Venison meatballs

crappyice

I am making these today so an last minute tips welcome.

I have 1lb of ground venison mixed with 4oz of pancetta that I ground. Gonna add one egg, some seasoned bread crumb to combine and maybe some Parmesan cheese.

After I sauté them, I'll let them simmer in some tomato sauce for a bit. Then, slice e'm up to put on homemade pizza.

I think that's it. I'm going to keep it simple for my first run

Enjoy, Crappyice !!..

As far as browning meatballs goes, I have done it in a skillet with oil, in the oven as Growie suggested, and in the microwave... All three methods worked..I usually do them in the MWave about 6 or 7 minutes, because it is simple and works well for me.

However, a friend of mine, whose family owned an Italian restaurant for years, just makes up her meatballs and drops them in the simmering sauce..No browning !! I tried it and it worked well.She told me that the only problem is that if you simmer them TOO long in the sauce, they are more likely to fall apart.

Just passing that along in case anyone wants to try it..The one time I did it that way it turned out well...

Even us old dogs can learn new tricks..

Edited by Pygmy

You guys got me thinking meatballs so try this for a snack. Cook them however you want. Put them in a crock pot. Get a big jar of pepperoncini peppers. (the light green colored ones you see in salads) Strain all of the juice, from the jar into the pot. Then use scissors to snip the peppers into small rings into the pot. Hold the peppers over the pot while you cut, so that all of the seeds and juice inside the peppers go in. Discard the very last part of the pepper and the stem. After the pot gets hot (low heat) Let them sit in the crock pot for a few hours If you want more heat, chop up a few jahalopinio ( or how ever the hell you spell it) peppers and toss them in. Good stuff.

Edited by ants

I always add some warm water to the ingredients when done, mix again and then form the meatballs...... this makes a big diference in meatballs and I'm sure it would work with venison meatballs as well. You'll never have dry meatballs again.....

Edited by Woodcock

I second adding water to the mix...about 1/3 cup water per lb of meat. I use ice cold water as it keeps the meat cold, making it easier to work. I also like some breadcrumbs in the mix at about the ratio as the water.

Edited by pewlodar

Ditto on the H20...My Mom often used milk rather than water.She claimed that the milk made the meatballs more tender, and water made them more firm. My Dad used to complain that Mom's meatballs were TOO tender..

I use the water. I think it also helps dissolve and distribute the seasonings.

• Like 1