Do a Little Dance

Five Seasons

Besides the benefits for the disabled who are not physically capable of pulling back a vertical bow, why hunt with a crossbow? My guess would be because it is easier to shoot accurately at a slightly longer target (I have never shot a crossbow which is why that statement is only a guess) . If my guess is accurate, I can understand the concern of those against them during bow of guys grabbing a crossbow and heading to the field without spending the time perfecting their craft. This is not to say that there are not bowhunters out there who don't act similarly, but it seems that the crossbow offers an easier end which would require less practice.

Besides the benefits for the disabled who are not physically capable of pulling back a vertical bow, why hunt with a crossbow? My guess would be because it is easier to shoot accurately at a slightly longer target (I have never shot a crossbow which is why that statement is only a guess) . If my guess is accurate, I can understand the concern of those against them during bow of guys grabbing a crossbow and heading to the field without spending the time perfecting their craft. This is not to say that there are not bowhunters out there who don't act similarly, but it seems that the crossbow offers an easier end which would require less practice.

Why not shoot a crossbow? Its just like saying if you are healthy and capable of shooting a vertical bow, why choose a compound over a recurve? When you boil it down, it is all about whatever style floats one's boat. You dont like crossbows, then dont shoot one, simple as that.

• Like 1

The disabled arguement holds no water in my eyes number 1 its not your right to hunt It's a Privliege, 2 people climb mountains with no legs soone with a sore shoulder can learn to shoot lefty or do what ever.

Your argument makes no sense.

I killed a snake with just a stick once. So does that mean we should hunt with just a stick?

Soon, we will all have the "privilege" of being able to choose between Recurve, Traditional, Compound, or Crossbow during the archery season. You pick what you want, and I'll pick what I want.

BELO --

In regards to this:

"and if you're hunting public land or shared private land, taking a precious vacation day, up early and scent free in your favorite spot enjoying the sun rise and some clown comes traipsing through the woods with his crossbow, orange hat and smoking a cigarette it wont bother you? Because what I'm describing to you is an actual experience I had during gun season, but has never once happened to me during bow season."

I am coming for you!!!! HAHA

honestly, you're no better than the turkey gun hunters or squirrel hunters in the fall then. Nothing illegal about doing any of these activities, but us bowhunters only have a few "good" weeks a year to do what we want, and you can hunt your small game during much longer seasons that don't interfere with the deer hunters. So if you feel you're being respectful of other hunters by hunting small game during deer season you go right ahead. I know I'd never be that guy. I realize not everyone hunts deer and what not, but there used to be this thing called "common courtesy for your fellow man" guess those days are gone and the days of "i can do what I want and you're not the boss of me" are well and alive...

honestly, you're no better than the turkey gun hunters or squirrel hunters in the fall then. Nothing illegal about doing any of these activities, but us bowhunters only have a few "good" weeks a year to do what we want, and you can hunt your small game during much longer seasons that don't interfere with the deer hunters. So if you feel you're being respectful of other hunters by hunting small game during deer season you go right ahead. I know I'd never be that guy. I realize not everyone hunts deer and what not, but there used to be this thing called "common courtesy for your fellow man" guess those days are gone and the days of "i can do what I want and you're not the boss of me" are well and alive...

Ahhhhhh, there it is. But I am the anti hunter, right? You try to insinuate that I dont want people hunting in this place or that, etc.

You sir, are the poster child for hunters that are bad for our sport. You are the type that gives us a bad name.

• Like 3

believe what you wish. I know I'm not alone. My neighbors know we bowhunt and they respect it so they don't shoot their guns during bow season. Nothing says they have to do this other than common courtesy. Would you really be all happy and fine if your neighbor was squirrel and turkey hunting next door when you were bowhunting? He has all spring for turkey and all winter for squirrel. I don't view it as anti-hunter. it's just respecting others. I turn down my 1320watt stereo when I go through towns, I don't crank my music at night, I don't mow my lawn real early in the morning. I don't rev my motorcycle in my driveway and I don't shoot my guns during bow season. Of course maybe you're related to my neighbor who just lets his 2 yip yip dogs bark all day and prevents me from enjoying a beer on my deck. Talked to him about it, and his response is that he can't stop them from barking and maybe I should put up a fence? You're that guy aren't you?

Nothing wrong with sharing the woods, but you don't have to be a dick.

Edited by Belo

I tell you what belo, I have no problem with any other sportsmen hunting the species they enjoy to hunt while Im bowhunting. As long as they arent trespassing, they have as much right to legally hunt as I do. Its all part of the game, and if you are so selfish that you call other hunters bad, etc because they may disturb your hunt, then you are about as low as they come.

We have a bunch of different people that hunt the farms I do, and I occasionally hunt state land. Ive had rabbit hunters shoot the breeze with me while Im in my stand. No biggie, I dont freak out on them or cal them names. I chat with them and thats that. As long as they arent purposely harassing me, theres no issue.

You need to get off your high horse.

BELO --

In regards to this:

"and if you're hunting public land or shared private land, taking a precious vacation day, up early and scent free in your favorite spot enjoying the sun rise and some clown comes traipsing through the woods with his crossbow, orange hat and smoking a cigarette it wont bother you? Because what I'm describing to you is an actual experience I had during gun season, but has never once happened to me during bow season."

I am coming for you!!!! HAHA

I was deer hunting in PA when I shot that porcupine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I tell you what belo, I have no problem with any other sportsmen hunting the species they enjoy to hunt while Im bowhunting. As long as they arent trespassing, they have as much right to legally hunt as I do. Its all part of the game, and if you are so selfish that you call other hunters bad, etc because they may disturb your hunt, then you are about as low as they come.

We have a bunch of different people that hunt the farms I do, and I occasionally hunt state land. Ive had rabbit hunters shoot the breeze with me while Im in my stand. No biggie, I dont freak out on them or cal them names. I chat with them and thats that. As long as they arent purposely harassing me, theres no issue.

You need to get off your high horse.

I never called anyone a bad hunter, i said it's disrespectful. If you don't mind taking a day off of work and getting up at 4:30 only to have your hunt ruined by a rabbit hunter than that's fine. I value my time in the woods. Mostly because it's peaceful time alone. I don't want to hear dogs chasing rabbits or guys talking. It's peaceful time for me in a tree and why i truly enjoy archery vs gun. If i want to chat with other hunters I'll go to the towny bar.

Once again belo, if u don't like sharing with others then go buy your own land and patrol it.<br /><br />Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

i've stated many times i hunt hundreds of private acres owned by my family. But I know not all are as fortunate, and I believe crossbows will be detrimental as generally it invites a different type of hunter into the woods. I'm not the only person to say this so stop attacking me personally.

Edited by Belo

doesn't fall turkey season run the same as Archery, Oct 1st till the day before regular gun season? you expect fall turkey hunters to give up their season? that's laughable.

the more I read that statement, the more I'm blown away, for you to even suggest that one hunter is entitled to the hunting woods more than another is beyond comprehension....any sensible statement you ever made on here is totally forgotten by that one statement...what a douche.

• Like 1

I understand the frustrations of having a deer hunt busted by human interuptions. In fact where I hunt you can add in mountain bikers and hikers into the possible interuptions. It's not a happy event for sure but unless you have complete control of your hunting lands (lease, ownership, or family/friend owned), it is something that just happens. It's not a question of anybody being disrespectful of each other. It's more of a situation where we have all kinds of land uses competing for the same piece of land. It hasn't always been that way. Years ago before the bloom of posted signs and infinite property divisions, you could have all these people and never know they were out there. they were all dispersed into a thin almost transparent group of people. However, leasing and posting have concentrated a lot of people onto state lands, and I have seen situations that could actually be termed "crowded" hunting conditions. Yes, that does lead to busted hunts, broken deer patterns and some severe frustrations. It has nothing to do with dis-respect, it is just an unfortunate evolution of land use and hunter concentrations. There are ways to position yourself where these problems aren't as likely to happen and where the day-light deer patterns are still relatively un-disturbed. That really is the only solution, and even then there will occasionally be a busted hunt. It has all simply become part of the game. It's unlikely to ever improve, so the only real solution is to adapt. Sure, you can complain about it (probably a natural reaction), but the reality is that it won't really do any good because the situation is not going to get better and in fact is far more likely to get worse as the years go on.

• Like 1

the more I read that statement, the more I'm blown away, for you to even suggest that one hunter is entitled to the hunting woods more than another is beyond comprehension....any sensible statement you ever made on here is totally forgotten by that one statement...what a douche.

Waahhhhh!

Douche...

Years ago when hunting land was abundant in NY state what you hunted with wouldn't have been much of an issue. But today with development and land greed having taken the helm every little issue is now scrutinized as how it could effect my deer hunting. I do truly understand the anti crossbow crowds concerns because once something is changed its really hard to change it back hence Cuomos safe act etc. Wether good or bad there is that fear of the unknown and most people would just rather not venture there. I have my opinions on crossbows and already own a couple and have hunted P.A. for the last 2 years with them but I do understand the concerns of NY hunters who don't want crossbows here. After all hunting to me and most on this forum is one of the biggest and most important things in our lives. Hunting rates very close to home and family for me...

I have only hunted public land 3 times several years ago. The incident actually occurred on private land and the guy was trespassing. I have never seen this during bow season as I know little to no bowhunters who stalk and stomp about. I am not ignorant enough to believe it doesn't happen, but can we all agree it's more prevalent during gun? So, if you're really going to sit here and pretend there is not a general difference between bowhunter and weekend gun hunter then I'm not sure we can keep talking. I know little to no weekend bow hunters. Those that I know who bowhunt take it very seriously. I know very serious gun hunters too, but I also know plenty of "deer camp" gun hunters who have little respect for the guy on the land next door or understanding of what a posted sign means. There are always the exception to the case, but for arguments sakes lets remove the outliers.

I don't want this hunter in archery season. I'm not ashamed to say it. Regular and late season are plenty long enough for this type of hunter to get their time in the woods. Why must they now have more opportunity to clown around pretending to be Daryl? This is thread number 302 on crossbows, and still nobody has told me why crossbows will be a good thing for NY. If you want more deer taken, crossbows do not achieve that. Your bow/mz stamp is still in affect. Your number of dmp's are still the same, the late season is still there for you to take a buck and some doe with your smoke pole.

I have made my positions clear several times on why I believe they will be detrimental to the season as we now know it. And the best I've heard in response is that I'm selfish, elitist and who am I to decide the weapon you're allowed to use. That's just it right? You want to be able to use it and you just don't like being told you cant. Human nature is to crave the thing we cant have isn't it? Use it during regular and late for all I care. You'll not hear a peep out of me.

Finally, what about all the bowhunters who don't have the luxury of private land? Screw them because your solution is to not hunt public land? Now who's anti-hunter?

I got your back on this one. Not a fan of oxbow in archery season.

I got your back on this one. Not a fan of oxbow in archery season.

No need to get anyone's back, its just an internet forum with folks giving opinions. We're not in a bar room or back alley getting ready for a slugfest. Just stop for one second and look around, you are more than likely in your bathrobe or sweats with your slippers on and with your wife watching American Idol in the background, its all ok, breath in slowly and deeply close your eyes and exhale thru your fingertips slooooowly.

See no one's trying to hurt you....

• Like 1