any new updates on SAFE?

Ha, it has all gone quiet as one might expect. The mainstream media has made all the anti-gun mileage out of it that they could, and the only things to report now would be the pro-gun responses and plans for legal responses. They don't really want to give any of that air time.

Now all the attention is moving to the federal version of screwing law abiding citizens.

I like how they answer question #5. "If I own an assault rifle do I have to give it up?" Their answer is basically "No you just have to register it with the state, free of charge" They don't mention that you can never give it away, transfer it or sell it to anyone in New York. The only thing you can do is sell it out of state. If you keep it, it must be surrendered (Confiscated) to the state after your death.

I did see on TV that there is a process going on now that is adding some amendments to the law to make up for the screw-ups caused by their hell-bent haste at jamming it down our throats. The example cited was the fact that they didn't bother to exclude law enforcement from a lot of the restrictions. One has to wonder what other little goodies they are cramming in under the guise of "amendments" to the law.

I like how they answer question #5. "If I own an assault rifle do I have to give it up?" Their answer is basically "No you just have to register it with the state, free of charge" They don't mention that you can never give it away, transfer it or sell it to anyone in New York. The only thing you can do is sell it out of state. If you keep it, it must be surrendered (Confiscated) to the state after your death.

I thought I read transfer to immediate family member (spouse, child or step-child) was allowed.

I thought I read transfer to immediate family member (spouse, child or step-child) was allowed.

That is only to do a transfer without going through a ffl. You still can not transfer what they deemed as an "assault weapon" to an immediate family member. The only transfers allowed on what they call an " assault weapon" is to turn it into the authorities, sell it out of state, or sell it to an ffl dealer so they can sell it out of states. I have also heard that you will be able to sell it to a L.E.O but with all the exemptions they forgot to put in and I haven't officially seen it in writing I am not sure if this part is true or not.

To the OP the last I heard was senator Marchione was writing a bill to repeal the unconstitutional parts of this law but she is still looking for cosponsors. As of yesterday morning she had 112,323 signatures on her petition.

The NYSRPA and the NRA announced that they were filing a notice of claim to sue NYS which they legally have to do in order to proceed. They also released a statement that their lawyers have gone through the entire bill and most of the bill was unconstitutional.

It is pretty much a waiting game right now. Wait for the next press release. Wait to see if marchione's bill goes to the floor. If it does wait and see if it passes. Wait for the lawsuit to start. Wait to see if we get our rights back. And wait for the next election to get these people that voted yes out of office.

• Like 1

To the OP the last I heard was senator Marchione was writing a bill to repeal the unconstitutional parts of this law but she is still looking for cosponsors. As of yesterday morning she had 112,323 signatures on her petition.

The NYSRPA and the NRA announced that they were filing a notice of claim to sue NYS which they legally have to do in order to proceed. They also released a statement that their lawyers have gone through the entire bill and most of the bill was unconstitutional.

It is pretty much a waiting game right now. Wait for the next press release. Wait to see if marchione's bill goes to the floor. If it does wait and see if it passes. Wait for the lawsuit to start. Wait to see if we get our rights back. And wait for the next election to get these people that voted yes out of office.

I hope it is overturned. But doubtful. California as an example. I hope I am wrong.

I hope it is overturned. But doubtful. California as an example. I hope I am wrong.

California had nothing in their state constitution giving citizens the right to bear arms. NYS DOES. California's gun laws are now being challenged in court after the US Supreme Court decisions of Heller (2008) and McDonald (2010) established that the 2nd Amendment applied to all states within the Union.

California also did not ban a high percentage of semiautomatic pistols on the market through a magazine limitation.