Turkey Hunting vs. Temp./Weather

LuckyPickle123

Hotter days at the end of March, or at the end of April?  Which tend to pump up the birds more judging by your hunting experiences?  For example, last year it was a lot warmer about a few weeks earlier than this.  This year it seems to be taking a while to get warm.  Last year, every bird we talked to came in screaming, even some old mature birds (3-5 year old range)  My buddy and I went out 5 times, everytime we called in a longbeard.  We have a few spots, but they are not gold mines by any means.  We are great callers, well above average.  I believe this is a huge factor (weather / warmth vs cold) when it comes to shooting gobblers.

Anyways, first post for me, Cant wait to meet some fellow hunters of NYS.  Counting down the days til the next season!!

To me its always seemed that when the weather gets warm/warmer the birds get more pumped. When you get that first weather break like we are getting now the gobbling gets heavy. Although turkey hunting around my area was weak last season and it seems to be heading the same way this season. Yotes are getting them.

last year most breeding and egg laying was well underway by early april. hens can store male sperm for 30 days before they let it impregnate their eggs. I think last year toms were lonely early. this year is more of a normal spring and I expect the warmer last weeks of april early may to be good with gobbling dropping off by 2nd week of may. most hens should start to be laying by then. last year they were already sitting!!

• Like 2

I think this is going to be a tough season. Last season was some decent action as the gobblers were looking for hens as most (as noted above) were already sitting.

I've been seeing fewer turkey overall this season and the past week has been really quiet behind the house...last year, I could step on the deck and hear them every morning sounding off. Only heard them three days so far this month and seen one strutter across the street where I have historically not seen them before as they never used to roost there. Hope that is not the case as I can't hunt over there.

last year most breeding and egg laying was well underway by early april. hens can store male sperm for 30 days before they let it impregnate their eggs. I think last year toms were lonely early. this year is more of a normal spring and I expect the warmer last weeks of april early may to be good with gobbling dropping off by 2nd week of may. most hens should start to be laying by then. last year they were already sitting!!

You an i must have been hunting the same areas! Last year was a bust for me.

I think this is going to be a tough season. Last season was some decent action as the gobblers were looking for hens as most (as noted above) were already sitting.

I've been seeing fewer turkey overall this season and the past week has been really quiet behind the house...last year, I could step on the deck and hear them every morning sounding off. Only heard them three days so far this month and seen one strutter across the street where I have historically not seen them before as they never used to roost there. Hope that is not the case as I can't hunt over there.

Ive seen more turkeys in the past two days here then i did all season last year. Last year i saw tons of turkeys in march....a few in april and a handful during the turkey season. Its strange how it is from one year to the next. And as stated....they like throwing curveballs!

Last season on opening weekend I actually stumbled across a turkey nest with hatched eggs! I could not believe what i saw.

I had a hen nest about 20 yards from my blind....i knew that wasnt a good sign. Swme as you on opening weekend.

I think weather has more impact on hunters than turkeys,

with a brain the size of a peanut, they don't have the ability to think, maybee I will wait a couple weeks for it to warm up

the fact remains turkey population is down, and I don't see it coming back to where it once was

with the number of predators on the rise, turkey numbers are going to stay down,

I think weather has more impact on hunters than turkeys,

with a brain the size of a peanut, they don't have the ability to think, maybee I will wait a couple weeks for it to warm up

the fact remains turkey population is down, and I don't see it coming back to where it once was

with the number of predators on the rise, turkey numbers are going to stay down,

I have to go by visual proof. Could be predators...but the last two seasons we have had an earlier "spring" than what would be considered normal. Seems as though this spring is shaping up to be a good one. Small brain but can easily fool a hunter :) Edited by TeeBugg

breedeing is always in march and april every year,our season is designed to fall after for that specfic reason alone. I get sick of hearing we should open the season in april. you would kill off prime breeders. we do this for turkey but run the deer season thru the rut...want to save bucks close season during the rut!! but I digress... the hen can delay the implantation of sperm for 30 days if the weather is off, or conditions not right

too cold for example. birds are always here and population has been stable for several years. no where near the numbers in late 90's early 2000's though. but I open my acreage for trapping and keep coyotes/fox in check . raccoons and opposoms are the worst thing out there for nests..damn egg eaters!!! once they can get up in a tree the coyote/fox can't do much to them.

I hunted the youth season last year with my son, can say without a doubt there was more activity in April then there was when May rolled around.

Agreed. I wouldnt oppose a mid april opener for turkeys. I would think if all the breeding is done is march/april, a mid april opener wouldnt be a big burden on the breeding cycle. Im no expert just my thoughts

breedeing is always in march and april every year,our season is designed to fall after for that specfic reason alone. I get sick of hearing we should open the season in april. you would kill off prime breeders. we do this for turkey but run the deer season thru the rut...want to save bucks close season during the rut!! but I digress... the hen can delay the implantation of sperm for 30 days if the weather is off, or conditions not right

too cold for example. birds are always here and population has been stable for several years. no where near the numbers in late 90's early 2000's though. but I open my acreage for trapping and keep coyotes/fox in check . raccoons and opposoms are the worst thing out there for nests..damn egg eaters!!! once they can get up in a tree the coyote/fox can't do much to them.

I agree 99.9%, with the exception of a stable flock, numbers show the last 2 season poult survival has been down, and the number of hens not brooding, has gone up slightly

the late 90's early 2000's were amazeing

raccoons and oposoms are bad....crows are a real problem to, and often over looked

i only state stable population here as in my hunting grounds i know the population as i live here 24/7. We in nys hunt late breeding or renesting time. toms are mostly alone or with hens that did not have sucessful nesting/nest. anyone else remember 1 bearded bird may 1-15th one 16-31st? mid april is about peak for gobbling early would be mid march. just like a few does get bred early same with hens. and early may there are the late birds (jennys) from year before. a mid april opener would really hurt as a lot of breeding birds would be removed, even though poligamistic there are always more hens than toms and excessive breeding would wear them down same as a buck. its why i always try to take an adult henin the fall..evens the sex ratio a little.

I definately don't want april hunting I beleive that is a bad idea

I definately remember the old days 1 before the 15th and 1 after or both after

I do wish people would take predator control a little more serious, as that would help us all

not just fox and coyote, but the others, raccoon opossums and crow

I definately don't want april hunting I beleive that is a bad idea

I definately remember the old days 1 before the 15th and 1 after or both after

I do wish people would take predator control a little more serious, as that would help us all

not just fox and coyote, but the others, raccoon opossums and crow

I have no doubt that coyotes take a bigger toll on Turkeys than deer..........and the other ones you mention? all they need is to find a nest and they wipe out the whole batch, and probably can get the hen because the few I've stumbled across on the nest sit tight unless you just about step on them.

I say the fishers,fox and coon are playing a big role on turkey population decreasing. Not by killing turkeys persey. But alot of nests being found and eggs are eatin or babys being eatin. Fishers are decreasing the coon population as well. They climb trees and grab em they fall done deal. Turkey season has preety well sucked thr last 2-3 years. Before that there was toms every where. Now it seems there all bulked up to certain pieces of property. 6-8 there and not a single one 5 miles up the road.