Snow removal ideas?

zeke83

Im building a new house that will be done around Feb that has a 500 foot long driveway in a wooded lot. I dont want to put a plow on my truck, and its too much for a walk behind blower. Any ideas...maybe one of those blowers that are pushed by a atv?

I have done the plow on an atv before. They are good for an inch or two, but when you get the wet heavy snow they don't work very good.

I just checked prices on a blower for an ATV...around $5000!!

For that price I am better off buying a large garden tractor with a blower

Hire a local guy to plow the snow for you.  This way you don't have to do it and can save the $3000 to $5000 you will need to spend for your own equipment.

Find a plow guy that has good references . Some of thes guys tear uo a drive . A friend in Macedon has had a plow guy do his drive for 2 years and is considering buying an ATV with a plow . He has a gravel drive and it gets shoved way out into the yard .

Im building a new house that will be done around Feb that has a 500 foot long driveway in a wooded lot. I dont want to put a plow on my truck, and its too much for a walk behind blower. Any ideas...maybe one of those blowers that are pushed by a atv?

Either buy a tractor with a blower, especially if you also have other uses for the tractor (foodplots, clearing, etc...). Or, since you don't want to put a plow on your truck, maybe buy an old truck with a snow plow on, park it off to the side somewhere and just use it to plow with. That way you won't be beating the snot out of a new blower or tractor.

I use a Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 ATV. My driveway is about 1000', and I can handle anything up to 6" of heavy snow, and up to a foot of the lighter stuff. Anything that exceeds that I call a local snow plow guy. That happens only once or twice a year. I'm sure there are some parts of the state where that simply wouldn't be enough vehicle.

The good news is that the ATV has multiple purposes. Also, I have maneuverability that allows me to custom plow the driveway putting snow exactly where I want it and how I want it. I can actually plow wider because I know exactly where the edge of the driveway really is. Also, I know where shrubs, etc. are located so it cuts down on damage. I also do my mothers driveway in addition to our own. I've been doing this since about the mid 80's.

I had an 8N Ford with a back-blade, but when I sold that and bought the ATV, I found out that I actually like the ATV better because of maneuverability.

I will say that there are times when I wish I had a nice heated truck. Some of those winter days can get pretty brutal.

Doc

Occasionally, I hire a guy with a compact tractor and a blower on the front.  Until I hired him to do my drive with the blower instead of the plow, he had never used it before.

He found out how much better it works and how little strain it puts on the tractor.  It also doesn't leave big piles of snow off to the sides.  Now he uses it all the time and his plow is in storage.

ONly problem I have seen with ATV plows.....you have to push it back far enough with anticipation of future snow. if it maelts and gets had you will now way have the strength in the atv to move it back.

I have been looking for a compact tractor and have been scouring Craig's list. I have see 2/8/9 N tractors ...some with loaders for around 2500. a back blade would do well for you too because you can get one to push or pull.

I love a 4x4 subcompact with a loader and 3 point hitch.....cheapest so far was 5,000.

one word of warning......snow blower...even if you get a WIDE walk behind. untill it freezes you do run the rish of popping a shear key if you pick up a large stone.