boiling a deer head ,reducing stink

Jeremy K

My husband does taxidermy and used to boil the skulls for his European mounts in our kitchen (and we don't even has an exhaust above the stove)! The windows would fog up with dead deer stink. He's actually outside RIGHT now boiling his newest skulls over a wood fire pit. Saves hours worth of propane and keeps the stink outside!

Yup, screw/nail right through. Then paint the head of the nail/screw with white-out.

If you look closely you can see the stark white color of the screw/nail.

I take two sheet rock screws and drill in from the back of the wood plaque into that back of the antlers so theres no visable screw in the skull plate. I'll post pics later

This brought back two memories..

1. I used to boil coon skulls all the time, I'd take them out when meat was soft then pick them clean, bleach and put them on a "SKULL BOARD"...My daughter used to come down and watch as I made with what we called "coon head soup" ( we didn't eat it)..I just turned the vent fan on, but I actually didn't mind the smell (smell of success).... I don't think that my wife was happy about it, but she always put up with my nonsense so she never complained..

2. The first buck I ever shot I skinned the head to learn taxidermy and we carved meat off the face and neck in small pieces , put it in a metal bowl and boiled it, on what I remember as an alcohol burner, in water with orange juice.,salt and pepper and ate it on bread while I worked on the head..It smelled heavenly !!

Biz, why did the small buck get mounted? Someone's first?

It was my Dad's first ever buck. He shot it in the 1960's.

His two smallest mounted bucks are on that wall with the skull plates.The other one is a 6 pt. He shot the 6 pointer on December 6th and on my brother's 6th birthday in 1993.