coyote impack on small game

There was a survey report from Maine on coyote and what they have been found to be eating. The survey suggested that fduring the period of when young deer are being born, the coyote is up to 40% of it food source. But as the summer goes along it gets to be less and less. The rest of the year it sure seems they suggest the food source is small game of any type. Rabbit, or young turkey or any thing that walks or flys. I found on our place 3 sets of fawn this year so far. Most must have been only a few weeks old based on bone size. I think NY should just have a open season on the coyote.

I hunt coyots after deer season it is a blast and i try to take as many as i can I have eaven started in the early season as well I will take my boys and sit on a bean field with my call and have fun. one of my freinds had a trail cam on a den and there is proof they hammer the fawns. I think they should keep it open all year long and the more dogs I see the less deer I have been seeing. SHOOT THEM ALL...... :)

I have two different rabbit calls that seem to work real well. They sound like a rabbit that is caught. One is for large rabbit and one for small baby rabbit. It seems the yoke can hear real well. I also like to use a cut corn field and I sit up on a side hill overlooking the field. I have been using a 3 to 9 scope with my old 303 british rifle.

I watch the show on hunting yotes on the hunting channel. I wish I was as good as they are. They use both rifle and also use shotgun with long range  #4 buckshot to take them down. I may have to get one of those fake type small game that works on a battery and moves back and forth so that the yote has something to keep his eye on and not you as you try to get a shot...

I like going for the Yotes too.

Got one last year using #4 shot. Was sitting on a hill taking a break & one walked up to me after about 15 minutes. Guess he was following me as he did come up using same trail as I did.

Mange must be a horrible affliction...because this thing looked miserable. I'm sure I did him a favor.

• 1 month later...

i agree with the open season - i spent some money and bought snow camo and plan to hunt the yotes after deer season - probably need to buy a call - does anyone have recommendations on the electronic calls ?

We use a FoxPro mostly, but I picked up one of the mini phantom predator calls and it works pretty good too. FoxPros are by far the best, but they are pricey.

• 3 weeks later...

I know we're into deer season now for firearm, but you can still hunt coyote during deer season; correct?

I would check one thing before going out. If you are in a "shotgun only" area, check out any regulations about having a center-fire rifle afield during a deer season in such areas. I'm not sure but I seem to recall some sort of restriction in that regards. Maybe somebody knows more on that.

Doc

Yes you can kill a coyote and a deer with a .22. CCL's are the best. Get the varment kind and they will kill most anything. I like .22's because they are more quiet and I don't like to be noticed at night shooting a shotgun. I would if I have to. I cannot wiat till after next weekend so I can get back out there with my .22...

I know we're into deer season now for firearm, but you can still hunt coyote during deer season; correct?

I would check one thing before going out. If you are in a "shotgun only" area, check out any regulations about having a center-fire rifle afield during a deer season in such areas. I'm not sure but I seem to recall some sort of restriction in that regards. Maybe somebody knows more on that.

Doc

Seems that you can based on these links from DEC, as I see no "closed" season during deer season. Also notes the caveat regarding possession of a rifle in shotgun-only deer zones as a no-no.

Pg. 51 seems to indicate:

http://pub.jfgriffin.com/doc/jfgriffin/10NYHD

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html

I'm Gonna sound real naive here.... What can you do with coyotes anyway? ??? just fur and trophies??  Keep in mind here that I am new to hunting in general..... I've never hunted in my life (My dad and grandfathers were fisherman....) 

I'm not sure exactly what the guys are getting for coyote pelts these days, but I'm sure it's way more than the value of the few minutes it takes to skin one out. If you are getting enough of them, you likely can make back the cost of some of your equipment and hunting supplies pretty easy.

As for myself, I don't think we have enough of them to make a significant amount of money, in fact if I get one I'll be happy .... lol. So if I do get one, more than likely I will re-learn my hide tanning skills from back when I was a kid and make a wall-hanging for my den. Also for those that just get one, a mount can be kind of great in a den or trophy room.

Personally, I would not want to hunt them just to leave them lay in the woods. I don't have any particular objection to those that might feel that's what they want to do, but it's just a personal thing with me. Since there are ways to dispose of them profitably, I view them as a resource that I would have to use. If you really are at a loss as to what to do with the any coyotes you may get, simply give them to a local trapper. They probably would really appreciate it.

Doc

A nice put up coyote may bring you $15. They are a tough animal to skin and flesh. We have taken some nicely colored up ones that brought good money last year including $275 for a black female.

All I hunt with is a .22 mag and have no problem taking one. Of course you are not going to do a 100 yard shot, but 50 and under no problem.