Crossbow Debate 2013...

BizCT

I can think of some reasons.

Say a father that is NOT a bow hunter wants to get his kids into the sport. I thinnk it would be easier for him to instruct and get the kids into it.

I also the crossbow would be an easier gateway bow to use for any new archer to learn and become successful with. I can't see where that is a bad thing. Once they get eh hang of it and are able to take some game with it the could very well want a greater challenge and go to a compound and maybe then to a long bow.

so contrary to statements by some members... it is indeed easier than a bow? thanks. that's all I was looking for.

It was answered before you asked it.

guess i missed it. please copy and paste it again for me.

Excluding elderly and handicap; why would a current non bow hunter start hunting archery season if crossbows were legal?

1. New hunters who are just getting into the sport, see xbows being used on TV and think they are cool.

2. Current hunters who are afraid of heights and won't go in treestands. Maybe they can't set up a ground blind on state land, etc. A crossbow gives them better odds on the ground with no blind than a compound.

3. Hunters who want to expand their hunting seasons, but dont have the time to practice enough with the compound bow.

There are many reasons. I'll be out on 10/1 with my Excalibur and I am going to shoot "Your Deer".

thanks again. this also reaffirms the fact that a crossbow is less challenging than a compound or recurve. You can shoot "my deer" all you want right now. Get a bow, practice and get in the woods.

Edited by Belo

"thanks again. this also reaffirms the fact that a crossbow is less challenging than a compound or recurve. You can shoot "my deer" all you want right now. Get a bow, practice and get in the woods."

What's your point? The Xbow is less challenging than the compound. The Compound is less challenging than a recurve. We are both opting for an easier weapon choice but not choosing the Recurve.

Shooting a gun with a scope is easier than a gun without one, right? and I bet you use a scope.

"thanks again. this also reaffirms the fact that a crossbow is less challenging than a compound or recurve. You can shoot "my deer" all you want right now. Get a bow, practice and get in the woods."

What's your point? The Xbow is less challenging than the compound. The Compound is less challenging than a recurve. We are both opting for an easier weapon choice but not choosing the Recurve.

Shooting a gun with a scope is easier than a gun without one, right? and I bet you use a scope.

Biz. He has no interest in allowing it in archery. Rather than allowing a choice or opportunity to other hunters he is just closed minded.

VERY TRUE!!!

the point is for a new guy like me bowhunting looks hard and expensive, a xbow makes it cheaper and easier but at the same time gives a taste of bowhunting (close ranges ect) Just my thoughts

Biz. He has no interest in allowing it in archery. Rather than allowing a choice or opportunity to other hunters he is just closed minded.

I am not close minded. I stated that i can be persuaded with with the right answer and the only responses I've received have been that it's easier and that's why I want it legalized. From what I gather you all currently hunt with a bow anyhow.

I understand that their have been large improvements in the bow since it was used by the English and Native Americans centuries ago. That being said the concept has still remained the same.

I've always viewed archery as a season for those truly dedicated to the sport. It takes time, patience and dedication to kill ANY deer with a bow. It's a SPECIAL season for archery hunters. Those that believe in the challenge and have the perseverance to work for the satisfying bow kill. I am in no way insinuating that any of you advocating for the use of the xbow are not dedicated competent hunters. But my fear is that the sport will take a great hit if an easier and superior instrument is legalized. I believe it drives people to buy an xbow and soon enough archery hunters will be a dying breed. Why would one not want to use a xbow? We all want rifles, scopes on our guns, rifled barrels etc. Why? to increase our odds. Some however enjoyed the idea of the traditional muzzleloader hunt, so they made a season for it. One where all hunters were equally matched so that it was a level playing field. It doesn't stop you from hunting with a muzzleloader during regular season but it does stop the semiautomatic shotgun hunter from hunting during late season. They have already decreased the length of the archery season. Gun season is plenty long. You have had and should continue to have your opportunity to hunt with an xbow during regular and late season. Why do you need/want more? I dont know... there's just something primal about a bow and arrow and myself and others would like it kept that way.

VERY TRUE!!!

the point is for a new guy like me bowhunting looks hard and expensive, a xbow makes it cheaper and easier but at the same time gives a taste of bowhunting (close ranges ect) Just my thoughts

xbows being cheaper than a compound is a fallacy. Both instruments have low and high end models. And you should never shy away from something because it looks hard Joe. That's the whole point. If it was easy everyone would do it. It's a real accomplishment when you become proficient at bow hunting. Americans are moving more and more towards the instant gratification, trophies for everyone mentality and it shows with our work ethic, education rankings and unemployment rates when compared to other nations. You should never avoid something because its challenging. Some of the best rewards in life are obtained from conquering something that once seemed unattainable. Be it running a marathon, building a 700hp car, a black belt in karate, a master degree or an archery kill. As a young buck you should set some short term obtainable goals and some long term goals that seem to be almost impossible to achieve. Work towards them. That's the fun part.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

bowhunters are always buying new rests, sights, strings, ect ect ect xbows dont have that cost

only out of choice. I hunted for 5 seasons with a higher end matthews switchback i bought used off ebay. bought a dozen arrows and a release. It wasn't till last year that i bought new arrows and a dropaway rest. not because it was broken but because i wanted to.

I am not close minded. I stated that i can be persuaded with with the right answer and the only responses I've received have been that it's easier and that's why I want it legalized. From what I gather you all currently hunt with a bow anyhow.

I understand that their have been large improvements in the bow since it was used by the English and Native Americans centuries ago. That being said the concept has still remained the same.

I've always viewed archery as a season for those truly dedicated to the sport. It takes time, patience and dedication to kill ANY deer with a bow. It's a SPECIAL season for archery hunters. Those that believe in the challenge and have the perseverance to work for the satisfying bow kill. I am in no way insinuating that any of you advocating for the use of the xbow are not dedicated competent hunters. But my fear is that the sport will take a great hit if an easier and superior instrument is legalized. I believe it drives people to buy an xbow and soon enough archery hunters will be a dying breed. Why would one not want to use a xbow? We all want rifles, scopes on our guns, rifled barrels etc. Why? to increase our odds. Some however enjoyed the idea of the traditional muzzleloader hunt, so they made a season for it. One where all hunters were equally matched so that it was a level playing field. It doesn't stop you from hunting with a muzzleloader during regular season but it does stop the semiautomatic shotgun hunter from hunting during late season. They have already decreased the length of the archery season. Gun season is plenty long. You have had and should continue to have your opportunity to hunt with an xbow during regular and late season. Why do you need/want more? I dont know... there's just something primal about a bow and arrow and myself and others would like it kept that way.

But yet again you are pushing your views on others. No one is saying YOU have to use one. I thik it would be a great gateway instrument into the archery season. If the numbers stay the same or go up for ALL members participating in the archery season, I don't see the harm whatever they are using. Crossbows will make bowhunters (with long or compund) a dying breed? Come on.

As far as crossbows in gun season beingenough and why would they want more? You can't possibly ask that with a straight face. why don't most bowhunters hunt with their bow during gun season? the answer is the same. Those opposing this have yet to show me an argument that is not focused around the a "concern for them" . Crossbows in archery season won't change my odds or experiece one bit(other than maybe being able to enjoy it with my Father again). It is selfcentered to assert otherwise.

I have a question for you. Have you ever fished? When you were first taken fishing what type of fishing did you do and for what species?

with a kids rod. a worm and dropped it off a dock for sunfish and bass. And yes i have graduated to down riggers and planter boards. We're never going to come to agreement on this. I will just state again that I believe that archery season should be for bow and arrow only. It's what it was always originally intended to be. I would never disagree with your father hunting with you with an xbow during archery. And yes I do believe the xbow will slowly phase out the bow. Like someone said earlier, i saw the xbow on walking dead and I'd rather try that. the youth will phase it out just like our generation phased out the recurve.

Where is this?

they moved opening day up to Saturday instead of Monday then 5 years later tacked on a few lousy mosquito fighting weeks.

Edited by Belo

My point on the fishing is he took you to do something you had a very reasonable chance of being successful at. A flyfishing only catch and release streem might not be the best activity to introduce anyone new to the sport with. The majority of 12 year olds (heck meny into their teens) need to taste the siccess to keep interested. I have alwasy had a passion for hunting but didn't get into bow intil I was 18. My father didni't bow hunt until I did. I spent 4 years until I do my first deer with it. I think we may be missing som opportunities with the new entrants.

So since you say we won't agree and I am all for it I guess you are not for it? Based on not finding a magic word or phrase on this thread? Lets not BS. You have had your mid made up on this from the start. At least man up and admitt that.

I haven't seen one crossbow post wanting the archery season for only their use. I haven't seen anyone wanting to use a crossbow talking about how the other bow hunters would ruin their hunts. Tying the term :elitist" to crossbow is beyond a stretch.

But isnt that how it goes for those arriving to the party late? It's always the case where those that haave something to lose wants exclusive and those entering the scene late wants a piece of the pie.

My point on the fishing is he took you to do something you had a very reasonable chance of being successful at. A flyfishing only catch and release streem might not be the best activity to introduce anyone new to the sport with. The majority of 12 year olds (heck meny into their teens) need to taste the siccess to keep interested. I have alwasy had a passion for hunting but didn't get into bow intil I was 18. My father didni't bow hunt until I did. I spent 4 years until I do my first deer with it. I think we may be missing som opportunities with the new entrants.

So since you say we won't agree and I am all for it I guess you are not for it? Based on not finding a magic word or phrase on this thread? Lets not BS. You have had your mid made up on this from the start. At least man up and admitt that.

i believe i've made it very clear in many threads how i feel about it. But I'm a reasonable person. I've changed my views on many things before. My point is that "fundamentally" you and I see crossbows differently. It's like politics. I've disagreed with some issues and stance my party has taken on minor issues, but fundamentally when it comes to economics i'm a conservative. However, I've relaxed some prior opinions i've had on immigration, gay marriage and abortion. How did this happen? I've seen the view of the other side through age, maturity and experience and debate.

In fact, I'll give you this. Your comment about having success is an excellent point for your team. I'll buy that a positive for xbow. So maybe we throw youth into the disabled and elderly club? I still worry this deters them from learning to bow hunt and so I will counter that we have introduced the youth hunt and decreased the age for gun hunting. In high school I played 3 sports and did not have the time to devote to learning archery as my father was a firm believer in being proficient with the weapon you use. So I only gun hunted, and only several weekends a year till I graduated college. It was then I was finally able to take up the bow and the love I have for bow hunting is not surpassed by any of my other hobbies.

My last point makes me wonder how many veteran bow hunters want to see crossbows and not as a result of disability or age. Many veteran bow hunters i know outside my family feel the same as me.

Must be the circles we each run in, becasue I don't know any bow hunters personally that oppose their introduction. Not to sound like an old record but whatever archery equipment someone chooses to use in archery season will have zero impact on my hunting experience.

as far as the politics. I have heard that speech before too. " I am fiscal conservative but am liberal on social issues" LOL. you can't subsidise the latter and be the former.

they moved opening day up to Saturday instead of Monday then 5 years later tacked on a few lousy mosquito fighting weeks.

NYB mentality at its best. They actually ADDED 2 weeks onto bow season, yet in a NYB members opinion, they shortened it. No wonder I have to laugh everytime I talk to you on this subject.

If and when xbows are allowed into archery season, they'll be the next NYB attitude of keep out the "other" weapon. That's just how things progress in an interest group.

Uhhhhh, what exactly is the other form of archery equipment you are referring to here? Long bows and crossbows are all there is as far as I know. Please, enlighten me.

Sorry dad, can't find it. Please teach me your ways.

I find it hilarious that when I express my opinions on the subject I'm forcing my beliefs on others, although it seems you're allowed to criticize our current policies and tradition and want to change the way we experience archery today based on your opinions. So who is really imposing their beliefs on the other here? Am I advocating taking away your current ability to hunt with a crossbow or are you asking to change the New York archery season as it currently stands?

So why not open it up to rifles also? You can still use your crossbow if you want... no one would make you switch. Are you jealous that the rifle hunters would kill all of "your" deer? Why exactly should I have to use a bow or crossbow if I want to use a rifle? Why not just have one open season where you can use whatever you want? Your argument makes NO SENSE.

Awwww, poor dbone. I apparently touched a nerve. It would be nice if you could actually answer my questions instead of being silly. You are very defensive for some reason. Sorry I "PO'd you off", but shouldn't I be the one that's pissed? After all, you're the one telling me what to use, I'm saying use what you want!

To me (please read those two words carefully, it implies that what is coming is my opinion) archery season is about quiet woods, calm deer, close contact with them, no hearing protection and warm(er) weather. An xbow changes NONE of what archery season is to me. I'm having trouble seeing what it is that YOU like about archery season that my use of an xbow will change. So let me try wording it this way: If I have an xbow and you have a compound, how is that different from us both having a compound? What part of archery season have i messed up? Please remember when answering that it's YOUR CHOICE to use a compound because you prefer it.

So here, I'll go first using YOUR rifles/xbow example. Lets assume I prefer my xbow over my .243 for some reason. I don't want rifles allowed during archery because it ruins the quiet woods and the calm deer. Those two things are important to me, and if you choose a rifle while I'm using my xbow, MY hunting experience is changed in a very negative way. Please help me to see how my use of an xbow during archery season affects YOUR hunting experience in a negative way.

To hear some of your responses, hunting is competitive. Like it's hunter vs hunter and we have to have a "level playing field." What? For me hunting isn't me vs other hunters, it's the personal challenge of me vs the deer. I thought we were all on the same "team." Maybe that's the difference? Because I have the perceived "better" tool I might somehow "beat" you? Is that it? Yes, I'm fishing here, trying to understand. Please help me out.

Look, I'm really not trying to piss anyone off...well, maybe dbone (just kidding!) :-)...I'm simply trying to understand the argument that xbows shouldn't be allowed in archery season.

Zhe Wiz