lower jaw swinging like a piece of hamburger. Not real pretty. Yes it is a lethal shot. Lethal in that it will eventually starve to death over a rather long period of time until (if it's lucky) the coyotes take it down. Meanwhile on that same picture, we see this huge heart-lung absolutely lethal target. To me the choice is rather obvious.

i'm not a fan of even neck shots but i'm not against them. i suppose if you miss the neck you miss outright vs missing in the vitals and wounding. However, head shots really aren't cool and honestly they greatly reduce your odds. They teach police to aim for vitals and not the head for a reason. You're playing too many videogames.

OK

1st. I don't play video games....and I really don't like people that do

2nd don't compare a police officer firearms ...with someone who is a die hard hunter...most police hardly ever shoot there weapon, only to qualify...and most glocks shoot like **** you can't compare to a long gun......

now if you want to talk swat sniper that is a whole different monster

3rd....I I can't tell you how many deer I put down someone shot in the A** or shot in the leg....a bad shot is a bad shot whether you shoot the head or the ribcage

but hell what do I know.....

I hang my deer by the neck, and shoot 50 yards with my bow

• Like 1

Verminator it oks to take head shots when your using a shotgun in "Any Shot size only" locations... (Anyone that doesn't get that its a reference to another thread)

I took a head shot once and luckly hit the deer right between the eyes. I would never do it again and don't recommend. I think its a matter of ethics

Hey Belo, did you hear about the shooting in NYC sometime ago? You know, the one where the cops shot 8 bystanders by accident trying to shoot one gunman? Think they were trained to go for the chest?

The way I see it, cops are by far the best of marksman, by far. Aim small, miss small.