Snake hunting

i should not even bother with this becouse those who call themselfs sportsman or lovers of the out doos but insist on killing an animal that they dont like or understand but for the record it was a milk snake there are no wild corn snakes in ny and as was stated all reptile are protected by state law killing an animal like that ie no differant than killing a deer out of season period we shoul all be thankfull for what is left of our wild life becouse it wont be here for mutch longer the was we are destroying all the habitat

No offense to you, but if I have a snake on my kitchen floor....it's going to die. I'm not picking it up, scooting it out of the house, trying to get it into a bag, etc.

I'm killing it. Period. I have a 3 month old baby and three dogs. I'm killing it. Let me repeat - I am killing it.

State law stops when the animal because a danger. You may think a non-poisonous snake is not a danger, but when it is on someone's kitchen floor...it's become one.

Some people...

• Like 1

Lol....ppl do need to learn to identify their snakes....and I'll agree if you don't know and it's in the house...it needs to die....When baby sitting my 3mos old nephew at my sitters home in the hills above Stony Brook...we had a rattle snake get in the house...

While playing fetch with their Samoyed he refused to get the ball I rolled through the dinning room to the living room in the big farm house...just whined...I went to get the ball and as I reached down heard the  chitt ttttttt of the snake and slowly brought my hand back....it was stretched out along where the floor meets the wall...I called a friend that was over in to confirm I was right....before I could get a moving blanket over it it made it to the register....being small (relatively) We had to leave the house while it was fumigated...to make sure there weren't other mature ones around...the baby was never put on a blanket on the floor to play again in that house

That said snakes are a very very good thing...not to be killed on sight...learn your snakes let them do their thing and help you out with rodent control ...feeding hawks owls... fox...ect and if bitten buy a garter...Don't yank it or shake it off....That is what does the damage and causes all the pain...their very sharp and numerous teeth face backwards in their mouth...just squeeze either side of its jaw and push foreward to release it....rats..snakes  rats...snakes...I'll take a snake over the rat everyday

Didn't mean to cause a big discussion on whether or not the snake should be killed, the deed is done now anyways. The snake had to be "disposed of" because is this now the second time it has been spotted in the house, if i had just released it into my yard i believe it would of just made its way back into the basement and eventually into the house again, based solely on the need for warmth. And i do have a one year old niece and  i would rather not have her and the snake playing on the same floor.

greensider? destrying habitat really? nys is more forested now than turn of last century, water and air cleaner than just even a few years before not to mention decades ago. more sportsmen are creating habitat and food specificially for wildlife... i belive moose populations in ny are increasing as are bear, fisher, to the dislike of many bobcats,brush wolves(coyote) all are on increase... even timberrattlers are increasing as are bald eagles and raptors in general.... personlally i don't kill snakes but if someone has a problem with them in a residence ...let them take what is appropriate for them action .

• Like 1

When I was a kid I was infatuated by any snake I saw and spent a lot of time handling them whenever I'd see one. I got zapped quite a few times and quickly learned there wasn't much to fear about them.(besides a bacterial infection I knew nothing about at the time) Garter snakes typicaly strike when provoked but don't hang on to what they bite unless you taste like a frog,lol. It really feels no different than sticking your thumb in a bass' mouth but sometimes there's a hint of blood. I'd let them hit me just to freak my mother out!

One time on a Canadian fishing trip I found a nest of baby snakes along the river under a bridge. I scooped one up that I had seperated from the rest of the pack, when pops came along yelling for me wondering what I was playing with after watching me head down to the river alone. 

Long story short.... unknown to me at the time, I had made friends with the only rattle snakes I've ever seen in my life up to this point. The camp owner knew about them, but didn't think to mention anything to us because of they were in a hard to get to spot nobody really ever went. Mom and dad never let me outta their site for the rest of the week long trip,lol. Probably a good thing I didn't put him in my pocket to keep the worms company!

When I was a kid I was infatuated by any snake I saw and spent a lot of time handling them whenever I'd see one. I got zapped quite a few times and quickly learned there wasn't much to fear about them.(besides a bacterial infection I knew nothing about at the time) Garter snakes typicaly strike when provoked but don't hang on to what they bite unless you taste like a frog,lol. It really feels no different than sticking your thumb in a bass' mouth but sometimes there's a hint of blood. I'd let them hit me just to freak my mother out!

One time on a Canadian fishing trip I found a nest of baby snakes along the river under a bridge. I scooped one up that I had seperated from the rest of the pack, when pops came along yelling for me wondering what I was playing with after watching me head down to the river alone. 

Long story short.... unknown to me at the time, I had made friends with the only rattle snakes I've ever seen in my life up to this point. The camp owner knew about them, but didn't think to mention anything to us because of they were in a hard to get to spot nobody really ever went. Mom and dad never let me outta their site for the rest of the week long trip,lol. Probably a good thing I didn't put him in my pocket to keep the worms company!

We might be calling you Wool-ette if that happened!

i should not even bother with this becouse those who call themselfs sportsman or lovers of the out doos but insist on killing an animal that they dont like or understand but for the record it was a milk snake there are no wild corn snakes in ny and as was stated all reptile are protected by state law killing an animal like that ie no differant than killing a deer out of season period we shoul all be thankfull for what is left of our wild life becouse it wont be here for mutch longer the was we are destroying all the habitat

it is certainly different when it's in your home. I don't "hate" snakes, i simply hate when they startle me by not moving until i'm almost on top of them.

now that is funny right there.