Snow Geese

Big Indian

not on long island

you will see a few here and there but nothing in big flocks I was lucky to get one a few years back a young juvenal that was the only one I saw in long time

if your intrested in going for them you should look in to new jersey

papabear

I saw quite a few one year in Jamaica Bay, but of course, there's no hunting there.

I asked someone about it because I would see so few on the Island. I was told, but never verified it ,that their flyway was west of Long Island.

I have seen so few on Long Island, where I used to hunt, that I remember where I saw them.

If you're ever down by Jones Beach west end, ask some of those bird watchers, they're around there most of the time.near the boat basin. They're a wealth of knowledge about birds.I don't think I'd tell them it's for hunting them though

I did read that (below). Here is the link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/50514.html

Regulations for 2013

Under regulations planned for 2013, any person who has migratory game bird hunting privileges in New York, including a valid Harvest Information Program ("HIP") confirmation number, may take snow geese and Ross' geese (a smaller but nearly identical species) in the Western, Northeastern, Southeastern, and Lake Champlain Waterfowl Hunting Zones from January 16 through April 15, in addition to the regular snow goose hunting seasons in each zone. Although these season dates appear in our annual regulations brochure, a delay in the finalization of the state regulations will result in actual special season dates of January 23 - April 15, 2013. Areas where large numbers of snow geese occur at this time of year include the Finger Lakes region, the St. Lawrence Valley, and the upper Hudson and Champlain Valley regions. A special season was not implemented on Long Island, because relatively few snow geese occur in huntable areas there during the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I've hunted snow geese in Ellesville,north of pulaski. They are there by the 10k. Its an amazing sight to see them in such numbers. It is tough hunting up there,getting permission is hard. They fly from the fields to lake ontario. If you go, its best to have a map and just drive around and keep your head in the sky. Good luck

I haven't been up that way this winter, but most years in February there are 1000s rafted up on Seneca...They are visible on the water from Rte. 14 on the west side, especially around Kashong Point, and I have often seen them feeding in some of the big fields along Rte. 414 north of Ovid.

There is more open water north of here this year than normal. perhaps they are not down here in as large numbers as most years.

• 4 weeks later...

"While on the topic, does anyone know a guide who has all the dekes in the finger lakes area? " -Rev Ev

This was a post on Craigslist that I saw. I know you post awhile ago asking.

Snow goose guiding. Call for details 315-576-1478. Name is Dylan and am guiding snow geese for the spring snow goose season of 2013 within the finger lakes region. Will hunt over 1000+ quality snow goose decoys. For questions give me a call or text at the phone number above.

This is a