Deer scents and cover scents, if you use them, how much?

burmjohn

There were a few threads talking about deer scents and cover scents.  But since a deers sense of smell is so strong, is there a need to use a lot? I know I a guy I used to hunt with that would be 5 or so scent wicks out there covered with deer scent.  I was thinking, if a deers nose is so strong, wouldn't it know something is up?  Wouldn't one or two scent wicks be more then enough or even just a little on a leaf, that scent stinks and I am sure it travels far.

Great question!

Curious to see what others have used or found that works best.

I frequently use a drag line when entering my hunting area with either doe or buck urine lure.

At the stand, I use only one wick with a single lure for whatever point during the rut I feel will work.

Occasionally I'll put a 2nd wick out near the 1st one to increase the dispersion effect.

Try not to over do the scents and keep them no more than 5' off the ground.

Always wonder about this very question in regards to the Buck Bombs, since I've never used them.

2 entirely different animals.

Attractant and curiousity scents are can work but are most likely best used in minimal amounts.

A deers nose is far too sophisticated to be fooled in any way by one scent hiding/covering another. They simply process multiple scents individualy at the same time. They can do 3 things - give you a calming placebo effect, draw hunters into spending money, and scare deer.

A deers nose is far too sophisticated to be fooled in any way by one scent hiding/covering another. They simply process multiple scents individualy at the same time. They can do 3 things - give you a calming placebo effect, draw hunters into spending money, and scare deer.

LOL, I am starting to think that is 100% true :P

I read a while back and it may have even been on here.....vanilla makes a good cover scent and is cheaper than buying cover scents for hunting. It said it had the calming effect mentined in this thread because it's smell  way similiar to the does milk and put the deer at ease? anyone ever use this?

Personally I have used doe urine sparingly during the rut or just after and I am not sure if it does anything...lol I have had bucks walk right by when they should have smelled it and had them walk to me with the wind so they shouldn't have smelled it. I have no idea.

I just try to keep my scent down....proper clothing handling, rubber boots and earthy cover scent spray.

I read a while back and it may have even been on here.....vanilla makes a good cover scent and is cheaper than buying cover scents for hunting. It said it had the calming effect mentined in this thread because it's smell  way similiar to the does milk and put the deer at ease? anyone ever use this?

I use vanilla scent alot of times in front of my cams. Don't know if it draws them in, but it sure helps them to stop and pose! Good curiosity scent. Remember Dan Fitzgerold and his "Vanilla Killa" scent? I swear that was just vanilla extract.

[

I use vanilla scent alot of times in front of my cams. Don't know if it draws them in, but it sure helps them to stop and pose! Good curiosity scent. Remember Dan Fitzgerold and his "Vanilla Killa" scent? I swear that was just vanilla extract.

An expensive vanilla extract at that !  ???