Black Flash

I've been getting quite a few PMs asking about black flash. I figure it best to just have this thread to save me from having to re-type, and make it a little easier to resource.

Right now, game cams can be had in white flash (traditional or LED), red IR, or "black flash." Black flash is a term used by multiple manufacturers and hunters in general; however, it means different things to different companies and people. One company's black flash may not be the same product type at another company.

In my belief a black flash cam should be invisible to you locked into a closet, bathroom without a window, etc. and not being able to see it at 3 feet or so. The problem is that human eyes vary a bit, and some people are better at seeing black flash than others - so one person may see a black flash at 3 feet when another cannot.

A good example of a difference would be a Covert Black 60 or a Bushnell black flash compared to say the Hunten GS35 or some early black flash moultries. I can see the Hunten fire at about 7-8 feet....just barely, but still, much more than the Covert or Bushnell. So, when you hear black flash, don't automatically assume it is completely invisible to the human eye, or deer eye. A covert or Bushnell is a good choice...they seem to have solid black flash capabilities. Reconyx too, but that's a different price class of cams most won't buy. I prefer Covert for a variety of reasons, but wouldn't outright scare someone from a Bushnell purchase if their mind is set on it.

Black flash night pic quality is apple to apple a bit less clear than the same cam in IR. A good comparison is the Black 60 vs Red 40, or the Primos Blackout vs. their comparable red flash model (46 or 60). Now, in most cases, it's not a big difference and really shouldn't scare people away from the benefit of invisibility. The minor trade off is worth it in nearly every instance for every hunter. Eventually red IR will go the way of the dodo and dinosaur as tech develops and price points drop. White flash will remain as it has fans and has color night pics. Red IR is just a stick in the mud with no real room for development.

As long as you don't need white flash, I suggest buying future cams in legit black flash only. Its ability to prevent mature bucks from showing cam avoidance has become clear to me. It also helps in security needs.

If you have any questions, ask here and I can answer if I know it. If not, I can usually figure it out pretty quick.

• Like 1

Black flash night pic quality is apple to apple a bit less clear than the same cam in IR. A good comparison is the Black 60 vs Red 40, or the Primos Blackout vs. their comparable red flash model (46 or 60). Now, in most cases, it's not a big difference and really shouldn't scare people away from the benefit of invisibility. The minor trade off is worth it in nearly every instance for every hunter.

Good post!

I've only run the Primos Blackout 60 and noticed no difference whatsoever compared to any red flash models I've owned.

In all honesty, I think the BF had better quality pics, but suffered some in the motion blurr department and flash range. Not due to any difference in available light that affected shutter speeds or anything like that..., rather deer didn't notice the BF illuminating, therefore they never broke their stride while passing by. My red flash will stop and hold them every time it triggers. I never had a blurr issue when stopping game in front of the BF unit with scents the same as with the red flash models. Just thought that might be a relevant point to add to the post.

Motion blur is where I notice the pic degradation the most. I should have noted that. Good point Wooly.

That Primos though...man that doesn't compare to some of the new black flash models. Even the new primos line. You must have got a good one because return rates seem to be higher on that model. The ones who do get a good one seem to like it for the price point.

Shutter speeds and going the two lense route are the likely future roadmapping of cams. Many companies are toying with the shutter speeds now and Reconyx seems to have a viable two lense system getting rid of the filter.

Edited by phade

Even the new primos line. You must have got a good one because return rates seem to be higher on that model.

Haha- actually, I've already returned 3 of them myself!

I used to run it on 15 second video mode and man was that frustrating! I'd get a 3 second flash of a buck walking through the frame, then 12 seconds of nothing because he'd never stop to pay any attention to the cam.

They'd stand there stairing at my red flash set ups for up to 3 seperate triggers sometimes for several minutes. The stealth factor of BF has it's pros and cons like anything I suppose depending on what's important to ya.

I haven't posted/hosted videos, but would like to do so here to showcase red IR on video spooking mature bucks.

Can anyone help me on this? I don't plan on posting videos often, or ever again, as I usually don't share them...so I'd like to avoid having to set up an account somewhere if possible. I will if I have to, but just checking to see what options there are.

That's why red IR is so dangerous...video really shows the damage done with mature bucks.

The first two videos, they are spaced out more than a month. The cams were also set out for more than a month on each soak...so the intrusion was not really a factor.

I love the last one with his breathing. I am confused though, isn't the point of the black flash so that camera is not noticed by deer or is that just during day? Seems like someone eases videos was IR and deer didn't react like that. maybe sampotter videos

Wow, cant get much clearer than that. The noise the ir cams make is a slight thunk when they first engage (filter dropping into place) but the light from the flash is clearly visible. Black flash cams have the same slight clunk from the filter but I have yet to see one that spooked the deer like that. I guess Ill find out, as I plan on using video mode with my new black flash cams.

It really makes me think of all of the series of pics I have of mature bucks with my old Moultrie I60s. I would run 3 shot bursts, and I had these 2 particular mature bucks that the series didnt make alot of sense to me until now that I realize the burst caught their reaction to the first cam activation. I watched through binos as one of those bucks avoid the very same cam on the same tree the next summer.