Crossbow Debate 2013...

BizCT

Nothing wrong with encouraging people to do just that. But why not give them the ability to make the choice.

They would have a choice right? If they choose to use a crossbow they could use it during regular season. I read the bill and the reason for the bill is for hunter recruitment. I don't see how a crossbow will encourage more people to hunt over using a bow or rifle. Unless they mean recruit more people into archery season by giving them something easy to shoot. I agree that would increase the amount of archery tags sold, but if people want to hunt with a crossbow they could have last season.

I meant choice during archery season. there are many out there (some that I know personally) that would hunt archery season if crossbows were legal.

That is my take too. The goal is to simply increase archery tag sales by making it easy to hunt during archery season. All you need to know is how to look down the sites and pull the trigger. It's kind of disappointing that there won't be any benefit for those that actually put the time in to get proficient with a bow.

It's kind of disappointing that there won't be any benefit for those that actually put the time in to get proficient with a bow.

See I don't agree with that. That is the culture the whole industry and our nation is wrapped up in. Why should however anyone else hunts or choices they make be any relfection on the effort we put forth. We can't let someone elses hunt determine how we feel about our choices. That is why all the protests against the rich this past year. be satisfied with your own choice and efforts. It is up to the other guy to be happy with theirs. If they want to practice just one day and spend 4 hours in the woods and shoot the first deet through that happens to be a button buck, and they choose to do it with a crossbow, It won't have any impact on my season or my effort. As long as the choices are legal I say have at it.

If they want to practice just one day and spend 4 hours in the woods and shoot the first deet through that happens to be a button buck, and they choose to do it with a crossbow, It won't have any impact on my season or my effort. As long as the choices are legal I say have at it.

I agree, but they can do that during regular season too. Maybe we should let people hunt with these during archery also.

inline-flyer-1s.jpg

I wiouldn't have a problem with them being used during srchery. Are you against hunters being allowed to use crossbows during archery season?

I'm not sure I've decided yet. I think it might be good because it will increase the numbers and maybe lead to a longer archery season (I'm northern zone), but I don't really like the idea of it because to me it isn't a bow and I think it will discourage people from taking up traditional archery. Getting to hunt those 3 or 4 extra weeks is a big reason people learn to shoot a bow, and once they get into it they find out they really enjoy it. If they know they can just buy a crossbow we may lose some of that. I'm old fashioned though and hunt with a recurve.

The fact that it is cocked and loaded I think is a big advantage too. How many times have you been busted when you go to draw back on an animal? Being able to stay still and simply pull the trigger is definitely an advantage the way I see it. Maybe the law should say they can't cock and load it until ready to shoot. :biggrin:

My original post was just asking why the push to get them in archery? They had 8 weeks to legally use them last year (northern zone). Wasn't that enough? Of course you can use a vertical bow during regular season too.

Edited by d-bone20917

My original post was just asking why the push to get them in archery? They had 8 weeks to legally use them last year. Wasn't that enough? Of course you can use a vertical bow during regular season too.

that was going to be my next question...lol. Does the cross bow offer an advantage over the compound. I think it does and some may actually need that advantage to participate in Archery.Kind of like the compound offered an advantage over the primative bows. The compound sure has more in common with a compound that it does with stick bows when you consider things like ballistics.

I know many disagree but I can't see putting more boots on the gound during any season as a bad thing for the sport. there are 3 categories I think this might entice. injured or handicapped hunters, youth and females.

that was going to be my next question...lol. Does the cross bow offer an advantage over the compound. I think it does and some may actually need that advantage to participate in Archery.Kind of like the compound offered an advantage over the primative bows. The compound sure has more in common with a compound that it does with stick bows when you consider things like ballistics.

I know many disagree but I can't see putting more boots on the gound during any season as a bad thing for the sport. there are 3 categories I think this might entice. injured or handicapped hunters, youth and females.

So limit crossbows during archery to those 3 categories?

Why not just make it simple? Dont you think the laws are complicated enough as they are? Crossbows dont have much of an advantage over a vertical bow anyway, and they have some disadvantages as well. They kill in the same manor, at the same distances, and are already another form of archery equipment, so whats the big deal? You still have to get close enough to the deer, which is half or more of the game in archery hunting.

Also, think about this. There are bunches of people out there each year, that do not practice properly with their bow, they dont put the time in, they dont practice real world type shots (out of elevated positions, etc) and take bad shots on deer, wounding them, losing them, etc. They have lots of reasons for not putting the time in, some are just too busy with family, work, etc, and others are just lazy. Rather than have them out there wounding deer, I would rather see them have a form of archery tackle that will allow them a better chance at making a good shot.

• Like 2

I have permanent side effects from my recent battle with cancer, and couldn't hunt at all in 2012 cause of being sick. The crossbow is only way I can be able to hunt this year due to my limitations I won't get into, but lets just get these bills passed in Albany and move on. It will let alot of people be able to hunt again who otherwise wouldn't have that chance.

• Like 1

.......... If they want to practice just one day and spend 4 hours in the woods and shoot the first deet through that happens to be a button buck, and they choose to do it with a crossbow, It won't have any impact on my season or my effort. As long as the choices are legal I say have at it.

Bingo! The actual root ot the anti-Xbow arguement. Infringing on their time in the woods and opportunities on their deer. Don't recall this much controversy when in-line ML were allowed in the SZ regular season or compound bows included during bow season or now the introduction of rifles in certain areas of the SZ during regular season. Just something about the mentality of diehard bow hunters I don't understand...? BTW -Love my bow hunting & have for 40+ years, but I don't feel I have any exclusive rights to any season or specific deer.

Maybe we should let people hunt with these during archery also.

inline-flyer-1s.jpg

How in the world do you think this is different than a Xbow??????

• Like 1

You still have to get close enough to the deer, which is half or more of the game in archery hunting.

Getting close isn't as hard as being able to get the shot off without being seen. Crossbows have a huge advantage here because there is little to no movement involved. It is just like shooting a gun but with a shorter range.

Also, think about this. There are bunches of people out there each year, that do not practice properly with their bow, they dont put the time in, they dont practice real world type shots (out of elevated positions, etc) and take bad shots on deer, wounding them, losing them, etc. They have lots of reasons for not putting the time in, some are just too busy with family, work, etc, and others are just lazy. Rather than have them out there wounding deer, I would rather see them have a form of archery tackle that will allow them a better chance at making a good shot.

So lets make hunting easier for the people that don't want to put in any effort? A lot of deer get wounded for the same reason during the firearms season don't they? This will increase the number of people in the woods during archery which will ultimately lead to more wounded critters.

You keep saying yuo are on the fence and haven't made up your mind but it sure sounds contrary to that.

I just don't agree with a lot of the reasons people are saying they should be allowed. I do agree fully with what you said in an earlier post that it should be allowed for the disabled and youth or anyone that just can't hunt with a vertical bow for any reason. I'm not buying the argument that it will reduce the amount of wounded animals or increase the overall number of hunters. I also don't buy the argument that it isn't an advantage either.

This new law is nothing I would oppose, but it is also nothing I plan to support. I guess I'm neutral on it. Maybe if more people get involved in hunting during the archery season we could get a longer season in the northern zone. Really I'm just a selfish prick that doesn't want other people to shoot my deer. :biggrin:

Getting close isn't as hard as being able to get the shot off without being seen. Crossbows have a huge advantage here because there is little to no movement involved. It is just like shooting a gun but with a shorter range.

Nonsense. You still have to bring the crossbow up to a firing position. It requires almost as much movement, and the crossbow is bulkier and more cumbersome than most compound bows.

So lets make hunting easier for the people that don't want to put in any effort? A lot of deer get wounded for the same reason during the firearms season don't they? This will increase the number of people in the woods during archery which will ultimately lead to more wounded critters.

LMAO, way to spin it, but you are missing the point. The guys that put in little effort are already out there, and arent going to stop. Why not give them a better chance at making a good shot.

Its pretty evident that you already have your mind made up on the issue. Why dance around it?

If I misinterpreted this paragraph please let me know how.