Colt Trooper .357

ants

It seems going price on gunbroker seems to be in the 500 ballpark.

I am a revolver fan and the trooper is an excellent Colt model(I owned one), can definitely handle a steady diet of full magnum loads. How much bluing wear, any burred screws or any pitting, ding, etc would cause me to pass on it or get it for significantly less. Just my .02 cents.

The trooper has been called the "poor man's Python"...

It is mechanically the same as the Python, but with less cosmetic features, such as the ventilated rib.

All of the Colt handguns I have handled were very well made quality

fireams.

I suppose some of you younger folks don't remember the Colt Python, which was the CADDILAC of revolvers...

Steve McQueen used one ( 2 1/2") in the movie "Bullet" which had the FIRST thrilling car chase on the cinema....I remember watching it on a big screen at a theater..It was AWESOME, and almost made me dizzy..

The next one was in "The French Connection" and there have been many since, but the "Bullet" chase still stands out in my mind as the first and one of the best.

I had a closer look today. It is almost spotless. The bluing is deep with no fading or scratches. One tiny tiny spec of rust on the side of the rib. The screws are all perfect. The trigger is awesome !! I don't think the thing has been fired much at all. I ran the ser.# and its a 1971. I offered 450. He's thinking it over.

I would go with the Trooper,I don't think you can even put it in the same sentence as the Python.But still a very hefty gun.

Yeah. I have fired a Python a couple of times and it is, in my opinion, the best revolver ever built. I just can't shell out $1000+ for a python. If I could even find one. The last one I saw was in a local gun shop and they wanted $1280 for it.

Steve McQueen used one ( 2 1/2") in the movie "Bullet" which had the FIRST thrilling car chase on the cinema....I remember watching it on a big screen at a theater..It was AWESOME, and almost made me dizzy..

Love that movie. Right up there with the original Vanishing Point, Smokey and The Bandit, etc for car chase movies.

Nice looking piece!! Any concerns with using contemporary ammo in an older revolver like this? Whatever....I hope you are able to come up with enough ammo to shoot it often. Let us know how things go after your first range session.

No concerns that I can think of. I have a few boxes now...looking for more, but you know how that has been. I wanted to take it right out today but the 700mph winds made me decide against it.

SWEEEEET !!

Nice revolver, Ants.... You done GOOOD !

No problem with ammo.. Any .357 that was ever made is old enough for modern ammo NOT to be an issue, especially one with modern ( post 1900) steel and a full .38 to .44 frame like the one you just bought.. The chambering wasn't even developed until the 1930s...

Perhaps Early isn't as old as I thought he was.. Or perhaps he doesn't know enough about " modern" arms as he thinks he does...