Piebald Deer

WNYBuckHunter

Aren't piebalds just incredible?  They are unique in color and personality!  There is one is Erie County that everyone is seeing and some in Wyoming County.

I happen to raise white-tailed deer and love my whites and piebalds!  Piebalds are unusual and not always a given.  Just because one or both of the breeding pair is a piebald doesn't mean their fawns will be though they will carry the gene.  I have found they have more personalable personalities and are very talkative.  Lots of pics on http://www.NorthernWhitetail.com of brown, white and piebald whitetails.

post-95-131455289902_thumb.jpg

This is a piebald that we had on our trail camera.  He was around for 2 seasons and we havent seen him since middle of bow season last year.  I have seen a few in that area. One was a doe that was very blochy like a cow.

post-46-131455289905_thumb.jpg

I had a 6 pointer sneak up behind me two years ago, but I couldn't get a shot off with the bow. Not a big rack, but it was cool to see.

It either had offspring with the same trait or it was an older buck going down hill as i got trail camera pics of a small racked piebald the following year in the same area, but I never saw while I was in the stand.

I read something once that said that all deer carry the gene for white coloration or the mottled brown and white condition of being a piebald. However the gene is highly recessive. I never heard what it is that brings that gene into dominance in some individual deer.

Doc

when I first started bow hunting at 14 years old there where two yearlings running around were i hunt by Montgomery. I stuck one of them with the arrow but lost the blood trial do to a heavy rain storm that came in. I was hoping to get one to match the one my father had killed in the early 80's which he taned it. I will try to get a pic of the piebald hide.

I read something once that said that all deer carry the gene for white coloration or the mottled brown and white condition of being a piebald. However the gene is highly recessive. I never heard what it is that brings that gene into dominance in some individual deer.

Doc

Remember folks, yes piebald are neat to look at but piebald genetics are a defect and are NOT something that you want in a deer herd.  If you see one you see one during seer season you should try to remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all just seen a Piebald tonight. 7/2 (almost pure White) whitetail Buck in Walden, NY to night. So cool. And nice horns forming too. Wide 4 pointer. All white but the hair between its horns. Its noise was are pink color also..... Didn't get time to take out my camara though.

Doc

Remember folks, yes piebald are neat to look at but piebald genetics are a defect and are NOT something that you want in a deer herd.  If you see one you see one during seer season you should try to remove it.

Besides, who the heck wants to see a deer that looks more like a goat than a deer ....... lol. shoot the dang thing.

Doc

At my buddies camp on black lake, there has been a piebald doe there for about 4 years.  She is seen regularly.  He is of the opinion that shooting her wol be bad luck, so she remains safe. I saw her last weekend when I went over to visit.  It is like you know the good weather is here when you see her. She is almost all white and the brown liks like a saddle on her back.  I have also seen two true albono pink eyes and all.