Pure Rediculousness

WhitetailAddict11

Take your highly unwelcome response somewhere else. It's not hunting, plain and simple. Sitting in a log cabin shooting house, in reclining roller chairs, in your plain clothes, with several bucks over 190" out in front of you is not hunting by any stretch of the imagination.

dude.relax.lol.its beyond your control.And to be honest to get so upset over something like this is nuts.It is almost like you are jealous.It isn't hunting but the people that do it aren't hunters.They are rich people that want to do it.Plain and simple.They have the money to shoot a 220" deer and they don't have the know how to shoot a spike.So what?Who cares.

• Like 1

Let's face it... none of these shows actually show anyone "hunting" .... lots of sitting around ... not really much hunting... someone picks out their "treehouse", buys their clothes, grows and feeds their deer, guts the deer for them, and processes their deer... I'm not seeing the traditional hunting part at all.

• Like 1

Here we go with the narrow minded opinions. Is it hunting if you have a guide, is it hunting if u come back to a big heated lodge, is it hunting if some one does all the work and puts u in a position to just shoot the game your after, I see it as do what u want if it is legal who cares, I may not hunt like that but I will not be so ignorant as to go and nock someone else's hunt, because to each his own,

Here we go with the narrow minded opinions. Is it hunting if you have a guide, is it hunting if u come back to a big heated lodge, is it hunting if some one does all the work and puts u in a position to just shoot the game your after, I see it as do what u want if it is legal who cares, I may not hunt like that but I will not be so ignorant as to go and nock someone else's hunt, because to each his own,

Not about caring its about having an opinion about that type of hunting... they certainly can do what they like if it's legal, I don't have to like it or think it's hunting and I don't. Just because you play video hunting games doesn't mean you're hunting.

I dont see why anyone would be surprised at a show sponsored by SCI is shot in a fenced preserve. Thats what SCI does, they keep a record book for preserve animals.

Got to be able to win your pinnacle diamond inner circle ring trophy somehow.LOL

They do put on a hell of a convention, I give em' that. B)

• Like 1

Ok, I always get this knee-jerk reaction when I read about these kinds of hunts. It's kind of disgusting what is being done in the name of hunting these days. Always people looking for short-cuts to impress their peers with their hunting prowess. They want to take the credit and claim achievements without all the handicaps and features that level the playing field somewhat for the prey. We really don't liek that mentality, or at least so we tell ourselves.

However, once I get over that initial rant, I begin to think about what it is that is so maddening about these kinds of hunts. Why the heck do I take these things so personal? Well, it seems that these so-called hunters are trying to make themselves appear to be great hunters by taking advantage of animals that have been "created" through agricultural methods of animal husbandry. These animals are no longer truely wild, but basically dumb semi-domestic farm animals. There are tactics and techniques that place the advantages squarely in the favor of the hunters through technology and human manipulation to the point where the prey almost has no chance of survival. The element of challenge has been compromised and pretty much eliminated. The quality of the deer have been artificially maneuvered and manipulated through careful habitat manicuring such that they do not represent the natural fetures o the species.

But then, isn't this sort of thing just the natural extension of every deer hunting evolution of techniques over the decades that we are now all accepting as standard hunting activities these days? It's all the same thing except that hunting preserve owners have taken it all to its natural conclusion. Consider the efforts that we all go through to equip ourselves with the latest technolgy in our hunting. Look at the weapons we use today. Some of them bear no resemblance to weapons of years ago. That too is a form of trying to erase the challenge, and a pursuit of gadgets and gimmicks to put the advantages in our favor to a greater and greater extent. We haven't found any limit yet that I can see as we continue the march toward space age weapons. Whatever technology can come up with is readily accepted by hunters and eventually by conservation law. Look at how many would like to have the advantage of baiting legalized. Look at how we devote hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on food plots to improve the herd and antler size. Many of the things we do on a regular basis are activities aimed at coming up with as close to a guaranteed result in our hunts as we can possibly arrange. Most of what we see on hunter's wish lists involves changes that would eliminate other layers of challenge. No we haven't taken it all to the extent of these pay-to-hunt game farms (yet), but it all points toward the same thing. The difference only lies in extent.

So maybe these game farm hunts shouldn't really irritate me so. Those people have merely moved the line a little farther out than we are willing to accept today. It may very well simply be a peek at what future hunting will evolve into. In many ways, we have pushed hunting and everything relating to hunting in the direction of guarantees. Maybe these hunting preserves are just a little ahead of their time.

Having the advantage of a 69 year perspective sometimes gives us a good look at the indicators that point out the future and provides us with something to think about.

This post is about the only post on this subject that even begins to explain this post. First off who are we to tell a person how to spend their time or their money? You might call it one thing and someone else calls it something else. I will tell you one thing that is 100% fact is that high fence whatever you want to call it is growing in leaps and bounds every year in most every state. This year alone there have been 63 high fence ranches put up in Ny alone. Right now there are not enough bucks to supply the demand in any states. Trust me when i say the times and ways are changing. People are changing. Kids are changing. Hell life itself is changing.

I know those guys that own that place in Pa and i can promise you that they are booked for whatever you want to call it from the end of Aug till the end of Dec! They buy a half million dollars worth of bucks a year to supply the demand they have to do whatever you want to call it on their ranch. They have some of the top genitics in the country when it comes to whitetails!

On another note, When it comes to people breeding these deer to make freaks, Well thats what hurts the high fence world more than anything. There are a few bad apples in every part of life and they are in high fence also.

I will also tell you that when it comes to growing whitetails a 170in yearling is very easy to make. There are no roids or any other fake crap that a few spew off about. Its all genitics with very good,All you want to eat feed and no stress at all. For the few that say thats where cwd comes from. Well you might want to do your homework. There are 7 states and 1 other country that has cases of cwd and there has never been a deer farm or high fence ranch in any of them,EVER! Deer farms find cwd because they are the only ones made to look for it.

The bottom line is that its none of our business how or what other people choose to do with their life as long as its legal and it does not have anything to do with any of us.

Boundries yes....but not like a 12' high fence...lol

And a deer wont get past either. So once you have an area that is larger than the home range of a buck (which has a larger range than a doe), say double that, whats the difference between having a fence and not having one? The deer could live inside of this giant enclosure for its entire life and never see the fence. Inside the fence it would be all natural environment, food sources, etc. Would that be hunting or no?

How did they survive before the days of fences?

I don't watch it, but that doesn't mean I like the image it gives to people outside the sport or new to the sport. My buddy hasn't gotten anything in 5 years just sits waiting for something and then calls my buck a "cull" deer because of all he has learned from Larry Weishun and QDMA

Larry Weishun is a TV hunter, no? If your buddy is really learning from the QDMA, then hes not culling anything. Sounds to me like he simply watches too much TV and may have unrealistic expectations for his area. Regardless, its his choice, and why do you feel you have the right to judge him for it?

Not about caring its about having an opinion about that type of hunting... they certainly can do what they like if it's legal, I don't have to like it or think it's hunting and I don't. Just because you play video hunting games doesn't mean you're hunting.

But its not just about that Joe. How many people posted here calling for it to be illegal, etc? Thats more than just expressing an opinion.

Saw that.... also saw the monster that girl in flip flops shot had horns so heavy it could barely keep its head up! It bedded down and used the bowling ball looking drop tine as akick stand! No thats a story to tell the grandkids huh.... idiot's. ! Not my style, but i wouldnt mind hearing how the fence fell down @ that place ;)

Edited by TreeGuy

Saw that.... also saw the monster that girl in flip flops shot had horns so heavy it could barely keep its head up! It bedded down and used the bowling ball looking drop tine as akick stand! No thats a story to tell the grandkids huh.... idiot's. ! Not my style, but i wouldnt mind hearing how the fence fell down @ that place ;)

Yup that pretty much sums it up! Go figure!

Larry Weishun is a TV hunter, no? If your buddy is really learning from the QDMA, then hes not culling anything. Sounds to me like he simply watches too much TV and may have unrealistic expectations for his area. Regardless, its his choice, and why do you feel you have the right to judge him for it?

Larry Weishun is biologist and spokes person for North America Hunting Club, QDMA, and is in many tv shows.

As far as my friend I was using him as an example not judging him. If you reread what I posted it was him judging me for my deer considering himself an authority on the matter because he watchs a lot of TV even he doesn't have any experience for himself.

People can do whatever they legally want and thats fine if they have money to blow like that but bottom line its not for me. I consider a trophy whats big for my area. Yes that means I may never get 150' + deer but anyone around here can look at my horns and say "Darn, you got those deer off public land around here?"

I like getting deer, but I love the scouting, the sitting, the setting up stands, and the fact that I don't get 100% money back guarantee.

Now my question is why would any one want a high fenced hunt?

I remember I really wanted to pig hunt once so I went to a place in central PA. A big game ranch over 1,000 acres high fenced etc... What they didn't mention was that the 1000 acres were split up into 50 acre plots that had pigs are all over feeding out of tubs alog with deer, stag and other animals. If you walked out with a bucket you could have hit one in the head with a hammer and called yourself a hunter. Needless to say I didn't pig hunt and lost all respect for the type of hunting.

Larry Weishun is biologist and spokes person for North America Hunting Club, QDMA, and is in many tv shows.

As far as my friend I was using him as an example not judging him. If you reread what I posted it was him judging me for my deer considering himself an authority on the matter because he watchs a lot of TV even he doesn't have any experience for himself.

People can do whatever they legally want and thats fine if they have money to blow like that but bottom line its not for me. I consider a trophy whats big for my area. Yes that means I may never get 150' + deer but anyone around here can look at my horns and say "Darn, you got those deer off public land around here?"

I like getting deer, but I love the scouting, the sitting, the setting up stands, and the fact that I don't get 100% money back guarantee.

Now my question is why would any one want a high fenced hunt?

I remember I really wanted to pig hunt once so I went to a place in central PA. A big game ranch over 1,000 acres high fenced etc... What they didn't mention was that the 1000 acres were split up into 50 acre plots that had pigs are all over feeding out of tubs alog with deer, stag and other animals. If you walked out with a bucket you could have hit one in the head with a hammer and called yourself a hunter. Needless to say I didn't pig hunt and lost all respect for the type of hunting.

Agreed and those are the places that give all a black eye. Now i could take you to a place, Show you trail cam pics, Give you a 3 day hunt with a bow to take that deer and chances are good you wont take him. There are some real great places to go and the ones like you talk about will be or already are.. Out Of Business!!

Agreed and those are the places that give all a black eye. Now i could take you to a place, Show you trail cam pics, Give you a 3 day hunt with a bow to take that deer and chances are good you wont take him. There are some real great places to go and the ones like you talk about will be or already are.. Out Of Business!!

Or I could just walk around and find a place on my own in the woods and hope for the best B)

I dont understand how fenced in hunting is legal. To each his own I guess. I'll take a spike from anywhere in NY over a 200"+ fenced in deer, anyday. I wouldnt do one of those hunts even it was free. I'd be embarassed to put it on my wall or even keep the antlers. I dont care if the area fenced in is 30,000 acres. The fact is, the animals are fenced in and can only run so far till they hit the fence.

The hyprocrasy on this site amazes me at times. It is ok to go ride around until you find Lion track, put a pack of dogs on the track, chase it until it runs up a tree, walk up to the tree and gawk at the defensless animal before shooting it... for what? Its hide. That makes you a proud hunter? But hunting a 30,000 acre piece of fenced property that you couldn't walk from one end to the other in 1 day is unethical? Give me a break.... Hope you enjoy that lion mount. You should be proud.

Edited by cwhite

http://huntingny.com...-trip-and-pics/

The hyprocrasy on this site amazes me at times. It is ok to go ride around until you find Lion track, put a pack of dogs on the track, chase it until it runs up a tree, walk up to the tree and gawk at the defensless animal before shooting it... for what? Its hide. That makes you a proud hunter? But hunting a 30,000 acre piece of fenced property that you couldn't walk from one end to the other in 1 day is unethical? Give me a break.... Hope you enjoy that lion mount. You should be proud.

Wow, Yur good! I thought about doing the same thing but like i posted above. If it is ok to do and has nothing to do with me..Well..Its their choice. You are right though..Kinda gets two-faced around here at times. Would not turn me on to kill a lion or deer being run by dogs. Now throw a yote in there and im in. Guess im two-faced at times also!!!

Here's a thought. Don't watch it. Don't do it.

Why are there 4 pages of bitchin' about this topic. Sounds like a bad marriage.

Here's a thought. Don't access the thread....lol.

Seriously ..... we all have our own view of what is fair in hunting. We all have picked that up from friends, relatives, magazine articles, TV programs, etc. These views are personal and usually deeply entrenched. Some kinds of hunting are downright repugnant and none of us have any problems with speaking out against them. Some go against our versions of hunting so bad that we feel ashamed to be lumped in with those that participate in them for fear of guilt by association. We feel that some tactics present a poor P.R. image for hunters and hunting. So, I am not really surprised that it has gone on for many pages, and I won't be surprised if it continues for many more. It's not a problem.