Three wounded buck, one dead

JFB

usually it's a war zone opening weekend, and after that, it's maybe 10 shots a day. SZ

Yea I just came in from a few day hunt in the SZ I heard tons of shots. And I was on private land the shots were as close and the land border. It was pretty crazy. First time I seen dec in the woods was today.

I throw in the white towel, lol maybe a last day bow hunt and thats it.

Yea I just came in from a few day hunt in the SZ I heard tons of shots. And I was on private land the shots were as close and the land border. It was pretty crazy. First time I seen dec in the woods was today.

Where in the SZ did you see DEC? I hunt state land, and have never even seen a DEC truck.

Where in the SZ did you see DEC? I hunt state land, and have never even seen a DEC truck.

I hunt a nice peice of private land that borders county land in the 6p area for SZ.

Theres lots of logging roads i'm assuming they heard all the shots if they were close by or maybe even got a call who knows.

But yea the DEC are around thats there job. It was the first time I've seen them in the woods this year but im sure they have been around more than we know.

Theres only a few DEC and a lot of land to overwatch. Im sure the DEC are out in full today as well.

Not surprisingly, all these bucks appeared to be 1.5 yr old deer... which sure opens the possibility it was from "brown it's down" hunters. I don't have proof of that, but it sure seems that

be careful what you say around here. You'll be branded an elitist and the "i only hunt for meat" guys will let you know you're arrogant and your ideals are not welcome.

Belo, I realize that. But refreshingly it seems like a lot of guys relate to what I'm saying and empathize with it. I have nothing against someone hunting for meat, but I do have something to say when people take terrible shots just because they don't care if it's big/small/buck/doe. Personally, after passing many deer I managed to shoot a very mature buck (showing off my elitist side) and then three adult doe (showing off my meat/conservation side) to do my part with the buck/doe ratio. I donated one doe and gave away another to a friend. I'm proud (not arrogant) to say all were broadside high percentage shots.

Between last weekend and today I saw three different bucks hobbling through the woods. Found a fourth buck laying dead and from the decay I'd say it was from opening weekend. I'm not saying I've never missed, but I sure wish people would stop just throwing lead. Do people unloading their gun at sprinting deer really not feel bad when they "miss"? Not surprisingly, all these bucks appeared to be 1.5 yr old deer... which sure opens the possibility it was from "brown it's down" hunters. I don't have proof of that, but it sure seems that those that don't care what they shoot wound a lot of deer. When you don't care if it's big/small/buck/doe... all thats left to do is SHOOT!

I mean seriously, even if your third, fourth, or fifth shot happens to hit... what are the chances you kill it (not to mention how much meat you destroy with your random hit)? Sure wish more people would use their heads and respect the game. Can't wait to teach my son to hunt and give him one round for his gun.

When you are teaching the lessons be sure to include the one about not jumping to conclusions based on no facts.

• Like 1

I thik a lot of the unrecovered animals result from the lack of proper tracking skills. The years that we have no snow seem to contribute to this in my view. I have seen deer that are hit very well go 50-100 yards with little or no blood. You then may have to resort to tracking to follow up and in an area of heavy deer sign you can lose the tracks befor eyou find the blood. I get a little upset sometimes at how quickly some hunters give up on a follow up. It si so easy to say it was a miss if they don't go in a heap. Years with snow I see this less.

I thik a lot of the unrecovered animals result from the lack of proper tracking skills. The years that we have no snow seem to contribute to this in my view. I have seen deer that are hit very well go 50-100 yards with little or no blood. You then may have to resort to tracking to follow up and in an area of heavy deer sign you can lose the tracks befor eyou find the blood. I get a little upset sometimes at how quickly some hunters give up on a follow up. It si so easy to say it was a miss if they don't go in a heap. Years with snow I see this less.

This year we had only one day with a sufficient snow cover to make the deer stand out from the background. I believe that in addition to the additional complications of barren ground tracking, the lack of snow is giving more hunters hurried shots of fleeing deer instead of shots at deer spotted well in advance against the snow and careful prepared shots. Those rushed shots of bounding away white deer rumps are a cause of a lot of wounding losses. Jump-shooting deer is a very low percentage way of hunting.

Your other point about hunters that assume a miss if the deer doesn't go down in a heap reminds me of something that happened years ago. I was just coming in from a morning hunt when I heard a shot in the field next to the house. I went over to the hedge-row to see what was going on and I saw 5 deer come out of the thicket. Four crossed the field and went up the hill. The 5th one kind of came into the field and hooked around back toward the thicket. I expected to hear another shot, but instead saw a guy come out of the thicket, stepped into the field and before I could yell over to him about the one deer that went back into the thicket, the guy swung a quick glance right then left and did an about face back into the thicket. It all happened in less than a minute. I kind of stood there stunned not knowing exactly what was going on. In a couple of minutes I heard a car door slam out by the road, the car started and the guy took off.

Unbelieveable, I was certain that deer was hit and I suspected it was hit hard. So I headed off to the other end of the field, and before I knew it I came across a big splotch of blood. It had to have been within 20 feet of where the guy stopped. I followed the blood in a semicircle back to the edge of the thicket and there was the biggest doe I have ever seen. If that guy had done even the most fundamental attempt at tracking that deer, it would have been the easiest tracking job ever. No there was not any snow, but in this case it really wasn't even needed.

Well in this one case, the deer did not go to waste. But I have to wonder just how often this sloppy follow-up goes on out there.

Doc...couple that with how difficult it can be to identify a landmark near the shot. Had two brand new hunters hunting with me this year and I gave them both to instructioins (beyond the normal safety reminders) when they shot they were to stay in ther stand locations until i got there. I told them I was goiong to ask two questions. Where was the deer when you shot and where was the last place you saw the deer. Both guys took deer at camp and both make great shots. THey did jsut as asked and were able to put me on the spot of the shot. On had no hair and no blod at all and one had about a dozen hairs. Both were hit with a rifle and both hit at least some heart and out off side shoulder. Neither went off their feet. Both guys were able to out me within 10-15 feet of where they last saw the deer and I was able to follw tracks with them until we found blood. One went about 50 yards and the other probably went 100 yards.

Neither one of those guy could believe the blood trail once the deer started to bleed and they were surprised the deer could take that hit and still go.

It can be dificult by yourself to identify those areas and walk to them. It looks so different once you are moving.

Griz, I can relate to what you're trying to say.

Four of my five deer weapons are essentially one shot (bow, Encore Pistol, ML, single shot 20 gauge) and when you only have one shot you tend to make it count. I was embarrassed this year that it actually took me a walk up second shot to dispatch a deer. But compared to my rookie years long ago, I've increased my harvests since choosing my shots like described prior. Back as a 16 yr old, it took a couple dumb shots and misses before I matured.

Watched my uncle kill a running doe the other day with a single shot shotgun he got as a teen. Doe was at 65 yrds running at a good clip and one shot planted her on the next hop. Now I pride myself at being a good shot but ive never seen someone who could consistently do this evertime, like him. All I could think was dont pizz him off because you dont have a chance even if your running. :laugh:

• Like 1