crossbows unlawful to big game in nys

Hunter7mm-08

Another misconception regarding crossbows is that it is easier to shoot with and requires less skill in hunting. Hunting with crossbows still requires the skills needed by a bow hunter to take down his prey even if releasing the arrow is not drawn by hand. You still have to patiently wait for the deer to come close before shooting. Tactics used by a traditional archer is still needed by a crossbow hunter because although shooting does not require much exertion of effort, shooting and aiming accurately is still a skill to master for a successful hunt.

Another misconception regarding crossbows is that it is easier to shoot with and requires less skill in hunting. Hunting with crossbows still requires the skills needed by a bow hunter to take down his prey even if releasing the arrow is not drawn by hand. You still have to patiently wait for the deer to come close before shooting. Tactics used by a traditional archer is still needed by a crossbow hunter because although shooting does not require much exertion of effort, shooting and aiming accurately is still a skill to master for a successful hunt.

+1. Extremely frustrating seeing nice bucks 60-100yds away or close enough to shoot but behind brush. Simple gun shots.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Well most know my stance on them...so not rehashing....Not changing my mind either...NYS needs to change how they are going to allow new crossbow hunters in the woods...I'm mean a hunter safety course just like bow hunters need and have them actually shoot a few bolts during the course...put them in small game!....See I can say this now being a regular bow hunter for 16 yrs and buying and trying the new cross bow this gun season...They are not as easy as some of the gun and even older hunters think or have posted as being...my shoulder and arms ached just from the forward weight of it...

(sp)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Well most know my stance on them...so not rehashing....Not changing my mind either...NYS needs to change how they are going to allow new crossbow hunters in the woods...I'm mean a hunter safety course just like bow hunters need and have them actually shoot a few bolts during the course...put them in small game!....See I can say this now being a regular bow hunter for 16 yrs and buying and trying the new cross bow this gun season...They are not as easy as some of the gun and even older hunters think or have posted as being...my shoulder and arms ached just from the forward weight of it...

(sp)

Just drop down that bipod or bench rest the crossbow on a fallen log. Shoot from a prone position or a sitting position steadying the crossbow on your knee. That should solve that problem easy enough and keep things absolutely rock steady as well. I have tried shooting my old 12 guage off-hand and that isn't a real good experience either (for the same reason). That's why all my stands have gun rests built into them for steadying things down.

• Like 1

My concern is that the nice calm, quiet, enjoyable bow season will become the annoying, frustrating, busy type like gun season is around here. It is easier than long or compound bows in regards to the equipment itself so that will draw in that many more people. Kinda hard to hold your bow at full draw for too long waiting for that perfect shot but just rest your crossbow on a gun rest and you can hold it all day. Shooting a gun is easy and thats why there are so many more gun hunters. I am sure I am not alone when I say I enjoy bow season a whole lot more than gun season and would like to keep it that way. As far as using xbow during gun season I have no problem with that.

Personally I'd be happy if they made only longbows and recurves legal for bow season. Guess I'm a throwback but what's wrong with having a season where skill and woodsmanship are essential for success and the weapon is primitive.

Edited by adkbuck

1995 and 1999 DEC/Cornell University deer hunting regulations survey, also an on going survey http://www.micropoll...1097485-2082586

I hope the DEC isn't using a 15-20 year old survey to make decisions today. The micropoll has 1787 total "votes" so far. Why do I get the feeling it was created by a crossbow advocate and why hasn't it been made more publicly available. It's easy to get the results to look one way or another if there is no randomization of the survey participants.

The NYS DEC have taken both studies into consideration along with hunter input....which they ask for each and every year. The micropoll has been linked on several web sites and mentioned in several magazines and newsprint, and yes the poll was published on NYCC FaceBook and Web page...you to can "vote"

The NYS DEC have taken both studies into consideration along with hunter input....which they ask for each and every year. The micropoll has been linked on several web sites and mentioned in several magazines and newsprint, and yes the poll was published on NYCC FaceBook and Web page...you to can "vote"

Not a surprise after seeing that 90% of the "votes" were for crossbows and the first time I've heard about this micropoll was in this thread.

I hope the DEC isn't using a 15-20 year old survey to make decisions today. The micropoll has 1787 total "votes" so far. Why do I get the feeling it was created by a crossbow advocate and why hasn't it been made more publicly available. It's easy to get the results to look one way or another if there is no randomization of the survey participants.

lol exactly.

You mean the 2000 NYB members which are 1% or less of the 200,000 plus NYS bowhunters?

And even smaller % of the 600,000 big game hunters?

i know at least 6 people i work with that are not NYB members who disagree with xbow's during archery. Remember there's a membership fee. I'm not here to make another thread 7 pages long, I just wanted to point out that it's not "well past the debate stage". Plus i saw quite a few polls having Romney win the election...

1995 and 1999 DEC/Cornell University deer hunting regulations survey, also an on going survey http://www.micropoll...1097485-2082586

i'm pissing my pants right now. I had to hit "vote" 3 times for it to take when voting NO. hahahaha.Oh and guess what? You can keep voting as many times as you want! lollolololool

Edited by Belo

These polls really are worthless...saying that...Belo..no you can't vote more than once...AT THE SAME IP ADDRESS...but if you have access to multiples as many ppl do...then it makes the voting worthless for the poll is easily manipulated

Edited by growalot

These polls really are worthless...saying that...Belo..no you can't vote more than once...AT THE SAME IP ADDRESS...but if you have access to multiples as many ppl do...then it makes the voting worthless for the poll is easily manipulated

You hit it Growalot. This poll is also worthless because of who had been made aware of it until this point. This would be like polling only Republicans about Romney VS Obama...

doesn't tell me my vote isn't counting. appears to accept it every time. So unless you're the administer and know for a fact it's filtering than there's noway of knowing.

• Like 1

Well when I voted ...I was told it went through...then after reading your post I got back on the site and tried to vote again...big red letters appeared...you a have already cast your vote in this poll actually here is the paste and it would not allow me to even get back to voting page....you must have a Advanced computer system ...I suppose...lol

You have already voted for this poll

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Well when I voted ...I was told it went through...then after reading your post I got back on the site and tried to vote again...big red letters appeared...you a have already cast your vote in this poll actually here is the paste and it would not allow me to even get back to voting page....you must have a Advanced computer system ...I suppose...lol

(sp)

touche. i'm getting it now.