Venison steaks for dinner

Deerthug

So I have had some backstrap and tenderloin swimming in my own marinade since Wednesday. Soy sauce, worcester sauce, extra virgin olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder. I'm going to be putting them on the grill in a bit.

Now the downside, my son's friend is over and will be staying for dinner. I asked him if he's ever eaten venison. His response was "no but my dad says it tastes like motor oil." WTF? I told him wait until you taste the ones I'm cooking tonite and then tell me if it tastes like motor oil.

• Like 1

When the kid sits down to eat put a quart of Valvoline in front of him along side the steaks.

On a serious note....I gave my father in law some venison the other day ( he doesn't hunt much anymore) and I mistakenly gave him the inside tenderloins......Sob

• Like 1

When the kid sits down to eat put a quart of Valvoline in front of him along side the steaks.

On a serious note....I gave my father in law some venison the other day ( he doesn't hunt much anymore) and I mistakenly gave him the inside tenderloins......Sob

Better call and find out when he plans on cookin that inner strap up.....invite yourself over!

Well dinner is done. The backstraps are long gone. The kid tried it. Don't think he liked it. Offered him some more and he politely said no thank you. I felt like i was offering him brussel sprouts. LOL. My son on the other hand went to town on the straps. :)

No, my point was/is that marinades change the taste of meat.....marinated venison does not taste like venison. But, if you like it....fine!

Understood. But don't you marinade and season steak before cooking it or do you just throw it on the grill right out of the package? Just doesn't taste right to me without some seasoning or marinade.

I'm one that doesn't really like the "gamey" taste of venison. Weird for a hunter, not really. A friend suggested this (link) marinade and I've tried it different ways prepared indoors - broiled, GF grill, pan fried, etc. For whatever reason, on the B-B-Q is the best!

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Seasoning-Mixes/Homestyle%20Classics/Meat-Marinade-Seasoning-Mix.aspx

I prefer my venison without adding sauce or marinade..I Like the taste of the meat..

Backstraps or steaks get pan broiled in a very hot skillet in a little spray "pam" or butter...Sear each side and serve them rare or medium rare, perhaps with a little garlic seasoned salt.

If the smoke ain't rolling and the blood ain't running, you ain't COOKING it right.