DEER HUNTERS LOSING HUNTING RIGHTS THEIR PROPERTY

HectorBuckBuster

Deer over population may be in the suburbs but I hear no one discussing that as fact for rural.

Solution - Bowhunting in suburbs.

Another aspect is that insurance companies have succeeded through lobbying efforts and influencing those in elected office.

Too much leniency is given to a trespasser via insurance/regulation. Landowners do not want to have a lawsuit cloud having over them, so land is posted out.

QDMA is not much of an answer. The answer is getting involved in the political process. However, the overwhelming majority of Americans believe in government for the people and by the people. It's just they want others to DO by the people for them.

It's the people fault, they are to blame. Instead of TV, start getting involved with groups that are taking on the system non-violently.

• Like 1

QDMA is not much of an answer. The answer is getting involved in the political process. However, the overwhelming majority of Americans believe in government for the people and by the people. It's just they want others to DO by the people for them.

It's the people fault, they are to blame. Instead of TV, start getting involved with groups that are taking on the system non-violently.

So wait, which is it? A group that advocates for hunters rights, and traditions is not an answer, and you shouldnt bother getting involved. Or, that you should get involved in such an organization?

Sounds like you dont know much about what the QDMA is or what they stand for.

• Like 1

.Now I've gotten some sleep...but those ##'s don't add up...if you have 18acres....You can still legally hunt that that property....... from the center of said property to the house on either side would be 985 ft according to the #'s given....985-500=485ft ...now according to the law one could legally stand at the 484 ft mark and still shoot a weapon at an animal on the property right out to their property line...500' line is a discharge line...not where the animal is standing at discharge...but where you are standing

Am I reading this wrong? if so please correct me...

The law requires that a hunter cannot shoot within 500 feet of a dwelling. A 500 foot radius around one dwelling eliminates 18 acres of huntable land. To make this point more clear: if you own a piece of property that is 885 feet by 885 feet, which is 18 acres, and a house is built on both sides of your property line 385 feet off the road and 100 feet from your property line, you have lost the legal right to hunt your property.

I was complaining and protesting loudly about this very subject, twenty years ago. For several years I was a representative from our Rod and Gun club, and then an officer to our county level sportsmen's organization. My major complaint at the time was the fragmentation of the farms that was occurring as several land buyers were swooping in and purchasing as many of the large farm parcels they could from the aging owners who fell behind in their taxes, as cheaply as possible, far below the lands actual value, and at times only for owed back taxes.

The practice at the time seemed to be, buy big parcels cheap, clean them of any and all marketable timber if the farmer had not already been forced to do so to pay taxes, chunk the land up in parcels, and then sell them to others as a place to build and live, or to have as hunting land. I expressed the very concerns mentioned in the article about the difficulty to manage deer and other wildlife populations, the potential restrictions that could be imposed on hunting, the likely hard feelings between neighbors, and a list of other reasons to watch the trend of chunking up and selling off farmland. Very few seemed to share my concern then, and to be honest I finally just tired of "wizzing in the wind", and with all that goes on in ones life, I tired of grumbling and instead devoted my time and efforts to things like my job and raising my family.

Funny how things go full circle though and this is an important consideration and the right time. As this very moment our town is working on their new comprehensive plan and I will bring this up at tonights meeting. Thank you for bringing this up at this time and making it fresh in my mind.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

.Now I've gotten some sleep...but those ##'s don't add up...if you have 18acres....You can still legally hunt that that property....... from the center of said property to the house on either side would be 985 ft according to the #'s given....985-500=485ft ...now according to the law one could legally stand at the 484 ft mark and still shoot a weapon at an animal on the property right out to their property line...500' line is a discharge line...not where the animal is standing at discharge...but where you are standing

Am I reading this wrong? if so please correct me...

If your property is 885 feet wide, theres only 442.5 feet from the mid point to the edge of the line. Say your house is 50 feet wide, then you have 417.5 feet on either side of your house to your property line. If someone builds a house 100 feet off of either side of your property line, that means their house is 517.5 feet from the edge of your house, so you could shoot only from 17.5 feet away from your house. Effectively it removes your right to hunt your property.

somehow the antis are behind all of this.. and as a young hunter it really ticks me off that this is happening, just since i started hunting i have seen land get destroyed and for what.. senior housing and condo developments(mostly) im sure the older guys here have seen even more then me, but whats going to happen in 20 years, zero hunting at all. it wouldnt surprise me. i WILL fight for my right to hunt whether i have to attend meetings or stand in the woods with picket signs because this is just ridiculous now.. sorry for the rant but i am really frustrated about this

See WNYBH...STILL...not enough sleep lol...

Then again if you take in to consideration angles unless homes were built on all 3 sides you still have the back side of the property...

That rule is a double sided sword...if your new neighbors hunt and bought a mere say 5 acres...which is the norm and you as a QDM place have all those pretty yellow signs up letting everyone know you let the little ones walk and have great habitat....the guy that bought 5acres next to you ....thinking to put a stand up along your property line...to take advantage of your place...well he can't

• Like 1

im sure the older guys here have seen even more then me, but whats going to happen in 20 years, zero hunting at all. it wouldnt surprise me.

Yep We all have and coming from a hunting family...wanting to raise a hunting family made sure we worked hard...and sacrificed to have $$ to buy hunting property...and all the ppl around us have done the same...we went to our farmer neighbors and put in requests for first option to buy...letting them know we care about having lands not go to development....we went to the out of state owners...letting them know the same thing...then saved waited and was a good neighbor....our other neighbors did the same...we even have made agreements with one two place down...if the place between us comes up we'll look to purchase together and then split it

The new ppl behind us...thankfully bought and old hunting camp next to them...they now own a huge block that won't be developed....

So we all saw the writing on the wall and we did something about it....other than whine and expect others to give up the freedom of using the property they worked hard for 7 days a week 3 of the nicest months of the year for fear of being shot or the kids/grand kids shot

This sounds so DEMOCRATIC in nature to me it's laughable

I hear ya. I think Im starting to burn out. Only a couple of weeks left until I can start sleeping in on the weekends again.

Ya been so long now ..I haven a minor case of insomnia I say minor for I am getting at least 2hrs before waking and then trying again....major use to be..... 3 days at a time then crashing...those were always fun with little kids and a job

That is/was the main reason the proposal to decrease the minimum distance to 100' for bow was tried last year. It was defeated. The large lot sizes in some suburbs need this to control populations. Instead they use more of our tax dollars to hire sharpshooters to bait and shoot in populated areas, rather than gain revenue from bow hunters who would purchase licenses and perhaps buck tags in an earn a buck situation.....

• Like 1

That is/was the main reason the proposal to decrease the minimum distance to 100' for bow was tried last year. It was defeated. The large lot sizes in some suburbs need this to control populations. Instead they use more of our tax dollars to hire sharpshooters to bait and shoot in populated areas, rather than gain revenue from bow hunters who would purchase licenses and perhaps buck tags in an earn a buck situation.....

why did it fail and who was the ones voting on it?

I wasnt aware that it went up for any vote. I know it was included in the 5 year management plan, but didnt know that aspect had gone through any of the process yet.

i wasnt aware either until after it failed.. i wish it would pass then i can hunt on my land and not on a warzone

So wait, which is it? A group that advocates for hunters rights, and traditions is not an answer, and you shouldnt bother getting involved. Or, that you should get involved in such an organization?

Sounds like you dont know much about what the QDMA is or what they stand for.

I didn't say not to get involved. Unions are the way to go when something is amiss.

The NRA has lost its way. GOA is better there.

Elected officials make the laws. The populace needs to have the courage to get involved in the political process. There is no middle man here.

the problem these days are people want want want but will never do for themselves to succeed in what they want. they rely to much on the government and organizations to get it done. and we all know 95 percent of the people in those organizations and gov officials dont give 2 s##ts about anything but making themselves look good. bottom line, if you dont stand up for your land or your rights soon enough you wont have any.. and when i said YOU i didnt mean anyone here in particular becuse im sure a majority of us on here feel the same way

I didn't say not to get involved. Unions are the way to go when something is amiss.

The NRA has lost its way. GOA is better there.

Elected officials make the laws. The populace needs to have the courage to get involved in the political process. There is no middle man here.

You said that the QDMA is of little or no help. Please, extrapolate as to why you said that. I dont see the GOA doing anything for hunter rights, maybe you can fill me in here?

I agree that people need to get involved, and a very good way to become involved is to be active in advocacy groups.

The price per acre of land, down here, on average, is $150,000. In Livingston County, it averages anywhere from $2000-$3000 per acre. That's a HUGE difference.

Thats all fine and well...but lets look back...your club was what 100yrs old?....depending on your age or families if they hunt...how many years have you been where you are? and what was the price of land there say 30-40 years ago?

Price still irrelevant to what I'm pointing out....sons 5acres and 3000 +sqft 2 bath 4 bedroom two garage and a pond house...on market for 69,900...bought for 36,000....our recent 24 1/2 acre piece bought for 10,000....it just takes work and planning ...the neighbor just bought 80,000 house for 35,000.......one needs to work, plan and look farther than tomorrow to get things they want...

You said that the QDMA is of little or no help. Please, extrapolate as to why you said that. I dont see the GOA doing anything for hunter rights, maybe you can fill me in here?

I agree that people need to get involved, and a very good way to become involved is to be active in advocacy groups.

Getting involved in advocacy groups is good. Look at it as a starting point.

QDMA will lobby. And that is good. But we are up against a populace that, unfortunately, has the odds over us. We need more than QDMA, NRA, and GOA.

Writing personal letters (a single canned one, [write one, copy the rest], and send them to your elected officials. The more in your district the better. State Assembly and Senate; and also the Federal reps in our districts.

The establishment system is setup for two players, they make the rules;, the Democrats and Republicans. The Repulicans tend to have more folks who are 2nd Amendment knowledgable but there are plenty of Democrats too. I try to attend Democrat functions. There I, talk, to people and anybody I can who are in the system.

I just attended a visit by Congresswoman Kathy Hockul and asked her a question so others could here. And then formed rapports with people in attendance.

I also go to some politcal party meetings, and put them on the spot.

There just are not enough folks letting them know that the people;s voice is not being heard. There are about 10 states where they have had to react to our presence and that is good.

So, we personally need to get involved. Advocacy groups is only part of it.

Just trying to ad some info on what I have been experiencing since I got involved five years ago.

However, the overwhelming majority of Americans believe in government for the people and by the people. It's just they want others to DO by the people for them.

51 to 49 is not really overwhelming.

Unions are the way to go when something is amiss.

:gamer: just got real political up in here

Edited by Belo