Registering firearms/long guns

How does a person go about registering long guns?See I only have one that I baught myself all the others were handed down from my Dad so not sure how to handle this some were private sales i'm sure.Do I bring to sherriffs office or some other gun dealer?Would appricate some advice thanks

I don't think there is any plan yet in place as to who the task of registering will fall on....when and if it finally happens, if your within the law, why would you take the chance of doing something that could cost you? I know the idea of taking a stand sounds noble, but when it's all said and done, would getting yourself in trouble really be worth it?

Edited by jjb4900

first of all the registry hasn't been setup yet.

If the firearms are not semiautomatic you will NOT have to register them.

If some or all are semiautomatic with a detachable magazine it will have to have one other feature such as folding stock, collapsable stock, thumbhole stock, pistol grip, second hand grip, bayonet mount, flash suppressor, muzzle break, compensator, or a threaded barrel to be considered an assault weapon needing to be registered.

that being said a lot of people are refusing to register as a protest towards this unconstitutional law. I am not a lawyer and I am not giving you legal advice nor am I recommending that you not register. I am just trying to give all the facts!!! B)

then ask the cop if he registered his AR. A few cops I know have told me they are not really going to enforce that law. This is still the grey area that nobody knows. Will the state police give registration cards upon registering them or not? who knows. Most of my friends are not getting rid of their large mags either..... nobody likes this and most wont follow some wont enforce... My advice, wait and dont worry about it uintil the time comes. They dont have the program up and running yet to register "assault rifles" nor the program to do background checks on ammo.

so if I dont register my AR's, then want to use one for hunting, what happens if I get stopped by a cop for whatever reason, he sees the gun, and asks if its registered or not??

the First time you are stopped and "you didn't know it had to be registered it is a warning with 30 days to register it" the second time it is probably going to be a felony. see my disclaimer in my previous post. lol

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

Samuel Adams

• Like 1

then ask the cop if he registered his AR. A few cops I know have told me they are not really going to enforce that law. This is still the grey area that nobody knows. Will the state police give registration cards upon registering them or not? who knows. Most of my friends are not getting rid of their large mags either..... nobody likes this and most wont follow some wont enforce... My advice, wait and dont worry about it uintil the time comes. They dont have the program up and running yet to register "assault rifles" nor the program to do background checks on ammo.

The only problem with asking the cop about whether or not he registered his guns, is that there will more than likely be an exemption for law enforcement, so you may not get the answer you're hoping for.

I don't think there is any plan yet in place as to who the task of registering will fall on....when and if it finally happens, if your within the law, why would you take the chance of doing something that could cost you? I know the idea of taking a stand sounds noble, but when it's all said and done, would getting yourself in trouble really be worth it?

Yes if one believes in it.

so if I dont register my AR's, then want to use one for hunting, what happens if I get stopped by a cop for whatever reason, he sees the gun, and asks if its registered or not??

I have asked this question a few times already and just like this comment, I don't get much of an answer that means much. I may have worded the question slightly different when I asked what good it did to own a gun that you never dared to take out of the house, but it all comes down to the same idea.

So anyway, using the scenario quoted above of being caught out hunting with an unregistered gun, let me lay out the possible outcomes. You can simply understand that they have been busted and then either comply, or accept the penalty and probably the loss of a very expensive weapon,. Perhaps you might then engage in a very costly legal battle and probably lose. The other option is to immediately level the gun at the officer and then enter a life as an armed fugitive. What a laugh. The option of arguing with a LEO, or asking him about his guns is not an effective option, and you are not going to talk him out of an arrest. So you have just two options: comply or make the matter much worse with armed conflict. Unless you are some kind of nut-case, I think the armed conflict approach probably is not very realistic ..... lol.

So, all you that claim that you will never comply, exactly which option would you really choose in the scenario of the confrontation that waterweasel laid out here? I'm guessing your only recourse is to not take that gun out hunting, and maybe even build it into one of the house walls never to be seen again.

If you register your guns, To me that is the same as rolling over and giving up your 2a rights as a law abiding citizen, Registration is the first step to confiscation,I don't care if i have 1 year or 10 years, You put your name on that registry you might as well hand them over at that point, Because its only a matter of time before they come to get them, When will be your best guess, Maybe the next time there is a mass shooting, They blamed the assault rifle for Sandy Hook now its a fact that the shooter didn't use an assault weapon he used pistols, So this whole Safe Act. is BS to begin with. A bunch of scared people acting on nothing more than lies fueled by media, JMHO. Even though my thoughts on the subject can be construed to be the same,

• Like 1

If you register your guns, To me that is the same as rolling over and giving up your 2a rights as a law abiding citizen, Registration is the first step to confiscation,I don't care if i have 1 year or 10 years, You put your name on that registry you might as well hand them over at that point, Because its only a matter of time before they come to get them, When will be your best guess, Maybe the next time there is a mass shooting, They blamed the assault rifle for Sandy Hook now its a fact that the shooter didn't use an assault weapon he used pistols, So this whole Safe Act. is BS to begin with. A bunch of scared people acting on nothing more than lies fueled by media, JMHO. Even though my thoughts on the subject can be construed to be the same,

Well, here's the question: You don't comply with the law, so what are you going to do with these guns? Are you going to board them up in the wall, or bury them in a strongbox out in your yard? I mean lets be realistic. You'll have a very expensive weapon that you can't shoot or even show anybody. Now, I don't know what the penalty is going to be for not complying with the law, but if it turns out to be a felony, ALL your guns could be at risk (no convicted felon can own any kind of gun).The only chance you have of fighting this law is through the courts and through the support of the gun advocacy groups that have the resources to challenge this law. Just simply refusing to comply poses risks that I believe most people have not seriously thought through. make your actions count, and don't be relying simply on tough talk.

The only problem with asking the cop about whether or not he registered his guns, is that there will more than likely be an exemption for law enforcement, so you may not get the answer you're hoping for.

you are right it was just a little scarcasm on my part. However the only exemption would be for his DEPARTMENT issued "Duty" AR15 any personal rifles not used for law enforcement purposes would have to be registered. AR's that is

Edited by apoallo

Id rather talk tough than lie down and comply just because the goverment passed an unjust law, That needs some serious ammending,

Well, I hope we don't have to find out whether you really mean that you would commit a felony and risk losing ALL of your guns or worse yet whether you would escalate any resulting confrontations into something really ugly.

Frankly, I would rather tone down the rhetoric to something a little more realistic, and explore some real means of fighting this law.

Well, I hope we don't have to find out whether you really mean that you would commit a felony and risk losing ALL of your guns or worse yet whether you would escalate any resulting confrontations into something really ugly.

Frankly, I would rather tone down the rhetoric to something a little more realistic, and explore some real means of fighting this law.

that why they will make it a felony.One more way to take all your guns.

• Like 1

Well talk about confusion I just did a small search on this topic and now im very confused.Wikipedia Gun Law's in New York,this says all guns have to be registered it is illegal to own any unregistered then this area of the page has a chart for long and hand guns it could just be myself but its a very confusing read.My question for this was not to start a debate of should I or Shouldn't I register it was where and how to do so.I personally would rather spend the money to register them then to be harrased should I be stopped by athority's and have the proof of ownership,Sorry I struck a nerve with some fellow members.