Three wounded buck, one dead

JFB

Between last weekend and today I saw three different bucks hobbling through the woods. Found a fourth buck laying dead and from the decay I'd say it was from opening weekend. I'm not saying I've never missed, but I sure wish people would stop just throwing lead. Do people unloading their gun at sprinting deer really not feel bad when they "miss"? Not surprisingly, all these bucks appeared to be 1.5 yr old deer... which sure opens the possibility it was from "brown it's down" hunters. I don't have proof of that, but it sure seems that those that don't care what they shoot wound a lot of deer. When you don't care if it's big/small/buck/doe... all thats left to do is SHOOT!

I mean seriously, even if your third, fourth, or fifth shot happens to hit... what are the chances you kill it (not to mention how much meat you destroy with your random hit)? Sure wish more people would use their heads and respect the game. Can't wait to teach my son to hunt and give him one round for his gun.

That gets me to! Some of these guys are so fast I don't know how they can reaquire what they are shooting at in the scope. Most guys I see or talk to hunt with a scope...I could potentially see these guys letting it fly that fast with open sights but definielty not with a scope! Even so....one good shot kills a deer. No need to throw out a 5 shot volley.

In 20 years of hunting I have only one time taken more then one shot and that was when I was young. Running deer and a shut gun with open sights. Emptyed the gun with three shots and didn't even come close to hitting it, never did that again.

One shot for sure will do the job.. I see alot of lack of preparation before the season to blame also... People dont take the time to shoot and make sure there gun is still sighted in properly,, I know one guy that has a scope and changed brands of slugs , and didnt think he had to sight his gun in for the different ammo .. I tried to explain they will not fly the same, and left it at you better sight your gun in before you hunt,, he didnt and missed twice... Some people just shouldnt hunt..

I'm a one-shot per deer guy, but I can confess that I focused primarily on bow practice this year. My gun spent it's pre season time in my safe , and I used it opening morning to take a doe, opening afternoon for another doe. Both one shot dropped in their tracks. I have spent a lot of time with it since then... and in prior years I have tuned it in to my needs. So long as my scope doesn't take a hit from a drop... I know where my rifle hits... we're good friends :)

• Like 1

Bowshotml.. you might think this is a selfish answer but it's the truth. Earlier in the year I shot a big eight and it too was clearly wounded prior (I'm not making this stuff up). The butcher rejected the meat and the DEC gave me a new tag. I've been hunting a specific 14pt all season and I wasn't about to sacrifice my only buck tag again just because idiots can't shoot. If I did that, I'd have a wall full of fork horns and six pointers and probably no meat to show for it. It may not be what some guys think is the right thing to do but I didn't cause the problem and alone I can't fix it by cleaning up after them. The best I can do is educate.

You only get one tag I can understand that... At least your Honest.. I guess I can say the same if it was early season not sure If I would pull the trigger either.. I guess I was refering more to late season like this ..Sounds like your area you need to be a professor not just an average educator.. Peace good luck with the big boy..

We have a guy at camp that does that...and FIL would never say anything...ticks me off...he's really not a bad guy but...I don't under stand it....any how..... had another out of state guest make him go right back out when he said he shot and "it ran off"...he went with him and they found the wounded doe finished her and brought her back to camp....It did my heart good to finally see some one make him do the right thing....This doesn't get any better the older they get in those hills...... :fie:

What's the law on putting down an injured animal? I know that shooting,not tagging and removing the animal from the woods is poaching,but what about just putting it down and leaving it to return to nature?

I may be wrong but if you shoot a deer,,, wounded or not, its hunting??? Be ready to tag it.. Shooting and not recoverving very gray area ??? Shooting it is hunting??? Letting nature take it ,, Are the yotes doing their job??

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

I may be wrong but if you shoot a deer,,, wounded or not, its hunting??? Be ready to tag it.. Shooting and not recoverving very gray area ??? Shooting it is hunting??? Letting nature take it ,, Are the yotes doing their job??

You need the right tag to shoot reguardless. So yea, if you happen to trip across a wounded deer and you don't have the tag you need to shoot it dont.