Went toTSC farms....

Well I'm there weekly...surprised they haven't offered me a job...lol

Anyways they make sure the bagged lime is out very early Febuary...unlike everyone else...I start slow and pic up a bag or2-3 every week...hurts my pocket(perception) a little less...getting lime to where I plant in bulk ...is not an option.

So I asked about it yesterday...and was told some thing I didn't know...they have lay away...that if I watch for their big % off coupons...... I could come in put the coupon toward the lime...buy a pallet and put it on lay away for 3mos...paying a bit each month...while they essentially store it for me...Well win win for me..

Good surprise...never been a lay away type person I had no idea...I buy a lot from them so get really good coupons.......just letting any one in my type of situation a heads up for the spring

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I have a pull behind...and a push drop...but around here you have to have no less than 10 ton delivered at once and it's 30+ a trucking charge...last time I checked a ton...They store it out side...so it's wet...in fact they cant even start delivering until it defrosts...according to ppl over phone...

yes spreding bulk lime is a lot different than bagged lime, need different equipment, its of of you or friend has it but expensive to go out and buy. most let the distributor spread it on large fields.. small food plots are a lot tougher to get trucks into.

Actually yes I do....When working with woodland type plots and being on a budget...I worked out a system for soil improvement and weed suppression based on the types of plants I put into a rotation system between perennials and annuals...

On new soils I will lay down enough lime to bring the ph up to at least basic growing conditions...then I plant annuals that require less than perfect ph...such as buck wheat...trictical or even annual clovers....this will let the deer and birds get use to a new food source with inexpensive seed and I build the tilth of the soil ....

Next I'll take and lime again and put in a fall planting that is grain or brassica....unless I'm experimenting....all these help to bring up old weed seed and suppress weed growth...... giving me time to kill them down before re-seeding them selfs....

After a couple of years I can rotate that to perennials and have another area in the annual rotation...but even the perennials get a bag or two of lime each season...for I have to contend with oak and maple leafs dropping and rotting and the ph coming back up...

See even in a farmers field on open ground a liming with ag lime only lasts so many years and they use way more fertilizer than I do by far

This year I have a bunch more(relative term) ground I'm opening up so will need more than usual...Just to start these soils would need at the very least 3 ton per acre to reach 6...The last time I sent a soil test in I was told it was so low it wasn't on the chart...cold wet acidic soils...I grow THE best carpet moss around...lol

the lowest was in the low 4 area...not much of any thing grew there and what did was ground hugging weeds that had strange yellow roots...it's taken many years of work to get that growing good plants....but maintenance is a must...I have studied a lot of resource material ...including books from my collage years...lots of soil testing in the labs then...but a very good read even though from NC...is in the link...give it a read....

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/publications/Ag-614.pdf

Growie... Do you spread the lime as you get it (weather permiting, of course), or wait until closer to planting time ?

Reason I ask..My property is truck accessible as long as the ground is frozen and we don't get too much snow...I'd considering having a 12 ton load spread, if it is a good option this time of year .

First I'd have to say, It would surprise me if you could get anyone that could spread a truck load at this time....as I mentioned Here It is stored out side and Is Frozen(from what the company tells me) ....

But if not I'd hold off a bit more....If you want it to work down into the soil to become usable...as it were...early with out tilling... then you want to spread in a thaw freeze cycle.....This naturally opens the top layer of soil....

I store mine in the barn until then....One also needs to consider drainage...I do spread on light snow cover on first year perennials but only where I absolutely know run off will not be a problem ...this is usually March /April....mind you in these hills this is a great time to frost heave plant as well.....long range weather watching is important to me.....spring holds a tight scheduled for a one person work force....so timing weather to help me do my work is important...especially when plain ole rain can get me weeks behind...then you have turkey season...lol