Who wants Yearling Buck Protection with ARs in their area?

Meat Hunter

What I will say is not knowing any thing about the quote "button" and having always used the "quote" bubble and copied quotes...if I misunderstood the way you do quotes and saw it as a deletion of what my original was in error..I'll apologize for the misunderstanding of it...

Also still find your high school sarcastic digs and comments Made well before this whole quote education as amusement....never considering you'd "man up"...lol

Edited by growalot

Nor are you... as seen in that last little spew.... in the business of either understanding or successfully deflecting a post....

I do see ....you figured out that when putting someone else post in a "quote" box...you are able to delete items with in that post class act there..not

Now I have to say were I to be have time reverse and suddenly become a high school freshmen...the caliber of your insults just may bother me...but as it stands now...you humor me Thank you

PS...... if you hurry you may get a chance to put back the content you deleted in the aforementioned post of mine. Before anyone notices

What post are you talking about. I have been readin gthese and don't see any big quote modifications?

Lord Almighty Culver it's been resolved!!!! lol

OK...forget AR's....

If you want one buck...then make getting your gun, bow license like getting your drivers license....make it mandatory that you bring your gun, bow, what ever....... and take a proficiency test...Now guys can brow beat the little woman or daughter ...uninterested son ...into sitting through the course...but Having to actually teach them or them being willing to learn to shoot...whole different story...having to have equipment that fits their needs...too costly. This will curb the "spousal" tag usage and if it doesn't...well then perhaps it will actually increase the real # of hunters out there...should they actually enjoy learning.....Even though there will still be guys out there willing to get the spouse and her girlfriend to sit in a bow class...then offer to buy the girl friends tag..

.ps..neither ever lifted a bow to even practice with one...though give the girl friend credit...she never sold nor used the tag

• Like 1

Lord Almighty Culver it's been resolved!!!! lol

OK...forget AR's....

If you want one buck...then make getting your gun, bow license like getting your drivers license....make it mandatory that you bring your gun, bow, what ever....... and take a proficiency test...Now guys can brow beat the little woman or daughter ...uninterested son ...into sitting through the course...but Having to actually teach them or them being willing to learn to shoot...whole different story...having to have equipment that fits their needs...too costly. This will curb the "spousal" tag usage and if it doesn't...well then perhaps it will actually increase the real # of hunters out there...should they actually enjoy learning.....Even though there will still be guys out there willing to get the spouse and her girlfriend to sit in a bow class...then offer to buy the girl friends tag..

.ps..neither ever lifted a bow to even practice with one...though give the girl friend credit...she never sold nor used the tag

How many do you think take the bow and general ed classes for several days each and never hunt but do so with the intent to let husbands hunt, wives hunt, etc? Think it is more than 5%? You have to take both to bow hunt in NY right?

I'll tell you what...as I had mentioned.... Oh a dozen times over the last couple of years how I didn't really like the quote "thingies"..Now you know why...I'll admit I don't know how to make a poll on this site....

I won't just pull arbitrary #'s from the sky...but suggest a poll be set up....

How many hunters do you personally know that hunt off tags procured by non hunting people?

a.) 1-2

b.) 3-4

c.) more than 4

I ...unfortunately would put ©....which does not account for the many many " the daughters buck"...wink wink wink stories I hear while talking to strangers during the year

Now that.... if ppl were honest.... could be a very interesting if not enlightening poll

screw AR's!

If you wan't antlers in NY get away with all the dang tags.Make it one buck a yr.And shorten the gun season.But that wont make the greedy ones happy.no matter what they do someones feelings are going to be hurt.

Yup that will work! Shorter season will help the 1 buck a year help save little guys because the ones that use othes tags will have less time to fill theirs first. Some will still get it done and shoot a couple but not as many. If there are enough deer in your area you get a doe tag in muzzle/bow and then doe tags the state hands out.

Also believe in manditory deer check and mailing in unused tags! Seasons over- you better be on the check list or tags returned.

I would also vote C but could go to even D or E if there were those choices. I would say 5% is not even close!!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

There's a huge difference Joe. OBR is CHOICE. Mandatory AR is MANDATORY. The objective for OBR is to create a more structurally sound "deer herd" as a whole while at the same time employing the freedom of choice. Mandatory AR advances 1.5 to 2.5 as its goal, by way of mandating and removing choice.

A joker willing to break the law under AR is a joker willing to break the law under OBR. A joker is a joker is a joker is a joker, regardless of the situational law.

If a hunter chooses to shoot a 1.5 buck in bow, then so be it. They chose to do so. Their season is "over" at their own doing. I suspect the following season, that 1.5 voluntarily gets a pass by most hunters, and the ones who don't...are likely the ones who don't/cannot devote the time, energy or resources to being selective, or they simply enjoy hunting for their own reasons that lead to a 1.5 being a trophy or worthy kill for them. People become super-selective when they only have one buck tag to burn.

Ohio doesn't seem to have much issue with it, nor does Kentucky, or Indiana, etc. etc. etc. And those states, while not perfect, have just as many brown it is down hunters as we do (at least in %), but they're light years ahead of NY in terms of management AND record books, yet if the average joe wants to shoot a spiker, he can. Choice and education will work.

Resistance...yep...it'll be there for every change. People don't like change. There are four stages to it, including the biggest, "what is in it for me?" If you can manage change in a base - you are likely very successful in life. Move gun season opener to Monday after T-day, 9 day season, one week with a weekend following. OBR. Instant turnaround compared to prior results when paired with a legit doe management plan. Managing DMPs a little better - that's a topic that needs a ton of work, moreso than buck harvest class imo.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to get across... I understand how the one buck rule works and I am not opposed to it at all... my point is that we have many guys saying how they'd like to have the one buck rule instead of AR and I contend all those that say they are for it now.. will be yelling the loudest if it ever becomes law... and may even start to yell once they know it could be a reality... and yell even louder if the scenario that I discibed happens to them.. Like always NY hunters do a whole lot of talking, but when it comes to "doing" thats a whole different story.

Edited by nyantler

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to get across... I understand how the one buck rule works and I am not opposed to it at all... my point is that we have many guys saying how they'd like to have the one buck rule instead of AR and I contend all those that say they are for it now.. will be yelling the loudest if it ever becomes law... and may even start to yell once they know it could be a reality... and yell even louder if the scenario that I discibed happens to them.. Like always NY hunters do a whole lot of talking, but when it comes to "doing" thats a whole different story.

While Ohio has its share of problems( they pale in comparison to NYs), the crowd seems overly satisfied with the OBR. Sure, there are lawbreakers, but I think in large, that catering to that component rather than the majority of legal hunters, is questionable. I don't think it takes rocket science to understand there are tag abuses, but at what cost do we worry more about them?

I do think they'll deal fine with the transition, similar to what an AR issue would bring with the first 3-5 years. Wouldn't you agree in a sense?

While Ohio has its share of problems( they pale in comparison to NYs), the crowd seems overly satisfied with the OBR. Sure, there are lawbreakers, but I think in large, that catering to that component rather than the majority of legal hunters, is questionable. I don't think it takes rocket science to understand there are tag abuses, but at what cost do we worry more about them?

I do think they'll deal fine with the transition, similar to what an AR issue would bring with the first 3-5 years. Wouldn't you agree in a sense?

Absolutely agree... that was my point.. they will resist just as hard against the one buck rule as the AR rule... until it starts to show it's results... but if we're getting the same results... why not choose AR's?.. Although it limits choice... it gives hunters an extra buck tag... and for some (especially those that don't get DMP's) a longer season. Just my thought on things.

I guess I am on the other side of the fence.

I like the choice for everyone. AR removes it. Shooting a second buck was the lowest of the major priorities that the DEC surveyed. Freedom of choice and also a better chance at a trophy buck were 1 and 2 by a far margin.

Seems to me you can do 1 and 2 (which was the large majority % wise) or 2 and 3, which is much less than the majority % wise. I would think 1 and 2 would be more wise.

I guess I am on the other side of the fence.

I like the choice for everyone. AR removes it. Shooting a second buck was the lowest of the major priorities that the DEC surveyed. Freedom of choice and also a better chance at a trophy buck were 1 and 2 by a far margin.

Seems to me you can do 1 and 2 (which was the large majority % wise) or 2 and 3, which is much less than the majority % wise. I would think 1 and 2 would be more wise.

Yeah I would guess that shooting a second buck would be low.. mainly because most guys find it difficult to do. I just think that given my scenario some guys might get a bit pissed with just one buck... and although I have an opinion about the subject of AR's and 1 buck rule.. I personally don't really care because neither will impact me what so ever as far as the quality of my hunting experience. I'd be ok with a one deer rule... either sex.

Edited by nyantler

pa no longer has a 4 point zone. there is a 3 point zone which is 3 points per side. the rest of the state has a 3 up rule.

the 3 up rule means 3 points up on the main beam NOT including the brow tine, the main beam counts as a point.

jr. license holders (16 and under) , mentored youth hunters (up to age 11) , disabled hunters ( with a disability permit), and active military personel can go by the old antler requirements 2 points to a side or a spike at least 3" long.

senior hunters must follow the current antler restrictions in place.

yeah see that's what I thought. thanks for clarifying.