2013 Prep work? What are you doing to prep for the 2013 Hunting Season?

burmjohn

Prep work for this season? Hmmm I haven't done anything yet. I do plan on getting some cams out very soon and I have 1 stand I want to put up in a spot that's a natural funnel for every big buck I have ever seen in this piece of woods I hunt. Every year I say I'm getting in here and every year I go further n further into the woods. I already did my pruning and lane clearing at this new tree in December so alls I have to do is hang a stand, fine tune the lanes and get a cam hung. I don't have much to do...

I appreciate you posting your thoughts/tactics. One thing I find different is that you want a fresh stand, yet you don't always hunt the wind. So you sometimes hunt the wind but sometimes don't? Just because it is the rut? What's the value of a fresh stand when you don't hunt the wind?

What's worse? Hunting a stand two days in a row in a funnel that has prime entry and exit access with the wind in the stand's favor? (IE a hard break, such as a crek, edge, etc.)? Or, hunting a fresh stand with the wind blowing into the bedding?

you need to stop assuming that by one statement I make, that is all I do. I have 10 stands on 60 acres in 8f and another 15 on 100+ in 7J. Generally I can pick a fresh stand with the wind in my favor. Sometimes I'll go back to the same stand if the activity the day before was good, or perhaps I'll pick a nearby stand that might have been a better choice for the activity. But I do not like hunting the same stand several days in a row and when the wind and activity is right, I like that I can hit a stand that might be fresh or untouched for weeks. I guess I wasn't clear enough about mixing tactics based on a variety of variables. If there was only one way to hunt there'd be no need to have magazines, tv shows, books and forums. But there are many ways to go about it. I don't disagree with hunting buck beds in the fall I just don't believe scouting them in the spring will pay off, but I'll give you that i've never tried it either.

Edited by Belo

I didn't believe it either, untill I started killing 3.5+ bucks with regularity (for lack of a better word short term).

I killed my NY buck less than 50-75 steps from his bed in three hours on October 1. When do you think I found it? Post season scouting in Feb-April. Same went for 2010, except it was nearer the end of October. 2012 would have been the case, too, but he ended up getting shot by a large landholding neighbor the morning after I had him in my sights. In each case, that buck was originating from a bed or going to one that I had identified the prior post-season scouting timeframe.

If you think scouting beds in the spring doesn't hold merit, you may want to reconsider....people like Infalt and D'Aquisto have darn near perfected the artform. Shoot, watch Infalt's youtube vid of him setting a Lone Wolf up 50 yards from a buck with the antlers darn near visible to whole time, all on public land, from a bed he found that spring. I thought it was a bunch of hooey...and then I realized I could do that too, and I have been.

I don't disagree with hunting buck beds in the fall I just don't believe scouting them in the spring will pay off, but I'll give you that i've never tried it either.

I guess I kind of go along with this too. I have never heard anyone say that a buck picks a bed for life .... or even for a year ... lol. The idea that the same bed is used over and over regardless of the time of year and circumstances of changing seasons and food sources really is very hard to swallow and does not hold up to my experiences and observations locally. Yes, they do re-use the same general area occasionally. But if it turned out that a buck was all that predictable, there wouldn't be a whole lot of them left. I suppose it is possible that habitat in some places is so limited that there may only be one spot in the buck's home range that is suitable for bedding and they have no choices, but that sure isn't the case where I do my hunting.

You aren't understanding it. A buck will likely use multiple beds. The key is to hunt the beds...eventually the buck will be in one of them as long as he is not tipped off.

You find the buck beds on your property, do your due dilligence scouting and figuring out the likely travel circuit, and kill the buck.

If you find a prime buck bed on your property, chances are that bed is going to be hot for several years to come unless there is a major factor in play. A buck will backfill the bed once the mature one/biggest/domanint one that occupied it before is gone.

A good example is the buck I posted pics of - he's bedding in a marsh just off ag land. He stopped bedding there once it froze. He moved to a transition area about 100 yards east where the water levels were lower and tree islands were still available. I found his sheds on the same 40 acres. He left that spot for about a month-and a half right at the worst of winter, and has since returned to his bedding in the marsh now that is is no longer frozen. I got a pic of him coming into the bedding on May 9. It's really not rocket science....his favorite bedding spots are well protected by satelite beds, darn near perfect wind defense, and he has a bit of vision over the one section that's approachable wind wise. He however, moves pretty reliable from E to the W or S each evening. This year, I suspect he'll be moving S early on based on the crop rotation and W as the corn comes into play. Based on his bed, there are stands set to intercept him with cross winds and prime stands for times when he makes that mistake of walking down those trails with a N or E wind.

Really not that hard of a concept to understand.

Edited by phade

You aren't understanding it. A buck will likely use multiple beds. The key is to hunt the beds...eventually the buck will be in one of them as long as he is not tipped off.

You find the buck beds on your property, do your due dilligence scouting and figuring out the likely travel circuit, and kill the buck.

If you find a prime buck bed on your property, chances are that bed is going to be hot for several years to come unless there is a major factor in play. A buck will backfill the bed once the mature one/biggest/domanint one that occupied it before is gone.

A good example is the buck I posted pics of - he's bedding in a marsh just off ag land. He stopped bedding there once it froze. He moved to a transition area about 100 yards east where the water levels were lower and tree islands were still available. I found his sheds on the same 40 acres. He left that spot for about a month-and a half right at the worst of winter, and has since returned to his bedding in the marsh now that is is no longer frozen. I got a pic of him coming into the bedding on May 9. It's really not rocket science....his favorite bedding spots are well protected by satelite beds, darn near perfect wind defense, and he has a bit of vision over the one section that's approachable wind wise. He however, moves pretty reliable from E to the W or S each evening. This year, I suspect he'll be moving S early on based on the crop rotation and W as the corn comes into play. Based on his bed, there are stands set to intercept him with cross winds and prime stands for times when he makes that mistake of walking down those trails with a N or E wind.

I really need to go scouting with you!

You really want to get wild...some of these guys really good at it stack deer off their beds to ones they know they can hunt easier. Imagine that...purposely going in and stinking up a bed to shoot the buck in another bed. I don't have the land access or cojones to do that yet.

Similar things are the bump and dump technique. Soft bumping a buck out of its bed, hanging the stand, and coming back early in the a.m. and killing the buck before it returns to its bed. Most people would think if you bump a buck from its bed, that it won't return right away...sort of a fool's tale really. That bed worked for them, they detected the danger and escaped unscathed. They return a bit cautious, and you obviously can't overdo it, but if you are stymied and at a last ditch effort (ie the end of a trip or season), it's a legit technique that can pay off.

I guess I kind of go along with this too. I have never heard anyone say that a buck picks a bed for life .... or even for a year ... lol. The idea that the same bed is used over and over regardless of the time of year and circumstances of changing seasons and food sources really is very hard to swallow and does not hold up to my experiences and observations locally. Yes, they do re-use the same general area occasionally. But if it turned out that a buck was all that predictable, there wouldn't be a whole lot of them left. I suppose it is possible that habitat in some places is so limited that there may only be one spot in the buck's home range that is suitable for bedding and they have no choices, but that sure isn't the case where I do my hunting.

I have a hard time believing they're bedding in the same area during the rut. They will certainly bed in the same area pre and post. I agree that for almost a year this buck is hanging out in the same spot is a hard pill to swallow, but again Phade I'll give you credit that if it has worked for you then congrats. Perhaps you can make me a believer with 2 more bed kills. 1 kill and then an "almost kill" can almost be construed as dumb luck.

I've tried to avoid the arguments and I believe we're keeping it civil so far, but in your last post you make is sound like you've been keeping a gps on this deer. 1 month he was here, then he left me a note when i scouted and on it he told me it was cold so he went over there. There must be a hundred deer on my property identifying who is who is no easy task. Are you taking dna hair samples and molds of his hoof prints? The hunters and techniques you reference don't fly with me. People need to promote shows, sells books and magazines. So they "claim" a lot. It's like golf or exercise magazines, you can only write so many articles about curing your slice before you start reaching for other methods. Want to get in shape? You dont need all the bells and  whistles. Run/swim, push ups, situps, pullups and diet. But damn... that doesn't sell a monthly magazine subscription does it? same all applies to hunting.

Edited by Belo

LOL, it's not some novice idea no unique to me. Plus, I don't need to convince you of all people...I just disagree with someone saying something doesn't work when they haven't tried it.

People literally have 30+ P&Y individually using this method. D'Aquisto has shot state records (or close to it I think)...Hayes has shot 3 200" deer with a bow using bed tactics....it's well proven, just not widely used.

And FTR, I've had 2 kills off beds in three seasons. The third should have happened, but oh well.

As bucks age, their core area shrinks...common knowledge. Think about it...did I say they were in one bed all year? No. Big difference.

Edited by phade

I have a hard time believing they're bedding in the same area during the rut. They will certainly bed in the same area pre and post. I agree that for almost a year this buck is hanging out in the same spot is a hard pill to swallow, but again Phade I'll give you credit that if it has worked for you then congrats. Perhaps you can make me a believer with 2 more bed kills. 1 kill and then an "almost kill" can almost be construed as dumb luck.

I've tried to avoid the arguments and I believe we're keeping it civil so far, but in your last post you make is sound like you've been keeping a gps on this deer. 1 month he was here, then he left me a note when i scouted and on it he told me it was cold so he went over there. There must be a hundred deer on my property identifying who is who is no easy task. Are you taking dna hair samples and molds of his hoof prints? The hunters and techniques you reference don't fly with me. People need to promote shows, sells books and magazines. So they "claim" a lot. It's like golf or exercise magazines, you can only write so many articles about curing your slice before you start reaching for other methods. Want to get in shape? You dont need all the bells and  whistles. Run/swim, push ups, situps, pullups and diet. But damn... that doesn't sell a monthly magazine subscription does it? same all applies to hunting.

Your last paragraph just shows you how much of a goober you are. Really, it does. You talk out both sides of your mouth, saying scouting has value, then when it's put together, you discount it like it is impossible to figure out a deer's habits. People pattern deer all the time.

As for the other comments about the industry - I'm not buying into any "system" pitch. These people have just used the tactics and excelled at it.

You remind of the "yeah, but" kind of person.

Edited by phade

Your last paragraph just shows you how much of a goober you are. Really, it does. You talk out both sides of your mouth, saying scouting has value, then when it's put together, you discount it like it is impossible to figure out a deer's habits. People pattern deer all the time.

As for the other comments about the industry - I'm not buying into any "system" pitch. These people have just used the tactics and excelled at it.

You remind of the "yeah, but" kind of person.

well if i'm a goober, you're the great white hunter.

-Belo out

Word to Nth degree.

well if i'm a goober, you're the great white hunter.

-Belo out

Not even worth it with him dude. Even when you agree with him he still goes on and on... Simply having a Conversation with him goes no where because he's so all about what he has to say that he fails to understand anyone else or take note to what anyone says unless it's something he can use against you. Id hate to have a convo with him in person, don't even want to wonder what that would be like. SMH...

Oh please...I help more people on this site than you can imagine. And, I have had some help from others here.

I read and comprehend quite well. Bottom line he knocks something he admits he has never tried.

Edited by phade

I'll be moving stands, clearing some new trails, and putting a couple food plots in. Corn and soybeans are nearly finished going in on the farm, so I should have some time to work on the food plots. Also need to build a new tower stand. So much work and so little time.

Interesting how this thread has gone .... lol. I suppose it was inevitable that it would eventually devolve into name calling. Surprisingly, it stayed as an actual conversation for a long time. By the way ..... What is a goober? Last I knew, it was a chocolate covered peanut.

I'll be moving stands, clearing some new trails, and putting a couple food plots in. Corn and soybeans are nearly finished going in on the farm, so I should have some time to work on the food plots. Also need to build a new tower stand. So much work and so little time.

Yes, getting back on topic ...... I have to say that most of what I am doing right now in preparation for the up-coming season is just maintaining my archery skills with a little rifle practice stirred in. This time of year is one of my busiest with yard clean-up and maintenance along with preparing and putting in a garden, and also some great fishing opportunities before the weeds and slime overtake some of my favorite fishin spots. So time is limited. Later on this summer, there will be a lot of trips up the hill and over by the creek to see just how the food sources are coming and what kinds of tracks and trail-use there is. I also will begin freshening up some of the traditional ground-blinds and looking for new spots. But a lot of that has to wait while I participate in some of my life that actually exists outside of deer hunting. Spring and summer ....... great time of year with a whole lot of non-hunting related things to do.

Phade I know a guy who uses this method i believe. He hunts in Bergen and he does pretty well as he is a rack hunter.

Interesting how this thread has gone .... lol. I suppose it was inevitable that it would eventually devolve into name calling. Surprisingly, it stayed as an actual conversation for a long time. By the way ..... What is a goober? Last I knew, it was a chocolate covered peanut.

Funny thing is that neither belo or me are really all that concerned with it. Hes said his and I've said mine on where we come from. Weve disagreed on plenty and agree on a fair amount.

Planting some apple trees today...all the buds are pinched just for you Geno. Suprisingly good stock from walmart of all places.

There are many different hunting styles out there ...I say hunt how u want as long ad you are hunting!

Prep work- way behind this year. This is the first year in a long time I didn't stick to my 10 yr management plan. Work, kids and bullcrap took my time.

Funny thing is that neither belo or me are really all that concerned with it. Hes said his and I've said mine on where we come from. Weve disagreed on plenty and agree on a fair amount.

Planting some apple trees today...all the buds are pinched just for you Geno. Suprisingly good stock from walmart of all places.

Funny you say that... I woke up in a bad dream sweating and breathing heavy that I should of pinched the blooms off. I threw the cover off at 2am ran outside pitch dark and pinched the 7 little blooms off. On the run out I asked myself, what would phade do and at the moment I knew I was doing the right thing...

Blooms are gone now I can finally sleep.

Oh by the way, was at Walmart yesterday and they had some very nice trees out and for only 20$ too

all i said that was that i was skeptical. Simply providing another view point. I suppose it bothers me when several members get all excited and grovel at your feet. Even if your tactics work for you, others should know that it doesn't always work that way. So many factors, not the least of which is location go into what "2013 prep work" will work for any one hunter. I guess I just dislike when any one persons opinion or thoughts on any subject on any forum is taken as gospel. We all have opinions and some of the newer and younger hunters shouldn't take any as gospel. So please don't get all huffy and puffy when I question one of yours.

Oh please...I help more people on this site than you can imagine. And, I have had some help from others here.

I read and comprehend quite well. Bottom line he knocks something he admits he has never tried.

all i said that was that i was skeptical. Simply providing another view point. I suppose it bothers me when several members get all excited and grovel at your feet. Even if your tactics work for you, others should know that it doesn't always work that way. So many factors, not the least of which is location go into what "2013 prep work" will work for any one hunter. I guess I just dislike when any one persons opinion or thoughts on any subject on any forum is taken as gospel. We all have opinions and some of the newer and younger hunters should know this. So please don't get all huffy and puffy when I question one of yours.

edit to say I cant believe I sucked myself back into this when I said I wouldn't :( off to plant my veggie garden :)

Edited by Belo

Funny you say that... I woke up in a bad dream sweating and breathing heavy that I should of pinched the blooms off. I threw the cover off at 2am ran outside pitch dark and pinched the 7 little blooms off. On the run out I asked myself, what would phade do and at the moment I knew I was doing the right thing...

Blooms are gone now I can finally sleep.

Oh by the way, was at Walmart yesterday and they had some very nice trees out and for only 20$ too

Tip...go to the manager in about another two weeks and ask him if he'll knock some off the prices of the remaining trees. I got a few a couple years ago for $7 each there. I picked up a couple mutsu crispin and granny smith this season. I was quite surprised at the quality of the stock.