Ever try these?

PREDATE

The buds from Tiger Lillies, also called Day Lillies. They are yummy and they do taste like asparagus!

Saute the green unopened buds in a little butter! Delish!!!!!

bud_zps76cc4ee6.jpg

There are alot of wild edibles that I'll try soon. The next one I'm gonna try will be Fiddlehead fern tops.

The lilly buds are one of my faves thus far and they are not hard to locate!! lol

I have never tried these. I have had cattail root and bud. Indian cucumber root and I have eaten the fiddleheads. including things to make teas there are many edibles in the NY woods.

Almost forgot Burdock. Our chance to get back at the species for all the hours picking things off the clothes. B)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I've had fiddlehead ferns and dandelion greens...I'll have to try the tiger lillies.

Never tried burdock, although I know some locals who eat it.

Milkweed is another good asparagus substitute. Cut the shoots when they first come up..You need to blanch them in water, then change the water and finish cooking them, or they will be bitter.

I think you have to plant them in your manicured flower beds for the taste to be desirable. At least that is what the deer choose. Let them grow wild, deer don't touch them, try to plant them around the house, deer mow them down.

The ones(lillies) I had were out of my grandmas flower bed, but they were transplanted from wild ones and come up every year.

The dirt in her wildflower beds differs none from surrounding native soil.

I love dandelion greens, especially sauteed in a bit of olive oil, then drizzle some balsamic vinegar over them. Better than spinach and probably better for you.

Can you guys give me any tips for selecting/cooking fiddleheads? I know the small tightly rolled ones are preferred, but isn't there a layer that needs to be removed?

My yearly go-round with the cattails in the pond kinda turns me off of them. I've probably yanked thousands of them over the years. I do know that flour can be made with the dried root.

I may have to give the burdock a try. I'm hoping to find some wild horseradish this year too so I can transplant some on the farm.

You like asparagus...try collecting cattail pollen and adding it to your biscuit or pancake mix...asparagus flavored flap jacks...YUK!

That's pretty funny!

I think I'll stick to sweet cream butter and a touch of maple syrup on my hot cakes.

I can't get enough asparagus, but texture is half of it. I don't think the pollen will do it.

Found a few patches of wild chives the other day. They were only 3" tall. I'm gonna transplant some.

Cheddar & chive biscuits! Yum