New York is one of 5 States to extend school hours and days

Deerthug

I've always put in extra time. This year takes the cake for sure. Know why? I was promoted a year ago after they got rid of the fat. Now I'm doing twice the work we did before with half the people. No college. We took the brains out of the fabrication shop by implementing automation wherever possible. Guess who's behind the controls?

I went to trade school for something completely different than what I do now. Today I explained to the president of a manufacturer what he needs to change in his system in order to make it better.

I think the "I'm worth more because I have a degree" crowd needs to get over themselves. Wipe your ass with your degree and stop acting like the world owes you something just because you're pissed people like me are making it. Bunch of haters. Oh and keep your shiny shoes and suits because nobody's buying it if you still don't know what you're talking about. The real doers with degrees don't ever need to mention it.

Let's not cherry pick and assume that those with higher ed whom are successful represent all who have received higher ed. Its due to the individual being smart, driven, and overall more extraordinary than the rest of the flock. Same goes for tradesmen. Who would you rather hire, a candidate who studied how to for 4-8 years or a candidate who just did it for 4-8 years. (Pick a profession)

"I speak intelligently and sound smart" vs. " I know what I'm doing and can walk the walk"

Wasn't it this forum I was on not to long ago...... with some of you same guys saying they need to get archery into the school system for kids could get involved in hunting? Hhhmmmmm

Not for nothing the NASP or National Archery in Schools Program is run on donations and does not get money from schools.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/education/81939.html

Not for nothing the NASP or National Archery in Schools Program is run on donations and does not get money from schools.

Volunteers to train the school staff...Thanks to the unions all the coaches get paid through the school district...even with donated equipment who do you think pays for the space?....lights...heat...insurance....ect.... and in the same facilities some of you were complaining about the schools putting in...then we could get into the fact some of you said more academic time is what the kids need not recreational....Wasn't it said let the kids go to private groups for their sports?...Who's willing to pay the insurance and if not insured....take that risk?....actually our town is lucky that there is a league...but that may...not sure...... be connected to the gun club

to answer that Bubba.....

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

By going to board meetings and contacting your state reps and implementing plans to make TEACHERS accountable....

Like they have finally started doing in the Rochester school system....I won't believe that ppl are still think that the unions hold the ridiculous power they had years ago...The being afraid of unions era is waning

Volunteers to train the school staff...Thanks to the unions all the coaches get paid through the school district...even with donated equipment who do you think pays for the space?....lights...heat...insurance....ect.... and in the same facilities some of you were complaining about the schools putting in...then we could get into the fact some of you said more academic time is what the kids need not recreational....Wasn't it said let the kids go to private groups for their sports?...Who's willing to pay the insurance and if not insured....take that risk?....actually our town is lucky that there is a league...but that may...not sure...... be connected to the gun club

Clearly you don't know or understand how the program works.

First let me say...I am not against this or any sports program...that said...perhaps you need to go back and read your own link...it really is very clear...here's an excerpt...

Still tax dollars in school districts at work here...and do you think the person in charge of coordinating this for the DEC isn't getting paid as a NYS worker?

]DEC is looking for volunteers to assist in training physical education teachers[/b] for NASP. If anyone is interested in volunteering or knows of aDEC is looking for volunteers to assist in training physical education teachers for NASP. If anyone is interested in volunteering or knows of a school that would like to join the program, please contact Melissa Bailey, the state program coordinator , please contact Melissa Bailey, the state program coordinator

Bubba this will be the last attempt with you for it becomes a pointless endeavor ...and no...I married into a family of teachers 3 generations of them...and a daughter that works in higher education...dealing with the after math of our school systems..This is your quote

ok so the answer is going to the school board not new teachers? Why could you not go to the school board wad do the same with the current teachers? Sounds to me like you have someone you know looking for a teacher job.

This was my quote ...several posts ago.....

By going to board meetings and contacting your state reps and implementing plans to make TEACHERS accountable....

Like they have finally started doing in the Rochester school system.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "EXTRA CURICULAR SPORTS" AND IMPLEMENTING A NEW THING DURING AN EXISTING SCHEDULED TIME FRAME THAT IS BROUGHT ABOUT THROUGH DONATIONS. VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS = FREE ALL THIS DOES IS CHANGE WHAT IS TAUGHT IN GYM CLASS!!!

I hope that by putting it in all caps maybe you will understand.

It would if I were the one that needed the understanding...but....any time a coach is needed for things like tournaments.....which you would really need to point to where those were taking place DURING REGULAR PHYS. ED. CLASS TIME.... Union contracts ask for them to be payed....

Now lets look back in these posts where ppl were complaining about even having any kind of phy. ed in schools...ps first is your own quote...

perhaps we should worry less about sports and more about education. I'm all for more schooling,
Between gym classes in school and after school sports programs, students devote way too much time to sports.
For most of these students it would have been way better if the actually concentrated on learning something instead of wasting time on sports. By the way, if youngsters are interested in sports, there are other avenues where they could get involved with it. Like private organizations. Why should tax dollars be spent on sports, when we are told that it is supposed to go for education? Cut out the sports and there will be MORE left for actual education.

Enough with the sports crap! WTF, there are so many damn sports in schools today, its ridiculous. School is supposed to be there to EDUCATE, not train someone to be a pro athlete, which is one of the least likely careers to get into anyhow.
Because what is "well rounded" in our eyes is NOT up to par with other educational standards. In other countries you go to school to LEARN, and not to BS with football, wrestling, or any other sport. More time in school actually LEARNING just might produce smarter students?
Edited by growalot

Not that our school system is anything unique, but we have what they call "the late bus" which is an additional bus route (after the regular afternoon trip) that is primarily for all the after school activities (sports, etc). Imagine what that has to cost in additional bus driver wages and fuel. That's just crazy and un-necessary. I went to the same school years ago, and we had after school activities too, and it was up to parents to take care of transportation.

I can't force you to go back and read these post..or even some of the quotes from those....

One can...... but perhaps should rethink...... cherry picking what an over all student body and parents should be interested in...can't have it both ways....Cheering on Archery....with the intent to produce future hunters...then chastising involvement with football... cheer leading ... baseball...basketball...soccer ect ect....... with hopes of producing college students through scholarships ....Or at the very least.giving some students the added incentive to even stay in school...on your dime.....There is a word for that you know...starts with....an H

Yep ...basically if you have a kid in high school that can barely write.....get some NEW TEACHERS that can teach at least the basics....Stop the practice of sliding kids through the system just to keep your #'s up

OK maybe you were not in the best state of mind when you typed this one. I read NEW TEACHERS. I ask how that will make it better you answer going to board meetings and making teachers accountable. Still a big disconnect there. Which is the solution you propose. I know you have tried to side step it by inferring I am thick headed, but I am simply trying to sort out what you have said is all.

Bubba it's a combination that needs to be done....wish you could see our local news where they came out with the #'s on Rochester school districts delinquency......Just last night....They might as well stop trying...being sarcastic here....85% of the student body doesn't graduate on time????...Yes the delinquency sits in the parents lap...but something is terribly wrong in the schools as well that we can't convince these kids to even try

I've seen the verbal and professional beat down that older burnt out teachers give kids...so yes new teachers and making teachers already there be accountable....Believe me I've had this conversation with the various teaching in laws over the years as well....consensus...they are totally in the right and EVERY THING is the parents fault...which is what I saw in the two different school districts I worked in....which is not what I was seeing and definately listening to in the teachers lounges or the parties

what is wrong in the schools is the liberal agenda being passed on. No sense in going the govt will take care of you anyway. How much emphasis is there on learning when they are there, very little. All higher education did for my daughters was turn them into flaming libs. The newest thing being taught to kindergarten kids is the story of Robin hood robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. They are indoctrinating them early now. New teachers are not going to change the agenda or curriculum they have to teach. A co worker said her sons kindergarten class spent a week talking about Robin hood. Before the election they were taught BHO was a good guy because he played basketball and Mitt ate tree bark. And you wonder why the schools have gone to hell. The school board can not change the curriculum for the state. Home school is the answer.

Can't deny the home schooling point...nor the liberal one either...that gets our daughter in the dog house at work occasionally....and on our hill alone there are 4 families that home schooled their kids...and now grand kids...met them all in softball and cub scouts...All went on to own businesses and continued degrees at good universities

I can't force you to go back and read these post..or even some of the quotes from those....

One can...... but perhaps should rethink...... cherry picking what an over all student body and parents should be interested in...can't have it both ways....Cheering on Archery....with the intent to produce future hunters...then chastising involvement with football... cheer leading ... baseball...basketball...soccer ect ect....... with hopes of producing college students through scholarships ....Or at the very least.giving some students the added incentive to even stay in school...on your dime.....There is a word for that you know...starts with....an H

Adding archery into the gym or phys ed class through a volunteer/free program has nowhere near the same or similar cost as do the after school/extra curricular sports teams/programs. Many problems lie with the fact that we are putting too much emphasis on raising the next college or pro sports player rather than properly educating our kids.

• Like 1