New York is one of 5 States to extend school hours and days

Deerthug

Doe I disagree about cutting sports completely. Should they put more emphasis on education over sports? Without a doubt YES! But the students do need an avenue to relieve some anxiety, tension, and stress over the amount of school work they get. And yes I've seen it first hand with my daughter how her taking Advanced Placement courses in 10th grade puts a lot of stress and anxiety on her. When she runs for 1 1/2 hours after school with her Cross Country team and now winter track team how much more relaxed and focused she gets when she sits down and does her work.

That's exactly the tune the schools sing in support of sports. I don't buy it though. Yes, some students can benefit from sports, where it can help them with their academics, but those students are actually in the minority. The majority of those who get wrapped up in sports have these dreams of making it to the pros and such, and a very, very few actually ever get there. For most of these students it would have been way better if the actually concentrated on learning something instead of wasting time on sports. By the way, if youngsters are interested in sports, there are other avenues where they could get involved with it. Like private organizations. Why should tax dollars be spent on sports, when we are told that it is supposed to go for education? Cut out the sports and there will be MORE left for actual education.

• Like 1

The majority of those who get wrapped up in sports have these dreams of making it to the pros and such, and a very, very few actually ever get there.

And on Long Island it's primarily football and lacrosse - where they hope they can get into college on scholarships but they don't know how to read. Truly sad . . .

• Like 1

Steve ........you are just plain way off base with this...period!....Not one person I was in school sports with dreamed of the professional arena....Both my kids that where in track...wrestling baseball...ski team....dreamed of being professionals....

college...was another story...and My daughter who is working in high Ed...can tell you ...when looking at admissions....sports are part of it...not for the college...but to show a well rounded involved/evolved person that can BALANCE academics with a variety other skill sets

In my area I found it upseting that the budget for the multi million dollar astro turf field was approved so easily yet they have no air conditioning and it gets hotter then hell in school late in the year, perhaps we should worry less about sports and more about education. I'm all for more schooling, obviously a lot of kids need it.

I agree whole heartedly. Enough with the sports crap! WTF, there are so many damn sports in schools today, its ridiculous. School is supposed to be there to EDUCATE, not train someone to be a pro athlete, which is one of the least likely careers to get into anyhow.

Astro turf, what a crock of you know what. They just put that in a year or two ago in our district. A study was done and showed that it would actually cost MORE to maintain it than the grass field. They wasted MILLIONS of dollars putting it in, then there was a problem with a water line, so they had to remove it, fix the line and reinstall it again, costing christ knows how much. The people in our district voted it through with no issues, but then complain that taxes are outrageous, and they have to lay off teachers! Then the school buys more land for more athletic fields, installs a multi million dollar strip of grass in the parking lot (Im not exaggerating) and says things like "hey, it was a state grant, we had to use the money" while the teachers are paying for supplies out of their own paychecks!Holy crap, Im gonna have an aneurism just thinking of this freaking madness!!!!!!!!!!!! We are DOOMED!

• Like 1

Steve ........you are just plain way off base with this...period!....Not one person I was in school sports with dreamed of the professional arena....Both my kids that where in track...wrestling baseball...ski team....dreamed of being professionals....

college...was another story...and My daughter who is working in high Ed...can tell you ...when looking at admissions....sports are part of it...not for the college...but to show a well rounded involved/evolved person that can BALANCE academics with a variety other skill sets

And that's exactly why we are behind other nations in the academics department. Because what is "well rounded" in our eyes is NOT up to par with other educational standards. In other countries you go to school to LEARN, and not to BS with football, wrestling, or any other sport. More time in school actually LEARNING just might produce smarter students?

• Like 1

I agree whole heartedly. Enough with the sports crap! WTF, there are so many damn sports in schools today, its ridiculous. School is supposed to be there to EDUCATE, not train someone to be a pro athlete, which is one of the least likely careers to get into anyhow.

Astro turf, what a crock of you know what. They just put that in a year or two ago in our district. A study was done and showed that it would actually cost MORE to maintain it than the grass field. They wasted MILLIONS of dollars putting it in, then there was a problem with a water line, so they had to remove it, fix the line and reinstall it again, costing christ knows how much. The people in our district voted it through with no issues, but then complain that taxes are outrageous, and they have to lay off teachers! Then the school buys more land for more athletic fields, installs a multi million dollar strip of grass in the parking lot (Im not exaggerating) and says things like "hey, it was a state grant, we had to use the money" while the teachers are paying for supplies out of their own paychecks!Holy crap, Im gonna have an aneurism just thinking of this freaking madness!!!!!!!!!!!! We are DOOMED!

Try getting help for a child with special needs in that same district and watch how much you need to go through to even get an acknowledgement that there "might" be a need. We had to threaten lawyers to even get some one to listen to us and call every week. Absolutley insane. But we have a nice costly field and a sweet sign out side the school that looks like it cost a few thousand.

And the reason its so hard to get help is that it cost's money, I bet I could get a new jersey for football in a heart beat.

Not one time in my time being a manager anywhere I have I asked, "Play any sports in school" when interveiwing some one.

Maybe its time for kids to learn how to BALANCE more school work and life.

Funny you mentioned that. When I applied for my first job in the legal department of a major insurance company 20+ years ago right out of law school, during my interview I started spewing off my achievements, deans list, honor roll, mock trial team etc., The interviewer looked at me and said "I don't care about that, I hired someone last week because they played lacrosse at St John's". Thankfully his next words to me were - "When can you start?"

I still remember that comment like it was yesterday.

Then get teachers in there that want to teach!! ...Not to get by doing the minimum required...cherry picking the students they feel deserve the attention and thinking ten year is a free pass....Make it mandatory that even after the masters they need..... they have to up grade their own knowledge base every so many years...

PS..... want more time in school tell the unions to stuff it and get rid of all these foolish "Holidays"...every body has a freaking "Day"

What I'll say is even though I was in an accelerated classes starting in 7th through graduation ...had it not been for sports...I would have likely dropped out....

When are the US ppl going to start realizing that we can't compare the US educational achievements to the Asian or even Europeans....They are different societies!! Unless they think that our society can do a complete flip over night this band-aid they are trying...is going to fail miserably, for those that need help the most.... Putting those that are hanging in and trying at risk....

If Rochester thinks they had a large drop out rate before....hang on to your nickers...because there's going to be a lot of 16 yr olds wondering the streets....Where will they find the $$$ for the extra cops that will be needed?

clearly.... you was in an.... accelerated classes. LOL

extending time at school is NOT the answer, hell more progress would be made if they got kids off of facebook and twitter.

Personally from my own experience in high school, we need to have more well rounded teachers that dont think going to college is the only answer to a successful career/lifestyle and stop trying to pump out Albert Einsteins and adding to our nations debt with kids going off to college with out a CLUE what they want to do and racking up tens of thousands of dollars in loans and debt.

My high school completely neglected anyone who attended BOCES, we were treated different, not by students, but by the STAFF as if we were brain dead morons and doomed to be the rot in society once we graduated. Our technology dept was basically cut off from the school literally and figuratively and paid no attention to. Funny how technology is the facet of our everyday lives.

Today in this economy, the "trades" is where your going to find work, good paying jobs and is whats going to help us out of this rut more than sending every kid off to college and into debt. Schools need to change their way of thinking and embrace the teachings that will allow some of its students a good career and a steady job and not these pipe dreams of "go to college get a degree". Ya, well I have my degree, I have $80,000 of students loans and cant find a job that doesnt require 5yrs experience or more degrees, while my buddy over here is making $120,000 a year straight out of high school working in the TRADES and can find work anywhere in the country even the world.

clearly.... you was in an.... accelerated classes. LOL

extending time at school is NOT the answer, hell more progress would be made if they got kids off of facebook and twitter.

Personally from my own experience in high school, we need to have more well rounded teachers that dont think going to college is the only answer to a successful career/lifestyle and stop trying to pump out Albert Einsteins and adding to our nations debt with kids going off to college with out a CLUE what they want to do and racking up tens of thousands of dollars in loans and debt.

My high school completely neglected anyone who attended BOCES, we were treated different, not by students, but by the STAFF as if we were brain dead morons and doomed to be the rot in society once we graduated. Our technology dept was basically cut off from the school literally and figuratively and paid no attention to. Funny how technology is the facet of our everyday lives.

Today in this economy, the "trades" is where your going to find work, good paying jobs and is whats going to help us out of this rut more than sending every kid off to college and into debt. Schools need to change their way of thinking and embrace the teachings that will allow some of its students a good career and a steady job and not these pipe dreams of "go to college get a degree". Ya, well I have my degree, I have $80,000 of students loans and cant find a job that doesnt require 5yrs experience or more degrees, while my buddy over here is making $120,000 a year straight out of high school working in the TRADES and can find work anywhere in the country even the world.

Same here with the whole boces thing. I took welding and advanced weding my junior and sophmore year. Graduated high school and got into ironworkers local 60. Now im project manager for a drilling company. go figure. No college here, i would have never made it thru the first year anyways.
  • Like 1

The evolvment of our country's education system is symptomatic of how we handle all our issues...talk til people are blue or red in the face and repeat the same mistake in a different fashion with more money, less taxes, less money, more taxes...etc.

I have an undergraduate degree in education. I thought that helping kids grow as a teach would be a noble career, even if it didn't pay all that well (save for retirement system and benefits). When student teaching at one of the better districts, the teacher I was learning under was in his 14th year making $43k a year and had to pave driveways or paint houses in the summer to make ends meet. Great teacher, too. That's stupid...the guy has a graduate degree and 14 years into a career and makes that little change. I promptly graduated and went into the business field as a result and made more than he did in my first year out of college. So what's the answer? The whole educational system needs to be torn down and rebuilt...band aids don't work.

I also think that students are NOT getting the level of hands-on experience they need to compete in the current global economy.

I work with two visa holders from China who perform risk analytics for a major company in NY. I also work with two Americans who do the same job - one of them...parents were both professors. The other...a country boy like me who simply chose to work hard and take initiative to gain the experience. Experiential learning and initiative was really the only common trait amongst all people in my microcosm. You can't change whether someone is intrinsic or extrinsic as far as motivation goes...but you can influence the education system to impart experiential learning.

I get to see the value of an MBA in my role, and let me tell you, there's a big difference. Tier 1 MBAs can do. Lesser MBAs have zero clue. Those Tier 1 MBA are super agressive in study AND practice. No so for lesser MBA programs. The same can be applied to all technical roles and even trade skills.

• Like 1

im homeschooled so this wont affect me but when im done w my work by 2 in the afternoon and im workin on my gun or playin hockey on the pond or chasing cows and i see the school busses goin by at 4:30 or 5 i just shake my head and say "them poor kids" i sure would hate to have i extended if i was them...

It may be your choice to play or not, but the out of control spending on the sports and the related events and facilities goes on either way. The spending on sports takes away from the spending on the real education/teachers/supplies, etc etc etc. It needs to be curtailed.

It might be but the majority of budgets keep on passing, the people have spoken.