Has the idea been approached

Grizz1219

To Hell with "sunrise to sunset" or "1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset". They're too vague as "sunrise" & "sunset" are subjective. What's wrong with "it's illegal to take game with the aid of artificial light"?

If it's too dark in the woods, don't take the shot. At the very same moment, the moon may be shining bright and make it perfectly safe to take a shot in an open field.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

The simple truth is more people get hurt and killed falling out of tree stands every year than are shot. Why so much emphasis on shootings? I am safer on the ground in my green and black wool, than you are in your tree stand wearing orange statistically. Maybe we should either make harnesses mandatory or outlaw tree stands. Less people will get hurt every year. The percentage of an incident happening is immaterial. The less chance during bow season does not negate the need for orange. Any chance is too much of a chance. Why are you guys so against it during archery purely from a safety point of view?

I was out this am . Sunrise was at 7:35 . I heard 3 quick shots at 6:50 .

The 1/2 hour before sunrise would have been 7:05 and the shots were 15 minutes before that . The shots came from toward the village and had to be a shotgun or someone was able to reload and shoot super fast .

here is a question...... why is it not mandatory in the northern zone?(with acception of youth hunters) i am a northern zone guy, and i wear it it in certain spots/situations, but not all the time. I would be supportive of it being mandatory. Im nt trying to start a debate, i just want to know why. Help me out here bubba.

To Hell with "sunrise to sunset" or "1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset". They're too vague as "sunrise" & "sunset" are subjective. What's wrong with "it's illegal to take game with the aid of artificial light"?

If it's too dark in the woods, don't take the shot. At the very same moment, the moon may be shining bright and make it perfectly safe to take a shot in an open field.

Nothing subjective about them. Do a google search for sunrise and sunset times for your area.

The simple truth is more people get hurt and killed falling out of tree stands every year than are shot. Why so much emphasis on shootings? I am safer on the ground in my green and black wool, than you are in your tree stand wearing orange statistically. Maybe we should either make harnesses mandatory or outlaw tree stands. Less people will get hurt every year. The percentage of an incident happening is immaterial. The less chance during bow season does not negate the need for orange. Any chance is too much of a chance. Why are you guys so against it during archery purely from a safety point of view?

Im not necessarily against it in bow season, just do not see the need or even the logic behind it. The logic behind it being used in a gun season is because gun hunting is a longer range affair and its tougher to see some guy in full camo standing behind the deer 100+ yards away than a guy with blaze on. At 20 to 40 yards, its not hard to see someone even in full camo.

In a perfect world people would all learn to know their target and beyond, and they would all use common sense before taking the shot, but this world is far from perfect, and other than my disdain from laws put in place to save us from ourselves, I have no objection to mandatory blaze orange.

Oh-oh .... It sounds like somebody is not aware that there are defined times for sunrise and sunset. Those are not terms that are based on the sun vs. the horizon ... lol. There are actual meteorological times laid out in charts that define those times for every day. Very precise times....not vague.

here is a question...... why is it not mandatory in the northern zone?(with acception of youth hunters) i am a northern zone guy, and i wear it it in certain spots/situations, but not all the time. I would be supportive of it being mandatory. Im nt trying to start a debate, i just want to know why. Help me out here bubba.

It isn't mandatory in the southern zone either. See tug the difference is most guys form the sz have no clue about what the differences in hunting the nz and sz are. You do not hear the stories on here about guys shooting 5 times at a deer and not tracking it and finding dead deer all over the place. They just know what we need in the nz because they need it in the sz. We are backwards hillbillies who do not know what we need for ourselves. They are much smarter city people who know it all. Kind of like the govt works. They know what we need more than we do. And most of them that are trying to impose their will, I am betting adhere to the now govt's policies too. Yup I said it.

• Like 2

Oh-oh .... It sounds like somebody is not aware that there are defined times for sunrise and sunset. Those are not terms that are based on the sun vs. the horizon ... lol. There are actual meteorological times laid out in charts that define those times for every day. Very precise times....not vague.

I heard about 60 % oh ohs, this gun season. Shots well before sunrise, and well after sunset. Light conditions were pretty low, but maybe they were closer to the sun.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I heard about 60 % oh ohs, this gun season. Shots well before sunrise, and well after sunset. Light conditions were pretty low, but maybe they were closer to the sun.

I wonder if that is the cause of so many early shots. Maybe people don't realize that sunrise and sunset are actual, real, defined, times. Maybe they think that as soon as they can see anything, it must be sunrise .... lol.

Their is no doubt, I would have tagged out this year. I passed on so many deer, just because it was a few minutes before or after surise-sunset. Sitting there, hearing all these shots going off, have to think who's the dumb one? But I can live with myself. Those people, breaking the law, well most don't even care.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Their is no doubt, I would have tagged out this year. I passed on so many deer, just because it was a few minutes before or after surise-sunset. Sitting there, hearing all these shots going off, have to think who's the dumb one?

Is it dumb to abide by the law? How important is that deer to you? I think the dumb ones are the ones who have never learned any respect for the law. Frankly, I have nothing but contempt for the people touching off those early shots. I have great respect for those that don't feel that something is only illegal if you are likely to get caught. You made the right choices.

• Like 1

Sunrise for the local area is listed in the newspaper . I go on the Accu Weather site to look up the hourly forecast . Sunrise / Sunset is listed there also .

If you look on page 80 of the Rules & Regs , there is a chart . It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out .

Accuweather.com lists my sunrise this morning at 7:29. The chart in the regs says I have to wait til 7:31am. Either way, it was light WAY earlier that that this morning. I could clearly see deer grazing in my neighbors bean fields over 500 yards away at 6:50am from my stand. Would I have gotten in trouble for shooting a deer at 7:30 or 7:25? I'll abide by this law as long as it's in effect, but that doesn't mean it's not a stupid law that needs to be changed.

I'll abide by this law as long as it's in effect, but that doesn't mean it's not a stupid law that needs to be changed.

Sure anyone has the right to disagree with the starting and ending times of the hunting day (of course they're wrong .... lol), but it is the law, and I respect people who may not agree but still respect the law enough to abide by it. After all laws are not just suggestions, or at least they are not supposed to be treated like mere suggestions. I said it earlier, anyone who thinks strongly that that law should be modified should certainly try to get it changed. We do have procedures for that.

Which is why the law should read "use of artificial light is prohibited" allowing those of us who can still safely take a shot to do so

So , now you want to also take an unfair advantage of those who hunt in the woods ?

Leave well enough alone and hunt by daylight hours .